More Rings Than Coins On This Beach Hunt

Thank you VL, I was using the White's TDI Beach Hunter that member Cobill graciously offered me through the classifieds here earlier this year. My previous one was recently repaired by Centreville Electronics so I am thrilled to have 2 of these harder-to-find beach detectors now.

23 hours ago, matt said:

Great hunt and finds! Hope that Cartier is the real deal.

Funny how many fakes are out there. I found one recently and saw it in the scoop. I was really excited until I grabbed it out of the scoop and it was really lightweight.

The Benchmark brand of wedding bands must be popular. The platinum band I found in June was made by them. Until I found it I had never heard of them.

Matt, I believe that you are right about the Benchmark brand since I have seen others found. This one seems to be of good quality and I would assume that others are as well.

Congrats on being back on the gold trail.  I have several Benchmark bands that are mostly 14K.  Here is a picture of my Cartier collection.  All with the same serial number "52833A".  I found a real one a couple years ago and let it go for $500 and the young lady was thrilled to get it.  It had a real serial number in it.  The SS fake version often test positive with 18K acid so I would be wary until verified.  SoCal beaches seem to be a haven for fake Cartiers. 

Cuniagau

IMG_4413.jpg

1 hour ago, cuniagau said:

Congrats on being back on the gold trail.  I have several Benchmark bands that are mostly 14K.  Here is a picture of my Cartier collection.  All with the same serial number "52833A".  I found a real one a couple years ago and let it go for $500 and the young lady was thrilled to get it.  It had a real serial number in it.  The SS fake version often test positive with 18K acid so I would be wary until verified.  SoCal beaches seem to be a haven for fake Cartiers. 

Cuniagau

IMG_4413.jpg

Thanks for the picture cuniagau, The weight and serial number seem consistent with other genuine Cartier pieces but I will eventually try to get it authenticated. How were you able to verify that the one you found was real?

3 hours ago, cuniagau said:

The SS fake version often test positive with 18K acid....

Specific Gravity method (from the Archimedes Principle) should easily distinguish between stainless steel (SS) and 18k gold alloy, particularly because the ring doesn't have any stones.  Good to know that SS gives a positive result on an acid test, though.  I didn't realize that so thanks for the tip.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Specific Gravity method (from the Archimedes Principle) should easily distinguish between stainless steel (SS) and 18k gold alloy, particularly because the ring doesn't have any stones.  Good to know that SS gives a positive result on an acid test, though.  I didn't realize that so thanks for the tip.

I didn't know this either so I just tested some stainless steel and it did well on the acid test. However, the stainless steel seemed much harder than the white gold Cartier ring when scratching the test stone.

2 hours ago, abenson said:

Wow nice haul. That a good bit of jewelry.

Thanks Abenson, Most of the jewelry I find nowadays is costume, of course, and finding 2 - 18k's in one hunt might be a first for me.

11 hours ago, Compass said:

Thanks for the picture cuniagau, The weight and serial number seem consistent with other genuine Cartier pieces but I will eventually try to get it authenticated. How were you able to verify that the one you found was real?

Jewelry store on that one.  I have since started to run a specific gravity on any suspects but will still use the Jewelry store if I even suspect that the acid test or SG seems off in any way.  Any named brand or high-end piece of jewelry that I find, I will consider fake until I can confirm it authenticity.  (Cartier, Gucci, T&Co)  Cartier has a certain Font and certain spacing and of course a serial number for each piece and the engraving is very crisp and precise. 

SS and some older Brass will test positive on scratch test..SS will hold all the way to 18-22k acid sometimes...as noted above that it's fairly easy to tell the gold by the softness of the metal during the scratch test...Nice hunt Compass looking forward to getting back in the hunt (for jewelry) myself soon..thanks for sharing 

strick