Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

A Few Observations On The Manticore, After About 50 Hours (and A Few Recent Nice Finds)...

40 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

After talking to Andrew about it, I went out to my test garden.  And found that on the old version, not the update, in ATHC, I can make a 7" silver dime have more scattered ID and more "smeary" audio by just increasing the sensitivity from 18 to 25.  The Manticore is still "stable" at 25 in my backyard, without chatter, but the ID's get quite noticeably more jumpy and the audio suffers accordingly with the increased sensitivity.  At 18 and a controlled short sweep the numbers are within 5 digits between 75-80 repeatedly.  At 25, the low numbers go slightly lower but it's the high numbers which go kind of bonkers with 90's coming up about every other sweep and high 80's popping up a lot.  So, more like 20 numbers between 74-94, with even a 98 or two popping up.

I believe @phrunt has been saying for some time that decreased sensitivity gives him more stable ID's with no apparent loss of depth, before the update.

That dime, my backyard dirt, recovery speed of 6 or 7 is best, too.

Coming from an 800, reducing sensitivity and increasing recovery speed don't seem intuitive ways to improve deep target response.  I think the Manticore really is a different animal altogether and the suggestion to not treat it like an Equinox is good advice.

- Dave

Interesting for sure.  I believe I was running sensitivity 25  -- no issues at all with EMI -- the day I dug the Seated and the Reale.  I was at recovery speed 4.  Looks like I have some ideas to test...i.e. to bump UP on the recovery speed, and DOWN on the sensitivity, and scrutinize to see how this changes the response on deep coins...

Steve

• Like 5

I'm happy on 16 to 18 for my sensitivity for coins, It appears I'm losing no depth at those levels over my Nox and it's more stable on the ID's.  Over 20 I start to notice the ID's going downhill and by 25 they're pretty bad on the older firmware.  I have places I can run at 35 and the detector is perfectly stable, no EMI issues yet the target ID's just aren't good at such high sensitivity levels.  

Where I can see the high sensitivity levels being beneficial is prospecting when I can get the little coil, I don't care about ID's then, I'm digging everything so hopefully it gives it a little boost over the Nox.

There is a learning curve with the Manticore that's for sure, it's not just a Nox that's got more bells and whistles, it's a different animal.  

I think they've adjusted the sensitivity level scale on the new firmware, as the ID's did improve in higher sensitivity levels all the way up to 24 for me really but I think 24 now was 20 on the old firmware or something similar.

If I'm detecting a place that I want to cherry pick for stuff and dig as little as possible the CTX, Nox 800 and Vanquish are certainly the better choices than the Manticore though.   I can pick our coins with about 90% accuracy on them, about 60% on the Manticore.  Maybe with time and more experience I will improve on the Manty.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I don't care about ID's then, I'm digging everything so hopefully it gives it a little boost over the Nox.

Why not using the 6000 then if you don't care about IDs and dig everything? Just curious because I plan to use the Maticore only for trashy areas where I really need some sort of ID. Any other advantages that would favor the Manticore over the 6000? Thx.

GC

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

Why not using the 6000 then if you don't care about IDs and dig everything? Just curious because I plan to use the Maticore only for trashy areas where I really need some sort of ID. Any other advantages that would favor the Manticore over the 6000? Thx.

GC

Because the VLF's find the smallest gold better than the 6000, even in 6000 dig holes from recovering a bigger bit you can find very small bits the 6000 is blind to with a VLF.   It all adds up and the tiny ones are fun to find and we tend to have a lot more very small gold than bigger bits here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abenson said:

I think this may well be the most helpful Manticore video I have watched to date.  Thanks @abenson!  I know how much work it is not only to do the testing, the back and forth with the updates, the coils, all of that - but also the video production.  The effort is appreciated and I think will be helpful to many.

That up averaging with the M8 IS troubling...

- Dave

• Like 5

On 7/31/2023 at 5:55 PM, abenson said:

The video below...

Excellent, informative video as always.  What I noticed (at least I think I did) besides what you commented on was the target trace for the clean sounding signals didn't match the audio.  Ok, when the dime was 98-99 the target trace was where it should be -- on the centerline -- but for the other targets the trace was in the lower section right on the mask setting line.

• Like 2