Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

The few times I've done it, getting stuff out from under/around rocks or pier lumber was not fun. ?

I also dig iron on a small beach I go to to get it out of the way, and at the larger one I'll dig it if it's shallow, usually those bits are sharp. ?

Nice hunt, at least you got some silver. ?

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well congrats on adding to your silver total, sohN, well done! It looks like the Manticore spared you from digging so much iron and any day on a beach is a win! ?

The Manticore odes well on most of my beaches for iron. Some beaches, not so well, but overall  it's good. I think it is better than the Equinox on iron. 

On 10/4/2023 at 12:41 AM, geof_junk said:

I like the TEN to ONE ratio of coins to Aluminium pull tabs. ☠️ That is good indication of ID capabilities of the Manticore, ?  or should I say skill of operator. ?

It's the Manticore, not me ? I would dig every pull tab on the planet if I was in charge. This time though, I think other detectorists cleaned up most of the tabs, as well as maybe some got pulled out to sea.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, F350Platinum said:

The few times I've done it, getting stuff out from under/around rocks or pier lumber was not fun. ?

I also dig iron on a small beach I go to to get it out of the way, and at the larger one I'll dig it if it's shallow, usually those bits are sharp. ?

Nice hunt, at least you got some silver. ?

Thanks.  It's getting harder to find quality targets at these beaches. If there is not a lot of movement from storms, then you have to either go deep or dig in areas others won't want to do. I tried it with a sand scoop and it was no fun. I should have just got one of my land shovels and tried prying rocks with them. Even my spade would not work there. 

9 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Impressive , as always ...

My fave in this batch was the blue engine , at least that's what I think it is !

Just kidding , silver beats plastic toys every day with a cap E and a cap D.?  WTG

Thank you. Yep the blue loco was wedged in between some rocks. Took me a bit to get it out. I'm just happy to see any silver come out these days. I'm due for a heavy iron digging day soon. I've been on a war project for 2 Wednesdays in a row. Only 1 tiny 30 caliber round ball in 2 days work ?. Saying things are starting out slow would be an understatement ?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Finding just one of something you want to find , even over two days is not even close to a skunk . Which is a very good place to be ! ?

But I need more ?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 7 was a Friday the 13th hunt. ? I finally got myself to try a beach I have never been to. I was a bit leery since I selfishly wanted to continue my silver streak, but it ended up well. From Google earth, I saw areas I wanted to try, so I hit a spot there, similar to my other beaches. I was hoping for about 15” of sand followed by a solid clay layer, but after digging a test hole to 24” I never hit bottom. So that meant things could go way deeper than I could detect. Bummer. I wandered around for about 2 hours with not much luck and I was about to head out to another beach, (also that I have never been to), but fortunately I stumbled onto a copper cent. So, I stopped to grids the area, and it started to produce a lot of coins in a relatively small area. I couldn’t believe how these coins could be missed, as a lot of the beach was very quiet. I even saw dig holes from someone else close to where the coins were coming up. But digging a deeper hole, I found out why. There are not many places the GPX struggles, but the black sand in this area was the richest I have ever seen at a beach. The Garrett pinpointer could barely pick up a dime at 1” in that black sand. Small targets were almost impossible to pinpoint. I was fortunate enough to get some silver, including a nice filigree heart locket with what I think is a piece of amber inside of it, along with its broken chain. Also found was random silver bead and what I believe to be an odd silver pendant. I looked it up and there are lots of these bar pendants that you can have engraved. Never seen one of these. So, a great finish to a sparse beginning. Not sure I will go back there until there is some erosion, but I did way better than I thought I would.

20231014_183329.jpg

20231014_184135.jpg

20231014_184921.jpg

20231014_184425.jpg

20231013_144952.jpg

• Like 9

Nice hunt School!

That is some mean black sand, looks a lot like my local beach with the fine white stuff shot through with black. ? Probably why I don't find much there. All I ever get is water at 24", sometimes sooner but that's the Potomac. ? The deep beer cans always sound great tho.

Nice pendant and one of your pieces of bling (lower left) looks like something I would look at later - very closely - to see if it was part of a cut coin.

That's some digging. ?

• Like 2