Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

Beach hunt #5 was a better hunt after I got home. I had this idea that I was going to go to beach 2 (iron beach) and dig a section of all targets, removing the iron and looking for the deep nonferrous or the nonferrous that was co-mingled with the iron. That was the plan, but when I got there I was faced with the reality of just how much iron was in a small area. The area I picked was the same area that the small silver ring came from the previous beach hunt. I figured being that high up on the beach, that silver ring was probably not lost alone. Usually when someone shakes a blanket, you lose all your rings. So, I wanted to cheat a bit and slant my odds of finding another ring so I could continue my silver streak. Besides fighting the people that just have to pick my spot to sit, I eventually could do my section in pieces after they left. I switched coils and detectors opting for the GPX with a low gain setting and the small Minelab 10x5 elliptical coil. After 3 hours I had had enough of the iron but did manage some larger brass targets as well as another tiny silver ring. Really close to where I figured it might be if it even existed at all. So, I moved on and did other areas for a short time but decided to leave and head to my favorite #1 beach. I changed coils to the 12.5” coil but then decided I wanted to try the grass areas to see if the GPX could pull some high conductors out of the tons of pull tabs and aluminum foil that were left there. It was a very silver rich area for people that did it way before I found out about it. I really should have used the 10x5 for the job, but I was too lazy to change back to it. So, I must say it was no fun trying to listen for high conductors while hearing the shallow low conductors screaming at me. But I did find some coins missed, so it has potential for future silver. I then headed to the beach and hunted for another 5 hours and got a silver chain and name pendant, 2 silver dimes, a decent amount of clad and copper cents. I headed home and briefly looked over the finds, even showing the little silver ring to my wife. The next day the story changes a bit. First off, I had 2 nickel sized coins from the iron beach that were really encrusted. When I broke off the crust I exposed a V nickel. The other one turned out to be a war nickel. Looking over the copper cents, I noticed an Indian head cent. And finally, when cleaning (in better light) the “silver” ring , it suddenly looked mighty yellow. It’s actually a 10K gold ring. What was a mediocre hunt turned out way better than I thought. Unfortunately, that means I have to go back to the iron infested area again.

20230923_130937.jpg

20230923_131420.jpg

20230923_131750.jpg

20230923_131938.jpg

20230923_132646.jpg

20230923_133403.jpg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 3

Outstanding. 👍 is that ring stone emerald or Tourmaline? 10k indicates the latter but one can hope.

Heck of a hunt, guess you had to remove all that iron to get stuff and set yourself up for the future. 🤔 that's a lot of digging. Cool you got some interesting older coins as well. It's often tough to find the individual that lost the dog tag, sand it looks like an older one. It has the "Tooth cut". You'll probably never find Violetta... 🤣

I'm currently held hostage by TS Ophelia, I'm hoping it will expose some older stuff for me by tomorrow.

• Like 1

What a great hunt. I like all the stuff you found.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Outstanding. 👍 is that ring stone emerald or Tourmaline? 10k indicates the latter but one can hope.

Heck of a hunt, guess you had to remove all that iron to get stuff and set yourself up for the future. 🤔 that's a lot of digging. Cool you got some interesting older coins as well. It's often tough to find the individual that lost the dog tag, sand it looks like an older one. It has the "Tooth cut". You'll probably never find Violetta... 🤣

I'm currently held hostage by TS Ophelia, I'm hoping it will expose some older stuff for me by tomorrow.

I'm thinking the green stone is a green Garnet. Maybe even synthetic if they even do that. Unfortunately I didn't remove ALL the iron, just the top layer 😅 I used to think dog tags were just military, but anyone can get one made up for them, so most are probably not military unfortunately.

Held hostage by Ophelia??? Young man ....swim out there with your detector and get some flood coins before someone else gets them. 😲

1 minute ago, Rick N. MI said:

What a great hunt. I like all the stuff you found.

Thanks. I'm always looking for areas other people can't or won't hunt. No one is going to dig that iron and no machine out there is going to see coins next to them chunks of broken big pipe pieces. The only way to get what's there is to dig and expose everything in that hole. Sometimes you get just iron, but other times you score silver or gold.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

Gold feels soooo good.

- Dave

Yes it does 🙃 even if it's tiny.

• Like 1

SOHN

Good to see you back on sand city turf and clearing away everything you can. 

And then there it was , the ring.

That thing would look great to me even if it was "still silver" . ..👍 

I've been digging every solid beep clearing (some of) the junk here at the fair camping as I go but like your location there is just sooooo much of it but my odds get better (I think) every "voyage" arrrrr🏴‍☠️

Today I was digging a pull tab hoping for a nickel and it turned out to actually be a tiny skeleton key , it was yellow but definitely not gold ...🤔

I've been saving it all up for my "mother of all" picture post , coming up when the ground freezes 😢.

• Like 2

Congrats on your silver, gold, and old coins! That old dog tag is a great find too, well done! It looks like you’re back in the groove! 😎

• Like 1

Your definitely a shining example for endurance, and patience! That's alot of hours invested; again! Also, to me, proves you gotta dig the trash, to find the good stuff; as in clearing the way to the masked finds areas!  Obviously, most are not willing to, or can't do that! Seems like a continuing winning formula for you! I wonder if anyone detecting after you does any better, or just gives up!😆

Anyway, gotta also give some credit to any (especially yours) spouse that endures our hobby, and the amount of hours away! I'm sure some relish their own time alone, but other's are not so understanding! 🍀👍👍

PS- While I do miss your "Trash Art"™️! If that was a consession to your wife; timewise, I completely understand, and commend your dedication to your "other" hobby?!!👰😂

• Like 3

Wives that enable our fun are priceless.  My Wife just giggles at my excitement over what I think are killer finds.  She always asks if I found anything good, and when I say yes and show her an old silver dime and a junky piece of .925 jewelry she really does just giggle.  She thinks it's just dumb, but cute 😆.  I think some of the silly stuff she likes to do is just dumb, but cute too 😁.  It works for us!

- Dave

• Like 4
  • Haha 1