Killer B Headphones

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I am hoping to get a general opinion on the Killer b wasp or Hornet headphones. I need dual volume control due to hearing loss in one ear. Will these work with the Equinox ? and eventually the Manticore ? How do they compare with the CTX version of the Sun ray pro gold headphones ? 

Living in Europe I will have to buy from the US so need good advice prior to pulling the trigger, thx 

I have 2 pair of Killer Bs, Wasp & Hornet. They are excellent.  I believe they & the Sun Ray Golds are very similar. They have a stereo/mono mode switch so they are compatible with most all detectors. They have very little Bass tone so work best for me on the Vista X & Tarsacci. The AT Max, MXT, F5 & Anfibio need more Bass, so the lower ohm Garrett MS-2s work best for them. I do not have any Minelab machines.   They have a website & you can contact the owner, John Smith for advice. Colonial Metal Detectors also sells them, ask for Richard. Either one can ship Overseas to you.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chesroy said:

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I am hoping to get a general opinion on the Killer b wasp or Hornet headphones. I need dual volume control due to hearing loss in one ear. Will these work with the Equinox ? and eventually the Manticore ? How do they compare with the CTX version of the Sun ray pro gold headphones ? 

Living in Europe I will have to buy from the US so need good advice prior to pulling the trigger, thx 

Gerry McMullen ( @Gerry in Idaho ) sells those and is quite high on them.  If it doesn't cost much to phone him from Europe, you can call him and get all the details.  Or just private message him here.

As far as "eventually the Manticore", do you mean via cord (i.e. plugging directly into the unit) or via Minelab (proprietary) wireless?  Gerry can answer the first but no one but Minelab (and they're not talking 😠 ) knows what the future is with their wireless system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Gerry McMullen ( @Gerry in Idaho ) sells those and is quite high on them.  If it doesn't cost much to phone him from Europe, you can call him and get all the details.  Or just private message him here.

As far as "eventually the Manticore", do you mean via cord (i.e. plugging directly into the unit) or via Minelab (proprietary) wireless?  Gerry can answer the first but no one but Minelab (and they're not talking 😠 ) knows what the future is with their wireless system.

Thx GB I will contact Gerry, info I am getting over here from a few sources suggest that Minelab will provide a module in the future so thats great news as far as I am concerned. But they've got to pull their finger out and provide coils first, testers over here have all got both types of coils so when Minelab have all the info they need I am sure they will be abundant in good numbers. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chesroy said:

...Info I am getting over here from a few sources suggest that Minelab will provide a module in the future so thats great news as far as I am concerned.

I haven't heard that.  Care to elaborate (e.g. provide sources, etc.)?  I and a lot of other people hope you are right.  IMO the provided headphones (ML 105's) have decent sound but are poor at blocking out noise.  Furthermore, in hot weather a lot of us want to use earbuds.  In recent years we've been spoiled by wireless options from just about every manufacturer.  I prefer not to go back to being tethered to the detector, but "if I have to, I guess...."  (Red Green TV show quote)

I hope Gerry can fix you up with some Killer B's.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I haven't heard that.  Care to elaborate (e.g. provide sources, etc.)?  I and a lot of other people hope you are right.  IMO the provided headphones (ML 105's) have decent sound but are poor at blocking out noise.  Furthermore, in hot weather a lot of us want to use earbuds.  In recent years we've been spoiled by wireless options from just about every manufacturer.  I prefer not to go back to being tethered to the detector, but "if I have to, I guess...."  (Red Green TV show quote)

I hope Gerry can fix you up with some Killer B's.

GB quoted below is a reply I received from Minelab Australia last week !

"I unfortunately don't have any further information regarding the audio module for the MANTICORE, EQUINOX 900, EQUINOX 700 & X-TERRA PRO at this stage.
We have had a number of inquiries regarding wireless modules for these detectors and our engineering team have been looking into this. They are quite secretive when it comes to new things as they don't want to release too much until the products are ready for market. I would think that one wouldn't be too far away though but in regards to dates and availability I don't have any info yet".

and more info below;

Gordon is a well respected tester for Minelab and has been for many many years, if you read the comments, he has answered someone question regarding a Module.

People are also converting the Minelab 85 headphone cup and using this as a module,the 85 headphones are compatible with the Manticore and this may be an option I will pursue, we will see.

• Like 1