Garrett Axiom Dd-fc Focused Core Coils

Hi all- I'm new to the forum.  I appreciate the detectorist community here

Getting to my question- I've been trying out the new Axiom over the past several days between placer sites, tailings, and salt beaches in SoCal.  Garrett is marketing a new "DD-FC" or Focused Core style coil- has anyone had any experience with 'em?  I wonder how they work in mineralized areas, non-mineralized areas, and wet salt beaches.  I'm not sure if these are just hype- it seems like the negative aspects of mono coils may still be present and render the coil useless in the wet.  From what I've read, mono coils are not as EMI friendly and don't perform well in heavy mineralization/wet salt.  Thanks!

Site: https://garrett.com/sport/axiom

Coils: Axiom 13" x 11" DD-FC (PN: 2237000)   and 11" x 7" DD-FC (PN: 2237400).

DD_FC Coils_Axiom.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome to this forum.

• Like 4

I am new to the Axiom also in fact new to using a high end PI, I purchased the same kit you have been testing which came with the 13x11 DD and 11x7 Mono but I also picked up the 11x7 DD also, just got back in 10 minutes ago from an area, these DD Focused core coils that Garrett has for the Axiom are no joke they are deep and just as sensitive as the Mono in my opinion, 

(I am Loving the Axiom) I was out for about 3 hours in an area just doing some getting acquainted with the Axiom test, I started out with the 11x7 Mono which had no issues with EMI or the ground I was on at all my GB numbers were 62 and 25 a couple pumps of the ground balance and it was quite, didn't even have to perform a frequency scan in fact it was so quite i completely forgot about my Axiom having a frequency scan LOL, had my settings at Fine, Slow and started out with my sensitivity at the factory preset of 4,  threshold at -6 and started out with the volume at 25 my axiom was pretty much running quite so I started swinging over the ground i was on I got over a target that said dig me (trash target small bit of copper) about 1/8 inch wide by about 3/4 of an inch long it was down about 8 inches but what caught my attention was how loud and pronounced the target was when I swung over I ended up dropping my volume down to 14 so targets were not so booming to the ears with my hearing aids, I swapped out coils to the 11x7 DD just before I dug that Target and the 11x7 DD was pretty much the same as the 11x7 Mono except the pin pointing was different on the DD where the Mono pin points to the Edges of the coil.

The second target I got over I started out with the 11x7 DD and then swapped out to the 11x7 Mono after I located the target with the DD, my second target again was a booming dig me target that when I swung over it with both the 11x7 DD And 11x7 Mono there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was a piece of metal of some sort, the question was what type of metal, my second target was a small flat piece of rusted tin that was about the diameter of a sharpie pen cover maybe just a little smaller, it again was down about 8 inches.

The Axiom has amazing sensitivity to small bits and when you get over a target there is no doubt it is a target, it just may not be that illusive yellow stuff we are all in search of, i never even thought about trying the Iron Check feature while I had the DD coil mounted, but will at some point

I will also say that there is no doubt in my mind after a short period of testing and getting to know the Axiom that it will have no issues with finding gold nuggets and bits, no matter which coil one chooses to use, I did not give the 13x11 DD a try but based on what I seen with the 11x7 DD and Mono coils I really do not know if I want to dig as deep as I think the 13x11 DD will see the 11x7 mono and DD seem very deep and the Volume at which targets could be heard with those two coils was no Joke there was still fuel left in the tank on those two bits of garbage that I honestly believe the Axiom would have seen them if they had of been 5-6 inches deeper that is how loud those two bits could be heard with the settings I had set, I really like the way both the 11x7 Mono and DD worked, and I would have no problem using either the DD or the Mono  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DSMITH said:

I am new to the Axiom also in fact new to using a high end PI, I purchased the same kit you have been testing which came with the 13x11 DD and 11x7 Mono but I also picked up the 11x7 DD also, just got back in 10 minutes ago from an area, these DD Focused core coils that Garrett has for the Axiom are no joke they are deep and just as sensitive as the Mono in my opinion, 

(I am Loving the Axiom) I was out for about 3 hours in an area just doing some getting acquainted with the Axiom test, I started out with the 11x7 Mono which had no issues with EMI or the ground I was on at all my GB numbers were 62 and 25 a couple pumps of the ground balance and it was quite, didn't even have to perform a frequency scan in fact it was so quite i completely forgot about my Axiom having a frequency scan LOL, had my settings at Fine, Slow and started out with my sensitivity at the factory preset of 4,  threshold at -6 and started out with the volume at 25 my axiom was pretty much running quite so I started swinging over the ground i was on I got over a target that said dig me (trash target small bit of copper) about 1/8 inch wide by about 3/4 of an inch long it was down about 8 inches but what caught my attention was how loud and pronounced the target was when I swung over I ended up dropping my volume down to 14 so targets were not so booming to the ears with my hearing aids, I swapped out coils to the 11x7 DD just before I dug that Target and the 11x7 DD was pretty much the same as the 11x7 Mono except the pin pointing was different on the DD where the Mono pin points to the Edges of the coil.

The second target I got over I started out with the 11x7 DD and then swapped out to the 11x7 Mono after I located the target with the DD, my second target again was a booming dig me target that when I swung over it with both the 11x7 DD And 11x7 Mono there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was a piece of metal of some sort, the question was what type of metal, my second target was a small flat piece of rusted tin that was about the diameter of a sharpie pen cover maybe just a little smaller, it again was down about 8 inches.

The Axiom has amazing sensitivity to small bits and when you get over a target there is no doubt it is a target, it just may not be that illusive yellow stuff we are all in search of, i never even thought about trying the Iron Check feature while I had the DD coil mounted, but will at some point

I will also say that there is no doubt in my mind after a short period of testing and getting to know the Axiom that it will have no issues with finding gold nuggets and bits, no matter which coil one chooses to use, I did not give the 13x11 DD a try but based on what I seen with the 11x7 DD and Mono coils I really do not know if I want to dig as deep as I think the 13x11 DD will see the 11x7 mono and DD seem very deep and the Volume at which targets could be heard with those two coils was no Joke there was still fuel left in the tank on those two bits of garbage that I honestly believe the Axiom would have seen them if they had of been 5-6 inches deeper that is how loud those two bits could be heard with the settings I had set, I really like the way both the 11x7 Mono and DD worked, and I would have no problem using either the DD or the Mono  

One thing I wanted to add to this my testing was done without using the supplied wireless headphones, and the volume at which I was hearing the targets I dug was extremely loud at volume 25 and even with the volume at 14 or 15 setting the targets were very loud I did drop my sensitivity even further down to 1 and swung over the targets just to test what would happen, and they were still very audible to where you could tell there was a target under the coil the two targets I stated were the first two I dug and they were wild unplanted targets

below is the two small trash bits i dug

Small bits found with Axiom.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Welcome to this forum.

Thank you Jeff- I appreciate the link.  I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but I cross referenced the part numbers on the "DD" labeled coils and the "DD-FC" labeled coils.  They both match- so indeed all Axiom DD's are actually DD-FC!  You saved me a few hundred buckaroonies!

Took out the Axiom this morning to a salt beach (second time using it)- and the screen doesn't work?!?!?!  I previously had this on salt mode, thankfully, and was still able to adjust the sensitivity and volume to pick some coins, trash, and lots of iron. I'll have to send this in for the warranty.  Manticore in route...  Excited to see what the Iron Check capability can do on the Axiom- this would save a lot of time and is a game changer.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard,
I have posted a few times about the Axiom at the beach as well as in the desert goldfields. The 11x7 DD is the coil to use at the beach, although if you just had to, the 13x11 DD will work. The mono is a no-go (in S. California). The Axiom works very well in the wet and even better in the dry, if that is your thing. I have used the 11x7 mono a few times in the desert and am happy with the performance so far. This last week I tested the 11x7 DD in "new ground" near Randsburg, CA (a 1 hour spin) and was impressed with the sensitivity. 

-Jerry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Lama said:

When you say screen doesn't work what do you mean ,your not expecting target id are you?

The LCD/Display remains blank, as if it were “off.”  In other words, you wouldn’t know it was on if you didn’t hear the tone.

10 hours ago, Pyriteboy said:

Welcome aboard,
I have posted a few times about the Axiom at the beach as well as in the desert goldfields. The 11x7 DD is the coil to use at the beach, although if you just had to, the 13x11 DD will work. The mono is a no-go (in S. California). The Axiom works very well in the wet and even better in the dry, if that is your thing. I have used the 11x7 mono a few times in the desert and am happy with the performance so far. This last week I tested the 11x7 DD in "new ground" near Randsburg, CA (a 1 hour spin) and was impressed with the sensitivity. 

-Jerry

Thanks for the test notes Jerry, I’m excited to browse your posts!  When I used the Mono, I was successful but had a lot of chatter. Will look to acquire the 11x7 DD. Cheers!

5 hours ago, GoldenHawk said:

Thanks for the test notes Jerry, I’m excited to browse your posts!  When I used the Mono, I was successful but had a lot of chatter. Will look to acquire the 11x7 DD. Cheers!

In the wet, the DD is noisy too.....I run the threshold at -6 which seems to work out well.

-Jerry

• The title was changed to Garrett Axiom Dd-fc Focused Core Coils