Searching For A Starter

Good morning all . first off thanks for the acceptance. second I am a retired guy in St.Louis area looking to take us the hobby. I did have a Whites unit or should say do have but not in my possession. I am looking to get a newer,unit and start using it in stead of loaning it out and never getting it back. I am hoping to get advise on a good, high end unit (preowned ) that I can use as a beginner and grow into as apposed to upgrading in the first year or so. Not sure this is the way to go, open to advise. Thoughts on a unit in the $400. price rangee that might work for me? Garrett AT pro? Minelab? White's?

• Like 1

Welcome from East Texas.

There are several very good units from Nokta & Minelab that make good "first" time units. They are reasonable enough brand new to not need to go the Pre owned route. They are capable enough to keep you productive for a long time.

Five pages of threads about this versus that detector....

https://www.detectorprospector.com/tags/best detector/

Check out the Minelab Vanquish series for high power but low priced and easy to operate models. If you want some thing where you can start with presets (training wheels) but still have plenty of room to grow into advanced settings, look at the Nokta Legend, which is also fully submersible. First runner up is a new model the Minelab X-Terra Pro, also fully submersible and a bargain at $259

Minelab Vanquish 340 $199
Minelab Vanquish 440 $289
Minelab Vanquish 540 $379
Notka Legend $499 or more depending on package
Minelab X-Terra Pro $259

51PbF1TcUlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

nokta-the-legend-3.webp

61yd02XKmoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg