Hello all, Thanks for letting me in. I'm looking for a new metal detector. Have had a Big Five cheepy detector for a while and was fun, but want to step up. Looking to spend around 1K or so. Is Equnox 900 worth it or is there a better option. I'm mostly in the nor cal rivers so under water is a must. Thanks for any help. Also is there any clubs or get togethers around the Nor Cal area?

Thanks again,

Barry

The Shasta Miners has a club in Redding. Siskiyou has a mineral society also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barry said:

I'm looking for a new metal detector.

I know that Ron is an honest dealer and could help you with many choices that are out there. You could call him and talk to him about your needs.

There are many choices out there and I do have to say that Minelab is an excellent choice. I have my grandfathers 800 and it is a great detector.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 1

The 900 is controversial. I have both the 800 and the 900 and feel way more confident in the 800.  

So depending on the mineralization  of that area, I would recommend the 800.  It is an excellent detector for gold and, of course, general use. The water proofing should suit your needs and there is a wide section of coils.  While a new one is already less expensive than a 900, you also may be able to scoop a quality used one and have even more money left over for coils.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, steve said:

i use a minelab vanquish 440 its a great machine

Under water is a must for him Steve.  Vanquish line can't be submerged.

Barry,

Hit one of the clubs mentioned and talk to the locals before buying.  Maybe they'll allow you to take their detectors for a spin.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 800 and the 600, and now I have the 900 and while i havnt drawn any conclusions in comparison, I do like the 900 best. It’s lighter and better built with some new features, and I’m doing well with it. I’ll be getting the 10x5 soon which will be the “general purpose “ coil, hi also had the Legend, but did not take well to it but I’m not sure why. Good luck whichever one you decide on. 

I hear the 900's are better under water than their predecessor the 800. Hitting up the local club would be a great idea to get their take. Minelab makes awesome detectors!