White's MX Sport Update 9/13/16 - Back In Full Production

"Thanks Tom. Will do.

Thanks too for your comments on my video. I appreciate that loads.

Best of luck with the re-release.

Even if they won't send another, I'll buy one next year as I thought it was a really fabulous concept.

Best regards"

Des D

I was just reading about the 7 inch Detech coil that white's posted about it. I know on here it's been said it's a DD coil but I find that on White's site. Not one word do they call it a DD coil.

If looks says how good a coil is then Detech has a lot going for it.

No no no Chuck your not going to buy another coil. It's bad when one fights within ones self.

Just think The XP Deus will come today by UPS.

Chuck 

I really like the MX Sport overall myself. The new machine glitches aside it may be the best fresh water detector currently available. The only thing about it that I just plain did not like was the headphone connection being on the front of the pod instead of next to the battery door where it belongs. If it was a detector all in a pod design it might make sense but the battery wires have to route to the battery compartment anyway. Proper placement (like on all the White's metal box designs) would eliminate the cable bending 180 degrees and being subjected to constant tugging which in turn leads to early underwater headphone cable failures. It would also eliminate the longest metal detector headphone dongle/adapter ever made!

How it is....

whites-mx-sport-headphone-pigtail-attached.jpg

How it could be...

whites-mx-sport-proposed-headphone-location.jpg

Not knowing which units have updated firmware and/or faceplates is going to be a continuing problem in the detecting community. If there is no properly working machine there will be no video of a properly working machine. I have seen videos of the MX Sport being used to find targets that an ACE 250 would find so I believe it does function.

The MX Sport does detect metal and does so at good depth in mineralized ground - for a VLF. Any knowledgeable operator should be able to use the machine and make good finds. So yes, it does work. It does however has its quirks. The modulation function is one of those quirks.

My assumption is the firmware is still as it was at last report and that there may be issues for people for whom modulation is an important feature. There is a point where a machine is what it is unless proven otherwise. If modulation is a big deal, simply do not buy an MX Sport.

I think Tom is gone for the weekend so a little patience might be in order.

" We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, but we owe it you, our valued customers, to do everything in our power to offer quality American-made metal detectors you can be proud to own. "

I think what has been shown is what White's considers their valued customers to be. The MX Sport should be recalled and it should not be in the detecting community if it was manufactured before the latest production run. It is still too early to know if the latest ones are worthy of the 700-800 dollar price and the brand name that use to signify a quality machine.

What is somewhat amazing to me is the lack of concern about the people that bought these machines and may not notice a problem till they go out on a hunt and get it wet or when they try to sell it and try to figure out which version they have.

I say " somewhat amazing "  because I realize I am in the minority of online participants in the detecting community. I don't go on fake hunts and/or try to kiss up to manufacturers and/or websites that allow manufacturers to promote their products while they haven't taken care of their less valuable customers.

I believe it's what Steve had mentioned.  The firmware is what it is.  They only shut down the line to fix the screens.  Just a simple sticker inside the battery cap or compartment would have been enough to know which upgrade it had.  What Whites could do is have a place on their site to search the serial numbers for which updates it either has or has not.