Making Custom Headphones For The Impulse AQ

The 3m tegaderm film I use to seal the Piezo.

Aviation Gel Pads which help seal the earmuffs against the head, and comfortable. Everyone of my head sets have these, a must!

Heyco pigtail 3227... https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Heyco/3237?qs=wRLls4Gs8BDGZ3e68gV4QQ%3D%3D

20211010_013746.jpg

gelpads (2).jpg

phone3 (2).jpg

gelpads (1).jpg

Heyco 3237 Pigtail Strain Relief Pg7 Black.jpg

• Like 1

I know I didn’t get piezos with the black rim - I’ll get some to try. Does the tegaderm intentionally space over the black rim of the piezo, leaving an air gap or is it pressed tight against the piezo?  Is there leakage around the wires to the piezo?

I took my headset off the AQ and drove it off my Wavetek function generator.  Seems like flat response until something above 1600 Hz or so, then it gets louder. I just bought a piezo driver IC pcb from Adafruit but now think it would not be necessary for these disks we are trying.  (It has a charge pump to output higher voltage than the supply)

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 6:38 AM, cjc said:

awfully small solders in those plugs-

I experienced the same pain trying to solder the pins while adapting an old pair of Grey Ghosts to the Deus2...For lack of time and patience I used the original broken bonephone cable, but this multicable with connector is the ultimate solution.

https://www.elecbee.com/en-2253-m8-connector-system-waterproof-straight-molding-cable-a-coding-6-pins-male-plug-with-1m-24awg-wire

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bklein said:

I know I didn’t get piezos with the black rim - I’ll get some to try. Does the tegaderm intentionally space over the black rim of the piezo, leaving an air gap or is it pressed tight against the piezo?  Is there leakage around the wires to the piezo?

I took my headset off the AQ and drove it off my Wavetek function generator.  Seems like flat response until something above 1600 Hz or so, then it gets louder. I just bought a piezo driver IC pcb from Adafruit but now think it would not be necessary for these disks we are trying.  (It has a charge pump to output higher voltage than the supply)

I get the piezo setup and in place against the back of the cup...15 minute Epoxied to hold in place (Just on the rim on the black, "Not" the piezo) than just enough silicone to seal any gaps. Then I unsolder the wires, apply the 3m film to seal it to the back of the earcup. So the 3m tegaderm covers the Piezo and extends out as much as possible into the cup,  maybe a half inch. And the same can be done using the thin sheets of plastic as the piezo plate. I press the 3m down but there will be gaps between the black rim, the piezo and the black rim and the cup base. All in place I re-solder the wires, which the heat will open the solder area up (melts the 3m) ..solder..than seal with a small dab of aquaseal, or silicon..Small amount as possible. When un-soldering the wires I try and leave a small ball of solder so as to be able to touch and go.. so it is fast soldered..not a long period holding the iron down. I crank up the iron to 480F.. To finish off I add a directional horn,  thin plastic that is aimed right at my ear canal. I use the clear thin plastic tube they use to cover fluorescent tubes to protect them. I cut them long, then once I try the head set on I will trim them. I use 3 small dabs of silicon to hold in place. It fit almost perfect on the black rim of the piezo, silicon only on the black rim, not the piezo.

And remember you can use the DOW 111 if you do not use the 3m bandage tegaderm. It does require cleaning off every few months but works as good. The main thing is give the piezo freedom to float and the black rim PUI piezo is the trick.

Make two sets, one with the piezo mounted to the back of the cup and try the thin .007 Craft plastic. Either will blow away the stock headphones, and I use these on both the AQ and my Excalibur. 

As far as which Ear muffs/ headset..ear protection to use, I've experimented with a few..Different Peltor's, MSA's L/R, Walker, GG shells, Black Widow shells and Dave Clarks. The over all best ambient noise blockers are the 3m peltors and the Black Widows. The most comfortable, the MSA Left / Rights. Adding the Gel pads to either of those will aid in blocking and comfort.

finished1.jpg

2.jpg

finished2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 12:23 PM, bklein said:

Anyone tried these? 
https://www.steminc.com/PZT/en/multilayer-piezoelectric-speaker-700-hz

https://om.rsdelivers.com/product/sonitron/sps-3530-03-c1/sonitron-piezoelectric-miniature-speaker-81db-700/7868917

I am also wondering about your link for the black ringed piezo. It doesn’t show the ring in the photos.

Never tried those. I found one similar to the top one. It was made to be used as a wall piezo. Where you have it mounted to inside the wall and when you turned the stereo on it would use the wall as the base plate. Never worked as I needed. 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:37 AM, bklein said:

OBN, I called PUI tech support regarding the "50mm" discs with black plastic ring.

He came up with this one: (48MM): https://puiaudio.com/search?query=aps4812b-lw100-r

Is this what you used?

Yes, that is the PUI Audio Unlimited piezo I use.. remember it is how you mount it and what you mount it to / on..that makes the audio difference.