Santa Cruz Storm Surge

6 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Uh, they can *say* dire sounding crap like that.  But ask yourself (and be honest) :  Do you know of ANYONE who has ever been "arrested" for stepping onto the beach when this has happened ?   I mean, sure, give "lip service" when you bump into the lifeguards and rangers , at the parking lot harping "beach closed".   But .... if someone makes their way down via other endless ways in (stairways elsewhere, cross-country through paths or alleys, etc...) have you EVER heard of an md'r or surfer being "arrested" ?  

Yes I was threatened with arrest as I walked the beach detecting back in 2020. As a matter of fact it was just on the other side of the jetty where the big wave hit Seaward. The sheriff's department and Ventura PD were the worst in terms of overreaching. There were literally officers stationed every 100 yards between Marina Park and seaward Ave making sure that no one stopped or sat. They even hassled a young mother who had brought her daughter to the beach to share lunch by themselves. She had sat down and they hassled her and threatened her until she got up and walked away.

I know you like the role of wise sage but you should maybe sit some of these out once in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Big surge in Hawaii also. Some erosion netted me 5 rings. 2 14k men's wedding bands, 1 tungsten carbide, 1 silver that looks pretty old, and a stainless spinner.

Unfortunately, had to leave after 2 hours to take my daughter to her surfing lesson. Hope tomorrow brings more erosion!!!

Good luck out there!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Hey there Doc, do you ever find Phoenix buttons up your way ?

Not lately Tom.Why did you leave a few out there for the rest of us?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:44 PM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

OK, What are you Santa Cruz, CA. guys finding.  That storm surge is crazy good!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

I am hearing report of waves to 30 feet, be careful. Here’s a portion of a news report:

“Massive waves and coastal flooding are wreaking havoc for a third day in many of California’s coastal communities, where extreme conditions have forced water rescues, washed away cars and injured a handful of enthralled onlookers. The unusually large surf – often towering over 20 feet – has prompted beach closures along the California coast and sent damaging deluges of water into several beachside streets, homes and…”

Well, at least the wildfires are out. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:26 AM, Tom_in_CA said:

It just "flattened" the beach.

I didn't get out until a couple of hours after the low tide last night and it was apparent that what you were talking about also happened in the Santa Monica Bay.  Most of the energy blew up over the top and sent water higher.  The slope sand was softer than normal.

One of the reasons I believe this to be the case here is that this 'storm' with minimal wind and rain so far had big waves with very long intervals between them.  We look for storms with waves that have intervals of 7-8 seconds and these waves were in intervals of 15 seconds plus.

I did manage to find one silver earring, a cheap ring and an old bus token with the other junk after 4 hours and 3 different beaches.

IMG_20231230_100652_437[1].jpg

IMG_20231230_100707_861[1].jpg

IMG_20231230_101012_286[1].jpg

• Like 6

On 12/30/2023 at 11:05 AM, mn90403 said:

........... with minimal wind

Yes.  These 2 systems that passed had no local on-shore winds.  Good observation.   They were swells that started way out at sea (Alaska, Japan, or whatever), and came all the way across the ocean .

I've seen swells arrive on the west coast with NO ADVERSE LOCAL WEATHER before, that :  Do indeed erode.   But you're right that they are greatly assisted if there is local accompanying on-shore or cross-shore winds, to push them even more violently up on to the beach.  This recent system lacked that.

Still though, I would have thought we'd have had better results.

Santa Cruz area beaches remain flattened, as of the info & reports I'm hearing, the beach cams, etc...  Carmel and Asilomar are just flattened.   Bummer.

• Like 1

This topic sure went mute.So what's up? Did it turn out to be a dead horse or is it on fire and everybody is just being tight lipped?