A Few Old Coins To Start 2023 ..

A few days ago I went to one of my favourite sites ,a field close to a small town where old artefacts ( from 13 to 17th century ) can be found . Probably because there were gardens in the past there . I like this place because it is quiet and the soil is mild and sandy , and of course because of the potential old finds ..

As usual I have my trusty D2 with me . I always use the SENSITIVE mode . The only change I have done since the update is to use HIGH SQUARE instead of SQUARE. HSQ works very well in iron infested sites ,this is the reason why I use it especially in this field with old irons ( nails , etc .. ) and modern ones like 1st WW shell fragments . 

I spent 2 hours there . At the end 4 coins . Only old coins , not even a modern coin 🙂 ...  And an old buckle 

The other targets were mostly 1st WW trash including shrapnells , casings , bullets etc .. 

It was a nice outing , with a nice weather and nice finds .. Detecting is definitely a great hobby ..

A few pics below.

Happy New Year to Everyone 

The field :

DSC03158.JPG

A double tournois ( 16th century ) :

DSC03156.JPG

A typical medieval buckle :

DSC03159.JPG

A broken Nuremberg token :

DSC03162.JPG

The town center with the Christmas decorations :

DSC03165.JPG

DSC03166.JPG

The 4 coins found during the outing :

the 2 on the left from the 14th century , and the 2 on the right from the 16th century

DSC00546.JPG

That is a very nice place to detect, so much history. I'm glad you are able to recover some of it's past.

36 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Detecting is definitely a great hobby ..

It certainly is. Considering you have 10+ or more times the metallic history than exists in the USA (with the exception of native creations using copper), it must be difficult at times to identify finds.

Congratulations go to you for saving history! 👏 More good luck to you.

That soil is definitely kind to copper. Beautifully preserved. 🥰 Great first hunt.

Love that buckle! The super early finds make me very envious. 😊