Tesoro Vaquero For Nuggets?

Has anyone used a vaquero for nugget hunting? If so, how does it do?

Here’s the Forum Detector Database link: https://www.detectorprospector.com/search/?type=&tags=tesoro detector.

14 kHz is a little light for a gold nugget hunter. Noticed the detector is not waterproof, if that’s a feature you want. 

On a  side note: been reading “ Roadside Geology of Nevada”. The introduction gives a good but brief account of the geology of Nevada before getting into specific areas. The University of Nevada, Reno, School of Mines & Geology has loads of information. https://www.unr.edu/mackay

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HardPack said:

Here’s the Forum Detector Database link: https://www.detectorprospector.com/search/?type=&tags=tesoro detector.

14 kHz is a little light for a gold nugget hunter. 

I have a gb2, gold kruzer, f75 and the vaquero.  I buried my .1 gram test nugget 3" deep in my yard. The ground balances at about an 82 with 2-3 out of 5 mineralization bars on the gold kruzer.  Surprisingly enough, all of the detectors I mentioned gave a signal worth investigating.  The gb2 and gold kruzer being the best, but the f75 and vaquero not far behind. I do realize there are multiple factors that will be applied in every unique situation, but it just made me think that vaquero may be worth playing with more.  I also read Steve's write up on the f75 in Alaska, and he seemed impressed with its capabilities, even at only 13 kHz. I'm new to this hobby and appreciate valuable input from experienced people.  I also have been around long enough to know sometimes the hype of new technology is taken as gospel, when in reality it's more of a sales aid than a benefit to the end user.  I mean that about any consumer product, not detectors in general. So I really am curious what people's experiences are with detectors in this khz range. Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

When gold was more plentiful a detector with lower frequency did alright as it gets harder to find and the easier stuff gone then every little bit counts, I’ve personally found I wouldn’t  bother with under 40Khz for gold around here as for every bit I find I’d leave a few behind.

• Like 1

Ndplumr  You have good feed back from Hardpack & Phrunt. The big thing with the frequency of detectors are these days related to size of the target (Gold as you asked). The availability of nuggets are now limited as the easy medium size and shallow nuggets have been detected. What I would add to your knowledge by getting a target the size that is commonly found where you intend to detect and redo your tests with it.  Having the right gun to hit the target is the way to go.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Ndplumr  You have good feed back from Hardpack & Phrunt. The big thing with the frequency of detectors are these days related to size of the target (Gold as you asked). The availability of nuggets are now limited as the easy medium size and shallow nuggets have been detected. What I would add to your knowledge by getting a target the size that is commonly found where you intend to detect and redo your tests with it.  Having the right gun to hit the target is the way to go.

I would think 1/10 of a gram would be a pretty good test for sensitivity.   I don't doubt anyone's advice who replied,  as they have mountains of experience compared to me. I'm just curious of my test results, and I truly due respect everyone's advice and opinions.