Two Days, Two Hunts, One Short One Long

Wow, you do find some odd stuff 😄 That cuff link is non traditional, to say the least. And what's with that 3 prong sort of candle snuffer? Man you got some weird stuff happening there, back in the day 😳.  The silver handle is awesome. Anytime you find early American silversmith work is way better than the English counterpart.  Great hunt and a wise move to bypass the beach idea.

3 hours ago, JCR said:

A very nice hunt. Being able to trace some background information on a find is always an interesting bonus. The life & work of Mr. Mitchell lives on. Will there be an earthly trace of us left 175+ years hence?

My understanding is that .900 fine "Coin Silver" in the form of actual coins was often provided to a Silversmith by wealth patrons in order to create unique tableware & other decorative items not only because the metal was readily available in that form, but because the transformation made the precious metal Identifiable in case of theft.  It probably pleased the Misses also.

Thanks for the additional bits, JCR!

The handle also has the initial of the first family that lived in the house in the field, we talked a bit with the elderly gentleman that lives there now, and he knew all the history of the families that owned it, he used to farm it himself.

He was thrilled to have us out there and told us to have fun! 😎

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Wow, you do find some odd stuff 😄 That cuff link is non traditional, to say the least. And what's with that 3 prong sort of candle snuffer? Man you got some weird stuff happening there, back in the day 😳.  The silver handle is awesome. Anytime you find early American silversmith work is way better than the English counterpart.  Great hunt and a wise move to bypass the beach idea.

Thanks!

We get what we get, that's for sure. A couple of Civil War relics turned up, I wondered why I found a Yankee bullet there, but everybody probably brought back stuff.

The "Chicken leg" is threaded inside the bell, so we ruled out a snuffer, unless an actual lower part was attached. Too bad it got so mangled, I would like to find out what it was. 🤔