1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

More amazing finds in your books, so when are you going to write a book so you can teach us newbies how to score big like you.

Good luck on your next outing.

Thanks VL,

Probably the first point I'd make in a book would be that in order to score big you have to be where the stuff is. 🤔 The hardest part is getting permission to look.

I can say for certain that there are many others that do as well as I do, but some only post now and again. I've met a few people who are very secretive about what they find. There are risks to sharing, luckily for me other types of hunting are more popular here.

I have definitely learned a lot, and have posted some of the methods I use here. I have considered writing it up in a book but finding a publisher that would make it worth doing is probably difficult.

As long as Steve H doesn't mind, I'm happy enough to share it with all of you that are specifically interested, and I appreciate the kind comments.

I've found however that I can wave any detector around pretty much anywhere and find a great amount of stuff, and the finds get better as I learn the tool. Having a place to talk about it with others is the key.

• Like 5

Spectacular complete spectacle buckle, that had to of put gas in your tank. Sweet it is...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NJ Art said:

Spectacular complete spectacle buckle, that had to of put gas in your tank. Sweet it is...

Thanks NJ,

Looks like you had a pretty spectacular run lately too, thanks for posting it. 🏆

It's been the best year ever for me so far. Really hitting stride with the Deus 2, the V2 update made quite a difference.

I've been finding a lot of gold and silver this year, I really hope that carries over to beach hunting this spring!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm pretty sure what the gnats are is flying ants, they don't bite but simply get all up in my face. It's a yearly swarm that only lasts a few days.

Sounds like termites swarming.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:03 PM, F350Platinum said:

Today Chase came down for a "do your own thing" sort of hunt, we went to a permission of mine that almost guarantees at least something old.

It was fun as usual.  Yep, nothing individually stunning but some decent brass to take home which makes it worth the trip.  Thanks also for indulging me on the other site.  It was a wild goose chase, and I think I got it out of my system, finally.  I guess we are really just that good at eventually leaving our sites high and dry until the soil is turned over for next season.  🤣  

Thanks again for the dig and coffee therapy.

20240317_092330.thumb.jpg.7d16ad139f6077b71fadc1f2bf10a213.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It was fun as usual.

Well you sir, are the cufflink King. 👑 Always fun man!

• Like 1

Stunning buckle. There are 2 kinds of spectacle buckles - Crude and Cruder  😄 Yours is the cruder (older). 😍 As for the gnats, do you have a drop down net hat? I've been save many times with a net on. Kind of weird at first with a net right on your eyeballs 🙄 but after getting some of those gnats in your eyes, nose and mouth, you'll be reaching for that net :angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Stunning buckle. There are 2 kinds of spectacle buckles - Crude and Cruder  😄 Yours is the cruder (older). 😍 As for the gnats, do you have a drop down net hat? I've been save many times with a net on. Kind of weird at first with a net right on your eyeballs 🙄 but after getting some of those gnats in your eyes, nose and mouth, you'll be reaching for that net :angry:

Thanks! 🙂

To me a buckle like that is as good as finding an old coin.

This place was established about 1670, maybe even earlier. It was a grant from King Charles I or two anyway... So it's probably one of the first things they lost 🤣

I do have a Gnat Hat, but I already look scary enough. 😬 I wear that mowing at home. 🤣 I'm used to it but my wife never will be.

I'm glad we don't have the black flies you do up there, but we have deer flies and horse flies that are most annoying.

• Like 1

Braving bugs is just a part of it uptah camp.

I'm not complaining about the sno* predicted for today....the temps keep the bugs unhatched , which is the only kind I like !  

Everything I found last year doesn't come close to that one buckle .  WTG !

You're so right about location being most important , and you're surrounded by location ! 

I'm told I am too but can't prove it with finds ,,,,so far. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

You're so right about location being most important , and you're surrounded by location ! 

I'm told I am too but can't prove it with finds

Thanks RVP,

Yesterday I got another big permission, the landowner came out to talk to me, a fella in his late 80s. Even offered to drive him back home but he said he needed the exercise. 🙂 I believe this is the final piece of this huge old plantation that was subdivided many years ago.

If you're sporting a smartphone, do yourself a big favor and get an app called CalTopo, it's free! You might need a cheap backup battery if you're going to track yourself.

I did a small tutorial on how to use it here:

This app is great, you can overlay old roads from historic maps and even see Lidar imagery. Soon you'll be seeing farmers and landowners out, strike while the iron is hot.

Here is a reliable backup battery for tracking:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B2R8YVWV

🍀

• Thanks 1