What Will I Dig Up Tomorrow? Taking Guesses

Here's a video of what started out as a quick trip out to mess around with the atx. Turns out the trash I thought I found is hiding under some boulders. It's a non ferrous target, as you will see in the Iron check I did in the video. The hole is at least 12" deep to the large rock on the bottom,  and probably 16"+ in the crevice to the front. It's surrounded by a Boulder and rocks or bedrock. I'll be going back with real tools tomorrow.  Please join me in the suspense, and give me your best guess!

I'm ignorant as to how the Garrett ATX responds to targets but I hope it's at least a meteorite or better yet, a gold nugget.  But the 'smart money' is on an old can or broken piece of tool.  (Is the ferrous vs. non-ferrous indicator 100% reliable?)  Still, you know what they say about "the thrill of the chase" so you've got that going, regardless.  I look forward to the report of your upcoming revelation.

14 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm ignorant as to how the Garrett ATX responds to targets but I hope it's at least a meteorite or better yet, a gold nugget.  But the 'smart money' is on an old can or broken piece of tool.  (Is the ferrous vs. non-ferrous indicator 100% reliable?)  Still, you know what they say about "the thrill of the chase" so you've got that going, regardless.  I look forward to the report of your upcoming revelation.

It was actually a strong signal from the start. The iron check seems pretty accurate when the signal is that strong. I initially thought beer can at 4-6 inches, since I have found a few of those. Whatever it is, it has to be large. The high low signal would suggest lead, brass, or aluminum.  My detectors are specifically tuned to NOT find gold. At least that's my experience with them!  This is in an area that has been worked for something,  but I don't know what they were looking for.  I haven't found any records of it. No claims within miles of this place for 30 yrs. 

You might be digging up a steel barrel with Hoffa in it would be my guess.

Just make sure that no body is watching you or you might be next because they really don't want him found.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

I hope it´s a gigantic nugget!! 

Sorry to say it sounds ferrous…  It also seems the target is halfway down the hole on the side wall.

I always widen the hole so it´s easier to pinpoint the target ( in motion mode).

With such loud targets, often I bring sensitivity down, so I hear the changing tones and try to determine the position and depth.

Using a pinpointer will help you save a lot of time per target!!

Happy hunting!

5 hours ago, Sérgio Campos said:

I hope it´s a gigantic nugget!! 

Sorry to say it sounds ferrous…  It also seems the target is halfway down the hole on the side wall.

I always widen the hole so it´s easier to pinpoint the target ( in motion mode).

With such loud targets, often I bring sensitivity down, so I hear the changing tones and try to determine the position and depth.

Using a pinpointer will help you save a lot of time per target!!

Happy hunting!

Your guess is most likely right. It's a giant gold nugget under a ferrous target lol .  No, seriously,  I am bringing a vlf there today to pin point it better.  One thing I'm not good at yet is pin pointing with that large dd coil. The signal does seem strongest over the center of my hole though.  That's what has my curiosity.  The fact that the bottom of the hole is pretty much solid rock leaves me thinking it probably is off to the side though.  All I had with me was my plastic scoop and a small garden pick. Since this spot is pretty close to home, it just made sense to go back with better tools for the job. I'm sure it will be trash of some sort, but the thrill of the hunt is always the best part. We will know soon. 

It's like that scene from "Dirty Harry"......where the perpetrator, finally cornered after the gun fight answeres, " I gots to know."

Well my suspicions were correct.  I brought the gb2 out to pin point the target. It actually didn't pick it up. I widened the hole to the left and dug down. At about 14" I  got a solid signal. And at about 19" I dug up an aluminum DR PEPPER can. It does show you the difference in depth an atx with an 11×13 dd coil, compared to the small 6.5 coil of a vlf gb2.  So Jimmy Hoffa is still missing,  and the gold is still safe from me lol  

20240128_131851.jpg

20240128_131910.jpg

A foot and a half for an aluminum can isn’t bad, at least you know when you finally put your coil over the big one you’ll be able to detect it!  I was going to suggest you should spend the night out there guarding it, but it’s good you didn’t. 😉

8 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I was going to suggest you should spend the night out there guarding it, but it’s good you didn’t. 😉

I was planning on it, but with all of the recent desertsquatch sightings lately,  and my wife, who's a much better shot than me, unwilling to participate,  I decided against it.