Choosing A Detector, Advice Please

Hi, I've just joined the forum and looking for some advice from the experts!

I want to take up an old hobby again but I'm not sure where to start.. what detector to buy.. do I need a pin pointer etc. All advice would be very welcome!

I live in South West France , so rules here are quite strict on where you can detect. I have researched the local coastal beaches and lakes, which are legal so I would like to buy a waterproof detector that's good in salt water and fresh, but I am also surrounded by vineyards, so looking for a good all rounder. I did have a budget of around €300- €400 but after reading a lot of posts I realise I need to spend a little more to get something decent on a hobby/intermediate scale...so looking around €500 max

With my search so far I've come up with 2 possibilities, Garrett AT Pro and a Minelab Vanquish 540 but there are so many options out there I've got a bit lost..!

I would love to hear from anyone with any advice or recommendations for what would suit my needs best.. 

Thanking in advance

• Like 4

Welcome back to the hobby.   For your intended areas I would highly recommend a Simultaneous Multifrequency detector, even if you have to wait a bit and save up some more money. Also a good Pin Pointer. They are invaluable time & aggravation savers.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Hi, I've just joined the forum and looking for some advice from the experts!

I want to take up an old hobby again but I'm not sure where to start.. what detector to buy.. do I need a pin pointer etc. All advice would be very welcome!

I live in South West France , so rules here are quite strict on where you can detect. I have researched the local coastal beaches and lakes, which are legal so I would like to buy a waterproof detector that's good in salt water and fresh, but I am also surrounded by vineyards, so looking for a good all rounder. I did have a budget of around €300- €400 but after reading a lot of posts I realise I need to spend a little more to get something decent on a hobby/intermediate scale...so looking around €500 max

With my search so far I've come up with 2 possibilities, Garrett AT Pro and a Minelab Vanquish 540 but there are so many options out there I've got a bit lost..!

I would love to hear from anyone with any advice or recommendations for what would suit my needs best.. 

Thanking in advance

since one of the things you said you want is water proof i personally would scratch the vanquish off that list, the Vanquish is not water proof only the coils are waterproof, As JCR stated a SMF will be your best bet.

For me personally I own a At Pro and never did take to the ATP

You might consider looking at the new Nokta Score and Double Score also the Legend those three are the best bang for your Dollar when it comes to SMF

Also you might consider the Xterra Pro, the Xterra pro is the cheapest of all the detectors I have mentioned but it is a Selectable single frequency detector that has a good beach mode from my understanding,the reviews on the Xterra Pro on the beach have been pretty good

Another detector you might also consider since you are going to be detecting beaches is the Garrett Apex, the Apex is not water proof but has very good reviews from beach hunters again the Apex is not water proof though but the coils are water proof, the Apex is another SMF or Multi frequency detector

all the detectors I have listed are in the budget you have set except the Legend you may have to add a little bit more money

out of all the detectors I have listed I only have experience with the Legend and the AT Pro

Just some food for thought

As for a pin pointer a pin pointer is not a necessary accessory to have but is a nice accessory to have it makes target recovery much easier and quicker than not having one.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JCR said:

Welcome back to the hobby.   For your intended areas I would highly recommend a Simultaneous Multifrequency detector, even if you have to wait a bit and save up some more money. Also a good Pin Pointer. They are invaluable time & aggravation savers.

Thank you for the advice JCR, it's been a long time since I last detected and technology has moved on so much!

I've just researched SM detectors in France and agree this is the route I need to take if I want to do some beach hunting. I've found a couple within my price range, the Garret Ace Apex and Nokta Macro Legend....?

Would appreciate any comments on either or any further advice to help me make decisions..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Thank you for the advice JCR, it's been a long time since I last detected and technology has moved on so much!

I've just researched SM detectors in France and agree this is the route I need to take if I want to do some beach hunting. I've found a couple within my price range, the Garret Ace Apex and Nokta Macro Legend....?

Would appreciate any comments on either or any further advice to help me make decisions..

The Legend is a great SMF packed full of features that the Apex does not have, read my reply to your thread

• Like 1

Hi Lulu, welcome to the forum. 🙂

The Legend seems to do quite well for people in most situations, I've never used one but all the feedback here and other places I frequent is positive.

If you want to go straight to the top you need look no further than in your own country, the XP Deus II.

It is the lightest and most waterproof of all, and a 5 year warranty is unmatched as well.

I have not seen anyone who has complained about water intrusion with the Legend, and their service is good.

Both are going to have a bit of a learning curve due to their complexity, but that's what we are here for.

GL, HH 🍀

12 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

since one of the things you said you want is water proof i personally would scratch the vanquish off that list, the Vanquish is not water proof only the coils are waterproof, As JCR stated a SMF will be your best bet.

For me personally I own a At Pro and never did take to the ATP

You might consider looking at the new Nokta Score and Double Score also the Legend those three are the best bang for your Dollar when it comes to SMF

Also you might consider the Xterra Pro, the Xterra pro is the cheapest of all the detectors I have mentioned but it is a Selectable single frequency detector that has a good beach mode from my understanding,the reviews on the Xterra Pro on the beach have been pretty good

Another detector you might also consider since you are going to be detecting beaches is the Garrett Apex, the Apex is not water proof but has very good reviews from beach hunters again the Apex is not water proof though but the coils are water proof, the Apex is another SMF or Multi frequency detector

all the detectors I have listed are in the budget you have set except the Legend you may have to add a little bit more money

out of all the detectors I have listed I only have experience with the Legend and the AT Pro

Just some food for thought

As for a pin pointer a pin pointer is not a necessary accessory to have but is a nice accessory to have it makes target recovery much easier and quicker than not having one.

Wow thanks, I replied to JCR before I saw your reply.

That's helped a lot, I will do some more research on the other models you mention but glad I'm heading down the right route with the Nokta Legend and the Garrett Apex. The AT Pro is pushing my budget, not impossible but it takes out an option of a pinpointer!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Hi Lulu, welcome to the forum. 🙂

The Legend seems to do quite well for people in most situations, I've never used one but all the feedback here and other places I frequent is positive.

If you want to go straight to the top you need look no further than in your own country, the XP Deus II.

It is the lightest and most waterproof of all, and a 5 year warranty is unmatched as well.

I have not seen anyone who has complained about water intrusion with the Legend, and their service is good.

Both are going to have a bit of a learning curve due to their complexity, but that's what we are here for.

GL, HH 🍀

Thanks Platinum, I've just looked up the XP Deus II, it looks amazing but even in the sales it's sadly way above my budget. 

The Legend is sounding good so far and being lightweight is a big bonus. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Wow thanks, I replied to JCR before I saw your reply.

That's helped a lot, I will do some more research on the other models you mention but glad I'm heading down the right route with the Nokta Legend and the Garrett Apex. The AT Pro is pushing my budget, not impossible but it takes out an option of a pinpointer!!!

Dont take me wrong I am not saying the AT Pro is a bad detector because it is not, for me personally I just never took to the ATP like others did, I have always felt it was a way over hyped detector

I just feel for the same money or less there are way better options in detectors out there than the ATP,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Thanks Platinum, I've just looked up the XP Deus II, it looks amazing but even in the sales it's sadly way above my budget. 

The Legend is sounding good so far and being lightweight is a big bonus. 

With the Budget you set the Deus 2 is way outside that budget at almost three times the cost of the legend, which pretty much has the same capabilities as the Deus 2