Choosing A Detector, Advice Please

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

With my search so far I've come up with 2 possibilities, Garrett AT Pro and a Minelab Vanquish 540 but there are so many options out there I've got a bit lost..!

I would vote for neither. Save more money and make a better purchase. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

Dont take me wrong I am not saying the AT Pro is a bad detector because it is not, for me personally I just never took to the ATP like others did, I have always felt it was a way over hyped detector

I just feel for the same money or less there are way better options in detectors out there than the ATP,

Thanks again, advice taken. Will rule out the ATP. The Dues 2 looks good but as you say..above budget!

19 minutes ago, midalake said:

I would vote for neither. Save more money and make a better purchase. 

Thank you, that's the kind of advice I need!😄

The Garrett Apex is not waterproof and its simultaneous multi frequency technology is not on the same level as the Nokta, XP and Minelab SMFs.

For your price range your choices are the Nokta Double Score, Nokta Legend, Quest V60, Quest V80 and the Equinox 700. All are fully waterproof, have good European support and are good choices for your budget.

The Minelab X-Terra Pro is a decent detector for saltwater beaches and snorkeling according to some reports on this forum and the price is definitely right but target IDs will not be as accurate on deeper targets compared to the other detectors listed because they have simultaneous multi frequency operation and the XT Pro does not.

Midalake is a full-time moderately iron mineralized saltwater beach hunter. He knows what detectors work well for him.

I am not a full-time saltwater beach hunter. I have used the Nokta Legend and the Equinox 700/900 at saltwater beaches. They did just fine for someone like me that just wanted to do some occasional beach detecting. I have also owned two different Quest detectors and I was very impressed with them.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Lulu said:

Thank you, that's the kind of advice I need!😄

15 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Midalake is a full-time moderately iron mineralized saltwater beach hunter. He knows what detectors work well for him.

I am not a full-time saltwater beach hunter. I have used the Nokta Legend and the Equinox 700/900 at saltwater beaches. They did just fine for someone like me that just wanted to do some occasional beach detecting. I have also owned two different Quest detectors and I was very impressed with them.

My dad taught me early on: SON, don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. 

One ring can pay for a detector. 

Try to find out what works in your area!  Do you have Black Sand salt beaches?  I have never tried the Legend, and have not seen one on the beach where I hunt. 

Nothing wrong with used either to save some money. In the last 20 year I have NEVER purchased a new detector. 

Knowing your price range and detectors I have used, could only recommend the Equinox 600,700,800. 

If I ever see someone here with a Legend, I am going to try to grab it for a test run.  Good Luck! 

• Like 2

I agree with Jeff’s suggestions. I own the ML 800 and the Legend. For what you said you will be detector the Legend, Double Score and Nox 700 will do you good. 

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff and everyone else, some really helpful advice there.

I will only be able to detect beaches in the winter months, so I would say I would use it a 1/3 on beach (no black sand) and 2/3 searching ground terrain, vineyards and maybe around some lakes. 

I do want a waterproof SMF so that ruled out a few and gave me some more research to do!  The Nokta Legend looks favourable over the double score as it looks like a better detector for the same price or am I missing something..? I've looked at the Equinox and Quest but both are sadly out of my price range. I've also looked second hand but it's either bottom line cheap or the Deus 2 above my budget.

One thing I hadn't budgeted for is headphones, they are €100 extra, are they worth pushing my budget..?

Thanks again

On 1/29/2024 at 11:16 AM, Lulu said:

Thanks Jeff and everyone else, some really helpful advice there.

I will only be able to detect beaches in the winter months, so I would say I would use it a 1/3 on beach (no black sand) and 2/3 searching ground terrain, vineyards and maybe around some lakes. 

I do want a waterproof SMF so that ruled out a few and gave me some more research to do!  The Nokta Legend looks favourable over the double score as it looks like a better detector for the same price or am I missing something..? I've looked at the Equinox and Quest but both are sadly out of my price range. I've also looked second hand but it's either bottom line cheap or the Deus 2 above my budget.

One thing I hadn't budgeted for is headphones, they are €100 extra, are they worth pushing my budget..?

Thanks again

I may be wrong, but the legend may come with wireless headphones.  I also believe the double score is a watered down version of the legend. So if they are even similar in price, I would go with the legend.

• Like 1