Difficult Detecting

Must be a martyr, this is how i like it! This small section was covered in a foot of sand two years ago until an easterly blast shifted it all out completely. Since then, it only gets a few inches of sand over the clay, but enough to make all the difference as to whether you find something or nothing.

The high winds last week did clear enough off the section to make it worthwhile, but its such a difficult spot. There's the iron, largish cast pieces down to nails etc, very liberally spread as the whole area is where metallics are winnowed into these few yards by tidal movement. The main problem, is the quantity of copper and brass nails/screws from the boats. I don't mind copper but its very difficult to work with these as well as the iron due to the constant tiny vague positive responses. Its the usual discipline for me to do several parallel lines through the length of the patch very slowly. Thereafter, come at right angles across the narrowest part very slowly indeed.

Many of the bits were showing on the surface which helped. Chucked out all iron I could see as per usual, and pocketed the useful scrap bits. Last run here a year or more ago, everything was pretty much on the surface - much easier. Actually, its one of the few times I wish i'd had a 3" coil. However,  the small Manti coil with its excellent shape being a key factor, worked really well, but you had to go very, very slowly overlapping all the time from all angles. I have used the D2 9", but you do definitely need the shape of the Manti one to get the best out of the spot, if only the elliptical was available for the D2 as it was for the D1 - a great coil.

It took three hours and a bit to cover the spot as well as I could. The constant ear bashing from ferrous & NF takes it out of you. The reason why I persist in these places, & this one in particular, is the old finds that have come from here. Quite a few hammered, including early foreign ones and other really interesting artefacts. Not many coins turned up but two were of later Spanish origin, 40 cents, in poor shape, but I 'm on the scent! Spanish coins are pretty much the epitome of beachcombing even here in England! A decent silver watch chain was a surprise, first one I've had at this spot, along with a 6 pence Welsh Cardiff token and a Cornish 'Joan the Wad' likely from a key-ring.

Years ago, the whole area was under heavy tidal scour, but sea defenses have closed off the tidal flow now. Where once big tides cut deep gutters, a whole new sand dune formation has taken root. Still, I will persist in these areas as long as they can be worked productively.

IMG_20240130_163310_611.jpg

111.jpg

IMG_20240131_132053_292.jpg

IMG_20240131_112625_081.jpg

Very nice results for all that hard work, I agree that the Deus 2 needs a small elliptical. Welcome to the forum!

All that hard work did have some nice items to be happy about.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.