AlgoForce E1500 And DD Coils

A mini PI Bigfoot. Interesting.

Another tidbit on coils. Minelab coils are generally compatible with the White's TDI and the reverse is also true. This means that most TDI coils will likely work on the E1500 though there is no guarantee of this. My sense is that the TDI was very forgiving on coils and so could use Minelab coils, but that there is an actual difference. Luckily the E1500 can adjust for quite a bit of range between coils. Just like not getting a DD coil just to try I'm not sure I'd get a TDI coil specifically for the E1500, but there were some very different coils made for the TDI that I would like to try myself. Specifically a little 4x6 mono, the smallest mono I have ever heard of that is not a pinpointer.

The TDI dual fields are a type of mono coil with an inner and outer coil running at the same time and should function properly with the E1500. The inner coil design was specifically intended to boost the inner small gold sensitivity on larger mono coils, which are typically edge sensitive and weaker in the middle on the tiny bits.

The old Coiltek PI pinpointers for the Minelabs should also work on the E1500.

jimmy-sierra-tdi-coils.jpg
Various Jimmy Sierra coils for the White's TDI

minelab-pi-compatible-probes.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've been wanting to buy a 10x5" Commander DD since I discovered this, there was a guy selling a second hand one forever on our local auction site, I mean for years it kept appearing on and off and now when I want it, it's gone!   a 10x3" I think on this detector would be an absolute weapon on small shallow gold, would be a pellet lover too though 🙂

I wasn't interested with the legacy GPX models in this revelation, but with the extra sensitivity of the Algo it seems like a cool thing to try.

One thing I'd recommend, if possible, for people buying second hand coils for the Algoforce and only really if they're unusual coils like the ones demonstrated in Steves post above for the TDI or the probes is to test them on the detector before buying, I've had no trouble with any Coiltek, NF, Minelab or standard spiral X-coils.

When you plug in a new coil and go into the coil menu you have a number of slots you can save coil profiles on so you can have your favourite coils in there calibrated and ready to go, a new coil plugged in unless within the specifications of another coil you have used will request calibration.   It's a quick process, only takes a few seconds where you press the + and - buttons to start the calibration.  If a coil is too wildly outside of normal GPX specifications it won't calibrate, and if it won't calibrate, you're not getting the best out of the coil, it will work, but not as well as it could.

In all the coils I've got only a prototype 15" Concentric X-coil won't calibrate at all, and that's likely because it's a 15" Concentric in DD mode on the GPX and a 15" Spiral mono in mono mode, I think it's just too out of spec, this is being looked into to see if it can be resolved by either side as its not even a released coil.

I doubt many will encounter this and it would have to be some wildly bizarre or out of spec coil, if it does happen it just won't calibrate, you can still use it, it just may not work as well as if it was able to calibrate, although with my 15" CC that doesn't calibrate, I think it's working well on my initial usage.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I had already thought of what Steve mentioned as I know Minelab, CT and NF's all have the 1/2 coil option.  Yes, I too feel the 10" Ellip DD will be killer.

Sept25082.JPG

DSCN7291.JPG

DSCN6307.JPG

Randy4.JPG

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

One thing I'd recommend, if possible, for people buying second hand coils for the Algoforce and only really if they're unusual coils like the ones demonstrated in Steves post above for the TDI or the probes is to test them on the detector before buying, I've had no trouble with any Coiltek, NF, Minelab or standard spiral X-coils.

Another good reason to test a 2nd hand coil before buying is that it may be getting sold because it has developed issues. I have been down that track.

D4G

• Like 2

How do you think the miner John/Razerback folded mono coils would perform? He made some very small ones. I don't remember if it was resolved, but was the "Hi-Q" coil that Whites was selling with the SL after Miner John's place burned, White's attempt at a folded mono?

47 minutes ago, GeoBill said:

How do you think the miner John/Razerback folded mono coils would perform? He made some very small ones. I don't remember if it was resolved, but was the "Hi-Q" coil that Whites was selling with the SL after Miner John's place burned, White's attempt at a folded mono?

No way to know without trying them. I’ve never really been a fan of the dual fields or folded mono coil, preferring a straight up mono myself. These coils are attempting to solve issues with edge sensitivity, which is exactly what I like about mono coils. The Hi-Q was just an attempt to sell dual field under a new name as far as I know.

• Like 3

Just glad we can use DD’s also now on the Eforce, this thing keeps surprising me on more good features. Running DD’s in mono mode is great, especially when we don’t need cancel mode as it seems to handle EMI well.

• Like 3

The question of Tdi coil compatibility delights the imagination. The AlgoForce makes good sense already and the use of existing coils is just another bonus. The little 6 x 4 mono would be an interesting match that would make for a feather weight combo.

tdi coil1.jpg

tdi coil2.jpg

1489063233_smallgold.thumb.jpg.406e27b5ba2efb61a1bd740e24a36096.jpg

• Like 4