Going GPX 5000 Modded - Any Tips?

Just sent my 5000 to Mick at Detectronics.  Any good advice on settings when it comes home. Sounds like 3oclock is the sweet spot on the gain.  We have pretty easy ground here in Montana in most places but do have some hot spots here and there.   Also with the new level 4 mod sounds like the evo 15" is the go to all around coil. Thoughts?

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Going GPX 5000 Modded - Any Tips?

We have tried the 15” Evo on a modded 5000 and it does add quite a bit of performance over a stock 5000. 
hopefully Mick will send you a list of settings for best performance.

• Like 5

I can't add much to your query but sending it to Mick was a smart move.......his mods and quality of work are exceptional.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tony said:

I can't add much to your query but sending it to Mick was a smart move.......his mods and quality of work are exceptional.

Good to hear.  I figured why not.  Ive got two 6000s, monster, and a Manticore.  Ive found hundreds of nuggets with the 6000 while the 5000 collected dust.    But on our mines at least I think we are hitting the limits of what the 6000 can currently do on the surface ground.(will continue to use it for dig and detect) and if the mod and some updates like a gold snitch booster and a 15" coil for the 5000 open up new a avenues.  Im all for it.  It doesnt take much gold to make it pay off if it benefits even a little bit.  

• Like 3

I'd be interested your thoughts after the mod to see if its worthwhile, seems Woody and Mick do virtually the same mods when you compare on their websites so they must be the tried-and-true methods for modding a GPX.  It seems there isn't as much they can do to a 5000 than the earlier models.

• Like 1

Mick is the only one that I would ever consider in regard to modifications. A genuine 'good bloke'.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'd be interested your thoughts after the mod to see if its worthwhile, seems Woody and Mick do virtually the same mods when you compare on their websites so they must be the tried-and-true methods for modding a GPX.  It seems there isn't as much they can do to a 5000 than the earlier models.

Yeah from the research Ive been doing, especially among the full time gold hunting Aussies Mick puts out a better product.  He messaged me today and said to run in Sharp but Fine gold works very well too. and take it to flogged ground we have already hit and it will tell the tale.   Looking forward to giving it a shot. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1