Should A Newby Buy A Gpx 5000

I have been looking at pi detectors lately never used pi before have used gold monster and regular coin machines alot want a pi for gold nugget hunting. I have heard alot of good and bad about the 5000 great detector but very complicated as well. Most gold in and around redding california are little bits from what ive heard obviously big chunks come out rarely. Is a 5000 worth it for a novice who doesnt get out as much as he would like or find something simpler like a sdc 2300. Thanks in advance. Will check back at replys later at work now

• Like 1

Unless you're going to areas that haven't seen much detector activity, they've likely seen the older GPX series go over them many times, and that's the problem, it's going to be hard to find much gold if any.  The GPX 5000 is a brilliant detector, but it's not going to find something that it's already found before and that's where newer detectors and even coils have helped people, finding gold that was missed with earlier models.

I'm not saying you won't find gold with a 5000, you likely will, especially if you put the effort in and perhaps find some ground that was missed for whatever reason, it's a big country, surely a coil hasn't covered every drop of gold bearing ground.  Your odds are just higher with a detector that hasn't had so much use in the area.

Around here the ground I've detected was heavily hit with the earlier GP and GPX series, I came along late to the party and tried with the 4500, while I did find the occasional bit that was missed for whatever reason it was a struggle, changing to the GPZ and 6000 changed that and I was finding way more gold than ever before.  I preferred using my Gold Monster and Equinox over my 4500 for this reason, they were finding me more gold than the earlier GPX detectors.

I don't know how the Axiom would go for you but if it finds gold the 5000 misses which I believe it does, then it may be a better choice, and Gerry from Gerrys detectors has one for sale at the moment for a great price.

He also has the 5000, 6000 and 7000 for sale in that lot, with the 6000 and 7000 worth looking into if they meet your budget.

• Like 5

Hi Red Bluff,

I’m just north of you in the Siskiyou’s.

There are a lot of factors involved, like is the weight of the machine and cost an issue?

If not then next question is do you primarily detect in the creek or rivers and backpack in, if so then an SDC 2300 is a good option.

Do you detect quite often and can get really familiar with your detector on dry land and want a very versatile detector, then the 5000, Algoforce, or Axiom is a great option. GPX 5000 does struggles on porous specs though and is a detector that’s requires a lot of learning time to get the most out of it 

Do you detect rarely and want a turn on and go detector like the Goldmonster then probably a GPX 6000, especially if you primarily find specimen gold or smaller shallow gold.

Do you want a detector that can go deep on larger nuggets and also find specimen gold, then a GPZ 7000.

I offer free training if you want to come up for a day and I’ll show you how simple the 5000 can be.

• Like 4

Steve,many thanks for bringing that old post backup again as i have just got myself a GPX,some very good information and well explained.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, redbluffed said:

Thank you everyone who replied i bought the axiom from gerry. Too good a deal to pass up

That Axiom Gerry had was a great deal. I think you're going to like it, I know I like mine.

• Like 2

5000 are a great detector ,but you have to put in the time,and training your ear.So many factors that you can find gold over areas that have been pounded,temperature,soil moisture,time of day relating to amount of EMI in my area after mid morning EMI really picks up.Coil size related to all the above factors.It’s a maddening chase .If it was easy everyone would have a bucket full of AU.

• Like 3