Can't Find A Backpack I'm Happy With

Looking to find a backpack that I can just wear full time while I'm detecting.  Ultimately I want something small and lite that I can just keep on and wont interfere with my pick and tool pouch that will be on a belt.  Not looking for anything real big.  Just want to pack water, food, and some extra tools. 

Additionally I want it to have "D" rings on the shoulder straps that I can attach a bungie to when I'm swinging the GPZ or larger coils on the GPX 6000.  Part of my problem is I'm finding out how long I am on the upper torso.  I've tried a couple styles of harnesses for a bungie and nothing is fitting, and yes I have made adjustments to try and make these fit.  Wanting the rings on the pack to address this obstacle.  Maybe someone else has had a similar experience?

I carry a 3 day assault pack and stash it in the area I will be detecting like a home base. Then carry my immediate needs on a harness (pouch, pick holder, 2qts water, pistol, pinpointer, scoop). If you are hiking in any appreciable distance you may find a big pack a much better option. I can carry two days of food and water, emergency kit, batteries, extra socks, rain poncho, headlamp, and anything that I would need if I was injured and had to spend a night in the bush.

If you are staying close to a vehicle a small pack would suffice, but I would suggest finding a way to use a harness as it will be easier on your back. I have detected for 8 hours with a backpack, but it was not comfortable. Your back gets sweaty, hot, and sore even with a light pack. Much better to hike it in and take it off in my opinion.

• Like 4

For the last 12 years, my main detecting pack has been a CamelBak MULE Milspec pack, they are perfect for me. I don't touch the harnesses as these hydration packs are so much better. Small and light. Has D rings in the right spot on the shoulder (not sure all newer models do today though, verify), 100oz water bladder, carries everything I need for a day. I toss a frozen plastic water bottle inside the bladder to keep the water cool, then at the end of the day if I run out of water I know I still have my backup icy bottle left to drink out of. 

Bungee stays connected always, a backup is kept in the lower pouch. I can hook a gold pan on, keep a Leatherman, pistol in the rare cases I want it in griz or drug country, extra batteries, food for a day, and my pinpointer clips onto the D ring on the other shoulder with a Key-bak. The rest I keep in my ATV saddlebags. But if I'm taking any amount of larger tools or lots of samples/rocks I do need a larger pack. 

Might go to Cabelas or REI or someplace and test fit some packs in person, some packs have D rings but are placed too low, you want it up on your shoulder and then if you need it extended you can always clip a carabiner on. I just looked and they appear to have changed the design from what I bought, apparantly removing D rings from some of them, so looking in person is probably good. 

• Like 3

I took a small hydration pack and riveted it to the minelab harness...I don’t like water bladders so just put water bottle inside..has room for snacks pin pointer and other stuff. The xp deus pack is a great pack if looking for something a little bigger. 

Strick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Purplehays69 said:

This is what I use. It carries a 3L water bladder, extras and the 2 clips on the back expand nicely to carry along an extra coil.

20240219_130407.jpg

20240219_130236.jpg

I have used the same thing for years as a hunting day pack. I vouch for the overall quality. Mesh side pockets do tear out. Because of the front Dee rings and the fact I just got a bungee from Docs I'm thinking this is what I'll use. Alps Trailblazer, Alps Outdoors. They have different styles. ( Was taking a break from a cold project outside.😀)

KIMG0671.JPG

KIMG0670.JPG

• Like 2

You might also check out 511tactical. I've got one of theirs for an everyday bag that's smaller. Doesn't have D rings but does have slots a ring or carabineer would go into.

• Like 1

I just use a SwissGear 1651 City Pack. They are narrow and small to maintain mobility, but carry 3L bladder and fit my pinpointer scoop, tools, emergency equipment etc. It has been pretty comfortable on long trips, and best of all it is 40-50 USD. I also dont like big bags that carry too much (as then I take too much I dont need).

image.thumb.jpeg.d29a20209dc59d90ca89391d1674994b.jpeg

I use a Stone Glacier Kiowa. We have to pack gear into our claims.  Buts its perfect for day trips and leaving it on whike detecting too. Narrow profile, built to last and holds all I can pack if need be.   Im gonna take it into Stone Glacier soon and have them sew on another D ring and add a couple pouches for a booster and reciever.  The company is only about an hour away from me. Great packs though.