Pulling Chip Out Of 6000 Coil

1 hour ago, Chet said:

The cable and chip module that I salvaged is from a used GPX 17”x13” coil. The graphite coil shielding has a separate ground/drain wire. I haven’t been able to use it with a standard GPX 5000 coil because the ground/drain wire is internally connected to the mono cable coax shield. Also the GPX 6000 appears to be finicky if the inductance, capacitance and resistance are not just right. I don’t know if the 11” ID chip would signal the control box to expect some different coil specifications.

A few days ago I salvaged the cable and module from a defective GPX 6000 14” Double D coil. I have wired it up to a standard 5 pin connector to adapt to the X-Coil connectors. I also rewired a ML GPX 5000 Commander 11” DD coil to the same pin connections as the X-Coils. In testing there are no coil faults and it appears to be working. But with both a GPZ 14 coil and the modified 11” DD coil there is very low sensitivity. I will do some troubleshooting to find out what is wrong.

Thank you for this info, much valued as it is helping this electronic layman get the courage up to av a go, and why no? can only let the smoke out.. 😉

• Like 3

You can turn that chip into a nice adapter, such as the one X-coils made here for testing prototype coils.

X-coilwithadapterGPX6000.thumb.jpg.feef831c9755362b7809a07fcf2a9ddd.jpg

• Like 5

If you look closely at the photo with the green toothpick; the bare wire that is looped back into the white plastic goop is the shield/ground wire. It should have been connected to the graphite shield inside the coil housing. They may have had a new employee or some accident in assembly of the coil? It resulted in a noisy and ground sensitive coil. 

GPX 6000 14 inch DD shield wire.jpg

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You can turn that chip into a nice adapter, such as the one X-coils made here for testing prototype coils.

The chip is embedded in epoxy so I am worried about damaging it with heat and/or tools to remove it. I don't want to sacrifice another coil if I mess-up. And additional coil cable for additional coils is hard to come by.

GPX 6000 14 inch DD chip module.jpg

GPX 6000 14 inch DD opened.jpg

• Like 2

You can buy the 6000 coil cables from China

Applicable to metal detector: gpz7000 sdc2300 gold monster 1000 (aliexpress.com)

The 7th item across on the list.

gpxcable.thumb.jpg.8896ab9de98fb058bd1ab048ab623927.jpg

• Like 4

Ah ha the green 'stick' mystery, will go with care when removing chip to see if perhaps there lays the cause of the intermittent 'craziness' my ML 11 developed. A X coil type cable adapter is the go, spiral coil improvement performance like the older GPXs and X gave the Z for the 6K may be possible. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You can buy the 6000 coil cables from China

Thank you this source will help a lot on some of my projects.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chet said:

Thank you this source will help a lot on some of my projects.

He also sells GPZ cables and so on, I've bought a fair bit of stuff from him.

• Like 4