Something We Don't Take Much Notice Of, But Worth Recognition, Security Detectors

It's actually pretty incredible technology, you should read about it on their website, in particular the 66 zones of detection.  We don't see these things in our part of the world, in fact I've only ever seen one at the airport.

https://garrett.com/security/walk-through/paragon-walk-through-metal-detector

Garrett Paragon Wins International Award

Garland, Texas (January 17, 2024) —Texas-based Garrett Metal Detectors was honored today by its new Paragon walk-through metal detector receiving a prestigious security industry award at the 25th Annual Intersec tradeshow in Dubai. More than 1,000 state-of-the-art companies were showcased at Intersec’s safety, security, and fire protection exhibition this week.

Garrett’s best-in-class 66-zone Paragon security detector includes revolutionary new features for ease of use, such as Zero Touch™ NFC capability and Ambiscan™ directional programming. “As Garrett enters our 60th year of business in 2024, it is a great honor to have our latest, most technically advanced walk-through detector receive such a distinctive award,” said Bob Podhrasky, Garrett’s Senior Vice President and Director of Engineering.

“This is a significant recognition of a significant product,” added Garrett CEO Steve Novakovich. “The Paragon name means ‘perfect example,’ and the Garrett Paragon was designed to address areas where other recent ‘weapons detection’ systems struggle. Small knives and some disassembled weapons are difficult for these screening systems to detect, but Paragon’s superior detection helps security-minded operators get the most performance out of their security equipment.”

Paragon’s diverse program options and Quick-Q technology fit a wide range of perimeter security needs from high throughput stadium operations to critical high security applications.

Garrettwalkthrough.thumb.jpg.5877750913f42db6ce4ae4b229a7fff1.jpg

• Like 5

That's one of the great strengths for Garrett, to me! While they don't necessarily need the hobby division, it is what the core of the business was initially with Charles, and I'm sure will be kept around, hopefully for a long time!!👍

• Like 3

My understanding is like in everything else Garrett has faced intense competition in the security area, their bread and butter. This is therefore good news as keeping strong in the security division can only benefit us also. The only way to do that is with innovative competitive product. Hopefully we see similar action on the coin relic and jewelry side of things!

• Like 5

I didn't think there would be much of a market for them as I'd only ever seen them before at the airport, so I asked Bing and found in the US at least they're a common thing someone would encounter.  Also, interesting Bing suggests contacting Garrett.

Security metal detectors are commonly used in various locations across the United States. Here are some places where you’ll typically find them:

Airports: Walk-through metal detectors (WTMDs) are standard at airport security checkpoints. They help screen passengers for concealed metallic objects before boarding flights

Schools: Some schools use metal detectors as part of their security measures. These devices help detect any concealed metallic threats on students or visitors

Government Buildings: Metal detectors are often used in government buildings to screen individuals entering restricted areas. They help security personnel identify any hidden metallic objects

Sporting Events and Concerts: Large gatherings like sports events and concerts may employ walk-through metal detectors to enhance security and prevent unauthorized items from entering the venue.

Correctional Institutions: In prisons and jails, ground search metal detectors are used to find items like weapons, contraband, and other metallic threats hidden by inmates

Public Events and Venues: Metal detectors are sometimes deployed at entrances to public events, stadiums, and entertainment venues to ensure safety and prevent prohibited items from being brought inside.

Courthouses and Government Offices: Security checkpoints at courthouses and government offices often include metal detectors to screen visitors and prevent unauthorized items from entering the premises.

Remember that the specific use of metal detectors can vary depending on the location and security protocols in place. These devices play a crucial role in maintaining safety and preventing potential threats. If you’re interested in purchasing a metal detector for personal use, you can explore options from manufacturers like Garrett, which offers a range of hand-held, ground-search, and walk-through metal detectors

• Like 3