Deus 2 Jumpy Vdi Vs Equinox 800

14 hours ago, midalake said:

Equinox, Horseshoe on I can hunt it in 21-22 sens, without driving me nuts. When I look at a fringe targets and go to 23-24 sens there is rarely a target that does not ID better. Be it ferrous or nonferrous.  

But there is no way possible to hunt the Equinox in 23-24 Sens, full time, as well for the Deus 2 at 94-95 sens. 

In my ground the Nox runs perfectly fine at 24, 25 is starting to play up a little but not much and indeed Target IDs are best at higher sensitivity, deep targets can identify as iron in lower sensitivity when in 24 they give a near perfect ID.  If someone was in a higher EMI environment or worse soils, I can see that situation even reversing as they'd never find that deep target anyway and will mess with targets in their range.

The Manticore had me fooled when I got it as something like 20 sensitivity on it seems like the Equinox maxed out which coincidently is the default sensitivity setting for the Manticore, and then 20 to 35 is going into unstable territory, not so much for the detector itself, more for Target ID's.  As they say 31 to 35 is extreme sensitivity, which the manual says can be counterproductive as targets may be masked by noise.  31 to 35 is great for tiny gold hunting in remote spots with no EMI though, even just flicking to it to help recover the target when it disappears which happens a lot with tiny gold, disturb the soil and the slight move of the piece can put it out of range.

I can run the Manticore with complete stability, no EMI chips and falsing yet it's Target ID's are still worse the higher the sensitivity.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

On 3/21/2024 at 7:22 PM, Bill (S. CA) said:

Many good, valid points here.  I'd like to add one more: learn your detector.  Hunt with it a lot.  They are all nuanced and have their quirks be it by sound or TID.  Dig your first 1000 pulltabs and I guarantee you will start picking up on subtle differences between them and potentially good targets. 

For many years I was a one detector guy.  I'd save up my finds and then move up and buy another detector.  But only one because that's all that I could afford.  Now I'm spoiled and have too many choices.  If I was totally honest I'd have to say I haven't learned any of them to the degree that I learned my detectors back in the "I only own one" days.

Very good advice for the newer detector users.  Learn your detector.  There are so many variables out there that the more you understand what the detector is telling you the more good targets especially in tough ground conditions.