Mf Machines On Mineralized Black Sand Salt Beach. Update 4/8 Legend, Manticore, Nox 900.

16 hours ago, midalake said:

Yes, that is why I rely on my other brilliant friend that has owned the Manticore for over a year. 😎

Yes, maybe. The IF of 5 did a great job of taking care of the multi metal 1-2 and 5 peso coins. I may have been able to turn it down some.  

Jeff is right.  Run the IF at 0 or 1.  Otherwise you severely compromise the depth.  And I found the setting in general to be useless.  I never run mine above 1 as it is unnecessary for stable operation.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Jeff is right.  Run the IF at 0 or 1.  Otherwise you severely compromise the depth.  And I found the setting in general to be useless.  I never run mine above 1 as it is unnecessary for stable operation.

I have found the Iron Filter setting to be very effective if I don't run it above 4 in some cases. If I am trying to avoid shallow to mid depth iron and steel trash while searching for coin sized objects at the same depth it works well. If I am trying to hit anything at fringe depths or with a smaller, poorly oriented or partially masked profile that has a good chance of its ID being skewed towards ferrous just because of depth, I am running 0 or 1 at the most.

If I am deliberately doing a maximum depth test/comparison in sand or dirt with even low amounts of magnetite dirt/sand, iron filter is on 0. If I run IF any higher, I will just hear faint iron or nothing depending on ground balance.

So, IF doesn't directly mess with depth. However, if a deeper target is being somewhat masked by magnetite it could be totally masked if Iron Filter is set too high.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:09 AM, Bill (S. CA) said:

Jeff is right.  Run the IF at 0 or 1.  Otherwise you severely compromise the depth.  And I found the setting in general to be useless. 

On 4/10/2024 at 10:21 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I have found the Iron Filter setting to be very effective if I don't run it above 4 in some cases.

I am just perplexed at the factory settings of the Legend. How could Nokta set their own machine up for failure so much?  I do not think I have seen worse factory Beach settings on any other machine. EVER. 

Doubt I will get another shot to test one. 🙄

1 hour ago, midalake said:

I am just perplexed at the factory settings of the Legend. How could Nokta set their own machine up for failure so much?  I do not think I have seen worse factory Beach settings on any other machine. EVER. 

Doubt I will get another shot to test one. 🙄

The iron filter saga is complicated.

I'll just say we are lucky that it's adjustable.

The default setting is for total Legend beginners or for total newbies to detecting hunting for 6" deep or less targets who don't want to dig any iron. Couple that high default 8 setting with all iron targets rejected and you get the picture. Even running the G discrimination pattern will put a damper on deeper, fringe of detection targets.

That default 8 setting or anything much above 2 will simply make deeper, very challenged non ferrous coin sized targets detect like iron targets or just be completely masked in iron mineralization.

I guess they were taking their cue from the Equinox 600/800 which has a default iron bias setting of 2/6 in its Beach modes and even has a default iron bias setting of 6 on the 800 in both Gold modes........totally ridiculous.