$2300 Gold- Time To Break Out The Vlf's With Little Coils

@Steve Herschbach “Almost sounds like Fisher is liquidating all the older models - hope something new is coming to replace them and it's not a getting out of the detector business sale. Has a cash flow desperation feel to it.”

That is bang on the nail,that is what i have been saying for well over a year,me thinks things at Fisher are not all that healthy and even with this pruning of inventory i dont think they will survive.....of course time will tell and its a good time for us as detectorist and the bargains that we can grab.

Of course i hope that i am seriously wrong but but gut feeling tells me that i am not.

14 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

The only noise that has ever been worse than my tinnitus is that God awful screechy threshold sound of the GB2 😃 But the detector is unmatched in very mild soil and shallow gold.

GC    

The GB-2 has a Love it or Hate it relationship with many.  It's my favorite VLF to train customers on as I can toss a small piece of gold in front of them and most newbies can't find it. After the 3 days Field Training, the customers are so in tune, they're loving it and finding gold. 

Gold only detector, for the masses I would much rather sell a GM-1000. For those few who want to Succeed much sooner and be dialed in with their detector, it was the GB-2.  Now the Equinox 800/900 and 24K have taken over GB-2 sales for the most part as they can do more,  tell you more and handle a variety of soils better than GB-2. 

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The GB-2 has a Love it or Hate it relationship with many.  It's my favorite VLF to train customers on as I can toss a small piece of gold in front of them and most newbies can't find it. After the 3 days Field Training, the customers are so in tune, they're loving it and finding gold. 

Gold only detector, for the masses I would much rather sell a GM-1000. For those few who want to Succeed much sooner and be dialed in with their detector, it was the GB-2.  Now the Equinox 800/900 and 24K have taken over GB-2 sales for the most part as they can do more,  tell you more and handle a variety of soils better than GB-2. 

Main problem is the average person does not read a manual and learn how to ground balance. I had so many Bug owners come in and tell me “I got a signal, dug, and nothing was there” and I immediately knew they were not properly ground balanced.

Much as I’m tempted I have finally… finally! learned that going back to older models I used to own is an exercise in nostalgia. I let them go for a reason and going back has never worked out. So while I’m tempted I’m not going to pull that trigger.

That's where I am, too. I sold my GB2 when I got the 800 and haven't looked back.  As many said, the GB2 is a classic and a great machine to learn on given the analog nature and the solid coils, but there have been so many advances in other models that I just couldn't justify it anymore. 

8 hours ago, RickUK said:

@Steve Herschbach “Almost sounds like Fisher is liquidating all the older models - hope something new is coming to replace them and it's not a getting out of the detector business sale. Has a cash flow desperation feel to it.”

That is bang on the nail,that is what i have been saying for well over a year,me thinks things at Fisher are not all that healthy and even with this pruning of inventory i dont think they will survive.....of course time will tell and its a good time for us as detectorist and the bargains that we can grab.

Of course i hope that i am seriously wrong but but gut feeling tells me that i am not.

191202.blackfriday.jpg

Sub gram ditts going for $5 spot? It’ll be like…

IMG_2076.thumb.jpeg.58f29af49fd3725dc418ce1f6f34240e.jpeg

But Gerry on the other hand will be posting more like this…IMG_2077.thumb.jpeg.9b08f12994028bdbcd36f503f69ef999.jpeg

I been saying it for years, FTP needs to divest Fisher, sell it off as a going brand and allow it to regain some real market share again. BH and Teknetics are a dead duck and probably need to just retire. They 'had their day' and nobody takes those brands seriously anymore. Fisher though, is still an iconic brand (first metal detector brand since 1931) and everybody knows the name. The Gold Bug 2 has been in production for 30 years (?) which says something. I owned 2 and found thousands of bits of gold with them....still sorta wish I owned one now in fact. 

I recently discovered I have not posted enough to be able to do certain things on this website so I thought I may be able to add to this post.

The Gold Bug 2 is still a machine that can and still does out produce the Gold Monster and the Eqniox on the smallest of gold and even large gold. This simple two 9-volt battery marvel has likely accounted for more gold than any other detector in its 30 years. It would be interesting to see just how many patches have been discovered because of the first little bit this machine has sounded off on.

I was recently out done by a friend using a Gold Bug 2 and I using a Gold Monster tuned in the manual settings of course. The Gold Bug 2 is just unbeatable on small gold and specimen gold. I think we have to remember that huge nuggets like the Boot of Cortez were discovered with a Radio Shack version of a VLF and these types of machines tend to fall in the hands of people that are not experienced and not searching gold known areas so the chances are good that the VHF in the hands of  unexperienced and experienced prospectors continue to be the discoverer of the first signs of a major deposit. 

Most interesting facts for me about the GB-2.  

Even though it's known for being the superior tiny gold getting VLF detector, especially when used with the smaller 6" coil, I was fortunate enough to score one of my best Oregon finds with one a few years back. 

Sometimes it's just getting in the right area and being the 1st to swing a coil over a rock that beeps.

1K.JPG

1A.jpg

1E.JPG

BGJ.JPG