Hunting With The Garrett Apex

8 hours ago, Bob Sickler said:

I honestly do not care for portrait style, cellphone-like control housings, pods, and the like to be mounted far above the center of gravity. Don't lose the beautifully simple designed Apex display and the perfectly simple menu structure actuated by the current button tactile pad array! Maybe they could make the control "S" rod with two swivel joints that tighten to your preferred angle or slant. Add to that a replaceable foam grip in the attachment style we use to cover hot-water pipes in the home. In short, keep it simple, ergonomic, lightweight, solid, and affordable for all. At my current age, it's all about comfort and the fun I originally started the hobby to have.

Apex/Axiom style control housing and menu layout is definitely one of the best setups on the market right now. Nice wide screen and LCD that's easy to read and don't have to wear a pair of reading glasses to see the screen. Menu on both machines are great too. You don't have to have the user manual in your hand trying to figure how many sub-menus and hidden options there are or try to decipher icons on the screen. I would like to see a 3 piece rod system with camlocks similar to the Axiom (maybe not as beefy) on the next model so it can be collapsed down nice and compact. 

1 hour ago, abenson said:

Apex/Axiom style control housing and menu layout is definitely one of the best setups on the market right now. Nice wide screen and LCD that's easy to read and don't have to wear a pair of reading glasses to see the screen. Menu on both machines are great too. You don't have to have the user manual in your hand trying to figure how many sub-menus and hidden options there are or try to decipher icons on the screen. I would like to see a 3 piece rod system with camlocks similar to the Axiom (maybe not as beefy) on the next model so it can be collapsed down nice and compact. 

I like the looks and function of the Axiom too, even though I wouldn't have use for a pulse in my venues. I think they used the pod from the Apex nicely( if it was second to the Apex)... I can't remember. The only thing I'm not a fan of is that little "patio chair" armcup on top of the battery compartment, but that's the graphic designer in me! 🙂  I like collapsible too, especially if I can fit it in a backpack! I have reading glasses on a cord around my neck and I still couldn't see the display on one of my recent detector purchases! Just love the backlight on the Apex display when I'm thinking, "C'mon, one more old coin!" 🙂

On 4/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, Bob Sickler said:

Yes, I too wish Garrett would add another menu item for processor speed in high trash in the new release. But remember, the faster the recovery speed, the less depth you will get. Extreme depth is sometimes not that important around old homesites. Maybe they could also give the operator the choice between modulated vs. full-on target response. Add to that user selectable number of audio pitch divisions. Personally, for a long time I have hunted using both audio and visual conductive reference and have liked an infinite range of pitches, low to high continuous. Oh yeah, simulated analog audio tone would be great.

OK, now you got me going... I'd like to see carbon fiber upper and lower rods, infinite camlock adjustment and the rods to have a shape other than round to hold the searchcoil and display in proper alignment to the housing. I'd like to have the lithium power source (replaceable) removed from the control housing and placed beneath the arm cup to add counterbalance to coil weight... Thus producing even better overall balance similar to like what Garrett did with the old GTA 1000. All-Terrain? All I care about is the whole detector is more rain resistant, I'm not an underwater hunter, other than searching streams. The Viper style coil does that extremely well. Rain resistant versus submersible would also be a good cost option for those who need it. I honestly do not care for portrait style, cellphone-like control housings, pods, and the like to be mounted far above the center of gravity. Don't lose the beautifully simple designed Apex display and the perfectly simple menu structure actuated by the current button tactile pad array! Maybe they could make the control "S" rod with two swivel joints that tighten to your preferred angle or slant. Add to that a replaceable foam grip in the attachment style we use to cover hot-water pipes in the home. In short, keep it simple, ergonomic, lightweight, solid, and affordable for all. At my current age, it's all about comfort and the fun I originally started the hobby to have.

Dang, Bob, that is a long list. Probably not likely to happen, unless someone there decides to breath a little new life into the Apex.

But I agree A trapezoid CF shaft along with those camlocks would be handy.

With the LCD display having fixed character, it is a little harder to do a lot of things, but simpler settings can be accomplished with what is currently available.  Also, any mods would probably have to be done in the settings menu.

At the very least, it would be nice to see the adjustable recovery speed, even it its only 3 steps, with the present speed in the middle. Let the user choose to run it fast for trashy spots, and normal for classic Apex effect, and slow for deeper targets in clean soil. It could be displayed as r1, r2, r3, etc.

It would be nice to see the backlight come on briefly when switching detecting modes, as it does when scrolling thru the settings. Sometimes I setup a custom pattern on one of the other modes, then toggle to it when the trash level in the soil changes. It is hard to see what mode you are in if the lighting isn't optimal, or there are reflections on the screen.

The modulated audio or analog audio tone might be possible, too.

Pitch divisions might be a little harder...

Maybe they should make the "C" source code, and other necessary files for the PIC micro controller they used open source so some who are more savvy could modify the code, re-compile it and make it available as an update for those who wish to see more performance and features. 🙂

I agree that the Apex design and control housing size and style are extremely well done. I hope that Garrett sticks with it. I too would prefer black or camo color and an infinitely  adjustable pole length. For its price, you get a lot. I can't wait to see their new "Storm" detector.

• Like 1