What Nugget Coils Are Your Most Used / Favorites?

yea, if you're in ground the EVO's on the GPX 4500 were noisy I think you would find the same with the spirals and it's the reason X-coil make standard bundle DOD coils too like the Z-search coils, the sensitivity would be the main benefit other than being able to pick the size coil you really want to use rather than the Z-search which is almost the same size as the stock coil, if you don't need that it's a pointless exercise.   

As Lesgold was pointing out he was able to find gold deeper with the 12" than the 14x13", that makes sense as at the right size gold there is always a cross over a smaller coil will do better than a bigger one on some gold, even if it's only slightly smaller, pretty hard to find that sweet spot in the wild but I guess they were able to do that with various target checking between the two.

As we all know different ground changes results.  I cruise around in HY/Normal with a sensitivity of 19, I can easily run 20 with any of the X-coils so I'm one that benefits a lot from the extra sensitivity as it doesn't change my stability at all and we are a place that tiny gold is the gold you're going to find 99% of the time, but I find 19 sensitivity has a more stable threshold which I like and going that extra notch to 20 doesn't seem to provide anything much more than a little bit more unstable threshold.  In saying that, the 7000's a dream even at 20 to run for its stability over the 6000.

I was just using the 7 with 8" yesterday after not using it for a few months as I wanted to get my money's worth out of the 6000 as if it plays up out of warranty, I'm just getting rid of it, I may even offload it before the warranty runs out as I don't have a lot of faith in it being a long lasting detector, what a smooth nice running detector the GPZ is by comparison, I'd forgotten how smooth it runs compared to the 6000, in fact it was just purring along perfectly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dig4gold said:

@Phrunt. I thought after the EMI fix on your 6000 that you loved it. What's changed?

D4G

I used my GPZ again after some time of having it stored in the cupboard to try get my monies worth out of the GPX 🙂

I just love my GPZ, it's a detector that suits me, I like the stable threshold, I like the double blips on pellets from the DOD coils, I like that I find it easy to use, I like that it talks to me in a way I can understand.    I've always liked really stable detectors, and always struggled with ratty detectors, the GPZ maxed out is so much more stable than the GPX on low sensitivity.  I guess I just like the GPZ more no matter how hard I try to like the GPX.  

My GPX is dramatically more stable after the fix, if you recall my earlier posts on the GPX I hated it, I can now deal with it, but just prefer the GPZ.  It may be detrimental to my detecting as the GPX may find some gold I'll miss with the GPZ, no way to know, although I'm sure that goes both ways.  

I just gel with the GPZ and the GPX is something I put up with.

• Like 1

Fair enough. Thanks. Just goes to show, again, that no one detector or coil combos do it all. I take it too that you are talking about totally detecting previously hammered ground & not out general prospecting for new virgin stuff? That is a different ball game all together.

In the perfect world we would all love a stable, smooth, rock solid threshold. When pushing detectors to their limits, especially on hammered ground trying to squeak out that bit more depth/sensitivity, the threshold is going to suffer. It then becomes a matter of dealing with that but still knowing what the detector/ground is telling you. Bit like Steve's insane high end settings. Not for everybody & obviously not for you but can be the difference in hearing signals among that "noise". The reality of that "noise" is that it just becomes part of the threshold to your ear & your brain/hearing adapts to it almost subconsciously given a bit of time & any target signals stand out.

D4G

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Bit like Steve's insane high end settings. Not for everybody & obviously not for you but can be the difference in hearing signals among that "noise". The reality of that "noise" is that it just becomes part of the threshold to your ear & your brain/hearing adapts to it almost subconsciously given a bit of time & any target signals stand out.

I run HY/Normal/19 all the time on my GPZ, they may be considered insanely high settings but to me they're normal, they're not ratty, if the GPZ let us put up the sensitivity to something like 25 then it would probably become ratty, the reason I don't go to 20 on the sensitivity is it gives that little bit of instability that 19 doesn't.  I haven't noticed an improvement in performance using 20 over 19, so I just prefer to keep it purring along perfectly at 19.  The GPX on the other hand even on lowest sensitivity is more ratty than the GPZ on 19.  Well at least for me it is as soils conditions don't create noise, so I guess a way for someone to replicate that would be to run their GPZ holding it up in the air away from soil 🙂

I find the little 8" runs really nice too as it's just not affected by EMI as much as bigger coils being so tiny.  

I understand people loving the GPX for its performance, it's great, I'm just a GPZ type of person, and I'm not at all bothered by its weight.  I get no more worn out swinging the GPZ all day than I do the GPX,  it's not my arms that get tired, it's my legs 🙂

I did a rough count on the most used/favorite coils and added them up minus the single numbers, thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. 

Here’s what I came up with:

GPZ-7000 has

5 for NF 12” Zsearch

3 for OEM 14x13”

2 each for X-coils 8”

2 each for X-coils 15”CC

GPX-6000 has

6 for Coiltek 10x5” Goldhawk

3 for 11” OEM

2 for NF 12x7” Exceed

GPX-5000 has

5 for 15” Evo Spiral

4 for 14x9” Evo Spiral

3 for 12” Evo Spiral

2 for 19” Evo Spiral

SDC-2300 has

2 for Coiltek 11” Mono

Equinox series has

3 for the 6” coil

Gold Bug 2 has

3 for the 6.5” CC

Axiom seems to favor the 11x7” coils from my experience.

• Like 3