Underwater 600 Without Headphones

Will be receiving my 600 in a few days and was wondering if you can submerge the unit without headphones and hear it, is it safe to do? I will be getting underwater headphones when available and intend to wade and snorkel with it, should be a fun machine.

Welcome to the forum!

You won't hurt the detector submerging it as long as the plug is installed in the earphone port. However, unless you are in very still water I am doubtful about the ability to hear the detector very well underwater. Any sound from surf at all would drown out the detector. Still, it is all speculation until somebody gives it a go. If the water was warmer around here I would try it myself but its not going to happen right now!

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Welcome to the forum!

You won't hurt the detector submerging it as long as the plug is installed in the earphone port. However, unless you are in very still water I am doubtful about the ability to hear the detector very well underwater. Any sound from surf at all would drown out the detector. Still, it is all speculation until somebody gives it a go. If the water was warmer around here I would try it myself but its not going to happen right now!

Thanks Steve, won’t happen here either for a while, but glad to know it’s possible in a calm lake.