Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Oh man...that one is really pitted....but still a big improvement over fresh dug red.  Keep em coming!!!!

• Like 1

I like a good ol nickel just as much as any other good ol coin.  Value is a different question.  You have to dig em so you don't miss gold.

Mitchel

• 2 weeks later...

I was out doing some metal detecting looking for that fist elusive siver coin, I was at an older park that I felt may give me some luck on the older stuff. After a bit of no luck and not much of anything including junk, I hit a solid 58 VDI on my F19 and a short distance from that a second solid 58. Well knowing this to be a defiant nickel sign I dug them up. I like nickels anyway. Date on the first was 64 and the second was 54. Now I know that is not impressive to most but its getting to the age of silver and that is exciting for me.

Before moving on I checked the spot and got a solid 47 VDI thought that was odd but it was really solid so I had to see what it was.

Turns out to be a happy dance:smile: 12 Safire and 5 Diamonds at 10 KT.....................

IMG_2797.thumb.JPG.1ca62476bbb8b106ebd417b2ef88b66d.JPG

HH, SJM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You can definitely find rings in the nickel range. The reality is the nickel range is a weak spot for rings with most women’s rings falling in the foil area below where a nickel reads. Conversely, most men’s rings show up in the pull tab area above where nickels read. Anyone who wants rings has to purposefully focus on the two most trash laden areas of the target id scale!

Ring Target ID Numbers

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I love finding nickels. My area here in northeast Texas was settled 1850’s. My oldest coin to date is a no date shield nickel.  I hunt an older park quite a bit and around one old oak I have pulled 14 V nickels and the shield. Don’t know what the people were doing around that old tree but they lost a bunch of nickels.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 4:50 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Not that hot I think, just local parks, and more like 7-8 hours over three outings. 

Good thing you cleared it up. I was starting to not like you lol. As it was making my 5 dollar average on a three hour run look bad. Therefore breaking up my hopes and dreams of keeping up with you.

• Haha 1

It’s not that hard to pile up some change if you hit parks not hit hard for years. I get the impression that many places got hit hard back in the original “silver rush” of the 70s and 80s but then detecting pressure declined as the silver played out. Some parks etc. seem fairly full of change dropped in the last 40 years that makes for easy pickings on the first initial runs.

• Like 1