Depth On 600 And 800

19 minutes ago, parkgt said:

Taking a CTX to a site to help determine some level of optimization is not a realistic approach for most to help dial in this setting. 

This uncertainty is IMO why so many run as high as possible without obvious audio feedback.  What other feedback loop is there to guide their setting?

Never said it was a good idea for most.  Many poo poo the way I hunted with the CTX in a park to begin with so they probably wont like the way I like intend to setup the 800 to hunt in a park.  I do not want all my targets screaming at me.  I understand that there is fear that something deep will be missed if the machine isn't screaming.  It is what drove me to have the machine at 24 the entire first hunt out, the same drive that still has me digging iffy signals only to find a nail. 

As for turning off the high beams, I did see a difference right away.  I cant remember what made me turn it down, but I had a deep repeatable signal and I think I wanted to see if I could get the volume on this target to decrease.  What happened was surprising, the VID became more stable and the iron grunts I got around the good target (I hunt in all metal with fe volume a little up from stock) reduced in number.  It was a striking difference, so much so that I felt the need to make a post about it in my second hunt posting. 

You are right there though, uncertainty that they are pumping out enough power will drive the notching up of the sensitivity to the edge of stability.  Can't tell you any other way to learn what you need for your detector in your area other than to take it out and fiddle with it.  I strongly urge anyone that is willing to try, to take a (suspected) deep coin and reduce sensitivity until they hear volume change a little bit on it and make a note of what the sensitivity is at.  Then dig the target and see what they had at what depth.  If it is a copper cent at 8" that is a good point to start at as they are less responsive than a dime. 

So I turn your question to you, I would enjoy hearing some of your ideas how to overcome this lack of "feedback loop"?  The more ideas I can try the better.

48 minutes ago, Vez said:

I strongly urge anyone that is willing to try, to take a (suspected) deep coin and reduce sensitivity until they hear volume change a little bit on it and make a note of what the sensitivity is at.  Then dig the target and see what they had at what depth.  If it is a copper cent at 8" that is a good point to start at as they are less responsive than a dime. 

So I turn your question to you, I would enjoy hearing some of your ideas how to overcome this lack of "feedback loop"?  The more ideas I can try the better.

The approach suggested is certainly a good one and if enough targets present themselves during that hunt at that site to experiment with; an optimum setting could be established; at least for that site.   Over the course of several hunts in similar ground, with similar moisture and iron density a general range could be established that may be much lower than the 22 to 25 many feel must be run.  

Will many that lower sensitivity and not find much be nagged by the thought they should have had it higher or vice versa?

I don't have any better ideas at this point than the approach you suggest and like you look forward to others thoughts and experiences with this and the other settings.

Some reviews seemed to suggest that the NOX was more of a turn on a go detector than others.  As time goes on it is apparent that finding the best program and settings for a given site and targets with the NOX can be just as elusive as it is with other machines.

Much of the enjoyment for me is the journey and not the destination;  although finding some interesting things along the way makes the journey more enjoyable.  If it was too easy some of us would lose interest.

19 hours ago, Fskafish said:

Thank u guys tim as always, steve, i was just curious as an in general the type of depth users where getting depending on alot of different factors.also elf thanks.

I do think VLF max depth reached a limit over 20 years ago VLF Detectors And Depth

I spent a lot of time cross checking results in my soil, and in a nutshell Equinox is as deep as the best of them, and it gets into serious hair splitting in that regard. Most top tier models will give equally good signals on the vast majority of targets.

nokta-impact-xp-deus-teknetics-g2-minelab-equinox.jpg

Prior thread on subject...

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5830-is-the-equinox-a-deep-seeking-machine/