The Down Side To GPZ Insanely Hot Settings

Condor

I got out for a little over an hr this morning.  Went to an old area that had produced in the past, but I forgot about how much trash was there and how hot the ground was.  Guys familiar with the Yuma area know this as the Laguna's behind Adair Park.  Red clay and millions of bullets and bullet fragments.  I ignored hundreds of shallow surface targets and concentrated on finding a deep target or something in the side of erosion cut banks.  Insanely Hot does not serve you well in these conditions.

I've been breaking in a new pair of leather hiking boots and the metal eyelets are a real problem running Insanely Hot settings.  No steel toe, just leather reinforcement.  I've worn no metal lightweight hiking boots of every brand most of my detecting life, but they were leaving me wanting.  I was wearing out at least 2 pairs a year and the rubber soles were not up to the task of extreme cactus or kicking footholds into steep hillsides.  Boot scraping the ground for hot rocks and trying to clean up an iffy target signal was killing those lightweight rubber soles.  I've got a half dozen pairs in the garage with a delaminated sole on the left boot from me scraping ground signals. 

So, I bought quality leather hiking boots with firm Vibram soles and so far I'm really happy with the comfort, support and apparent durability.  However, I really have to change up my coil swing style when running Insanely Hot.  I'm only 5'7" and extended the coil shaft as far as it would go for some relief.    Do they make a shaft extension, for the detector I mean?  I can't imagine what havoc the new 19" coil will bring.

The nugget came out of a cut bank, screaming at about 4 inches.

nighthawk 008.jpg

nighthawk 007.jpg

• Like 6

nice job, Steve.

If the eyelets are the only metal you can remove them; maybe get some plastic-type to replace them....if the arch-support is metal the eyelets won't matter much...dragging my left foot over targets sometimes makes that knee hurt a bit...

fred

10 minutes ago, fredmason said:

nice job, Steve.

If the eyelets are the only metal you can remove them; maybe get some plastic-type to replace them....if the arch-support is metal the eyelets won't matter much...dragging my left foot over targets sometimes makes that knee hurt a bit...

fred

Thanks Fred,

I didn't think about the arch.  I just ran the pinpointer of them, yep they're metal in there.  No wonder they were sounding off so much.  Shoot, I like these boots.

I have found Merrill's light hiking boots to be metal free and comfortable. I lived with my old "beeper boots" for too long. You do get some odd looks in the shoe store with your pin pointer ;-)

You would be OK at Sierra Sports in Reno,,,they were used to me doing that.... the last pair i got in reno have metal eyelets that looked like plastic so i am going to drill them out----- the ones you gave me were a size too small scott... they ended up with a hobo in Redding:laugh:

true story

• Like 1

Nice nugget ...

You can go to a shoe repair and have them 'changed' for you rather than no eyelet.

I think the different swing style will make the most difference since you have other, bigger metal there.  I have a pair of water boots (I can use on the beach) that are great but they have metal.  I have to swing away from them also.

Mitchel

Way back when, before non-metal boots were available I learned to time my swing to be opposite the closest foot...a hard dance to learn...but I did learn. Now I wear 5:11's which I love...unfortunately the model I have is discontinued...

fred

• Like 1