Steve, I know exactly how you feel. I myself was a White's user for 37 years, and for 30 years I was one of their largest dealers. I'm still mentally numb about them going out of business. Yesterday l said my "goodbyes" to many of my friends at Whites. What a loss. Oh well...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Is it possible White's could reorganize and start up again?

Reorganizing means finding a buyer. Probably someone will buy it, either in pieces or as a whole. Whether that means the name will live on depends on the buyer(s).

• Like 1

There are a lot of good detectors and idea's at White's. Someone will take it and maybe make it better.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sadly, I placed my last order on Wednesday.  The factory was open to dealers for one day only. I wanted the GMX Sport but they were sold out so I ordered the 24K with the 6” round Concentric and 10” DD Elliptical coils with covers. I wanted the 4x6 but they didn’t have any. I think they should have made Friday the last day. We received the email in the morning and only had until 3:00 p.m. to get our orders in.

In my conversation with Jack, he mentioned that there may be a sale in the works but couldn't tell me anymore than that.  He had to cut our conversation short so that he could get all the orders out that day!

Too bad the employees and some Distributors/Dealers couldn't come up with the funds to buy it.

Edited by Bohemia Miner
Wanted to add something
  • Like 2

I'm a bit surprised how few people care, the announcement on forums around the internet has had minimal reaction with a few short threads, most following along the lines of "outdated detectors, is it any wonder", people just shrugged it off.

I guess that was reflected in their sales figures too.  They needed better access to the world market and the prices of some of their detectors were too high for what they were.

I jumped through hoops all day yesterday to try buy a TRX, I contacted every dealer I could find in Australia, most had already closed down forever, one has replied saying they don't ship international but we don't really have stock of Whites stuff anymore.  I went through this trying to buy a 24k when it came out too.  No dealer in NZ ever took on Whites, I can get every other brand except First Texas' range, only the Gb2 and F-Pulse are sold here at the Fisher dealer, the only models viable.  The Fisher dealer that carried the other detectors closed down last year leaving the big smarter successful multi line dealer who only stocks what sells.

It's buy from the US or don't buy at all for Whites... And US shipping is terribly expensive and at the moment very unreliable.  It might never arrive.  They needed to get their product into some dealers in other countries that were multi line big popular dealers to get sales or big box stores, not guys running out of their garage.  The big successful brands products are simple to buy.

I think their failure was partly to do with management and their decisions rather than just their products.   I know I'd have a 24k and all of it's coils, and a TRX.... and who knows what else if I could get my hands on them.  I've long read about US buyers struggling to buy their coils too.

When we had no Nokta dealer Dilek contacted our biggest dealer asking if he wanted to sell Nokta, he of course said yes.  Whites' could have done this too, it costs them nothing.

There my vent is over, frustrating when you want to buy something, to hand money over to a company, but they don't want to take it 🙂

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm a bit surprised how few people care, the announcement on forums around the internet has had minimal reaction with a few short threads, most following along the lines of "outdated detectors, is it any wonder", people just shrugged it off.

I guess that was reflected in their sales figures too.  They needed better access to the world market and the prices of some of their detectors were too high for what they were.

I jumped through hoops all day yesterday to try buy a TRX, I contacted every dealer I could find in Australia, most had already closed down forever, one has replied saying they don't ship international but we don't really have stock of Whites stuff anymore.  I went through this trying to buy a 24k when it came out too.  No dealer in NZ ever took on Whites, I can get every other brand except First Texas' range, only the Gb2 and F-Pulse are sold here at the Fisher dealer, the only models viable.  The Fisher dealer that carried the other detectors closed down last year leaving the big smarter successful multi line dealer who only stocks what sells.

It's buy from the US or don't buy at all for Whites... And US shipping is terribly expensive and at the moment very unreliable.  It might never arrive.  They needed to get their product into some dealers in other countries that were multi line big popular dealers to get sales or big box stores, not guys running out of their garage.  The big successful brands products are simple to buy.

I think their failure was partly to do with management and their decisions rather than just their products.   I know I'd have a 24k and all of it's coils, and a TRX.... and who knows what else if I could get my hands on them.  I've long read about US buyers struggling to buy their coils too.

When we had no Nokta dealer Dilek contacted our biggest dealer asking if he wanted to sell Nokta, he of course said yes.  Whites' could have done this too, it costs them nothing.

There my vent is over, frustrating when you want to buy something, to hand money over to a company, but they don't want to take it 🙂

The reasons most businesses fail is that the person steering the boat won't take advice of the most loyal team members telling them that the boat is off course. It's that stubbornness, denial,  and unwillingness to let others have a say, that crashes a business. The best thing that could happen to White's is new blood at the top.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Here is a tiny part of a long and complicated story....

All true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mike Hillis
      I'm going to try out the new Tek weatherproof headphones with the 8500    They are really designed for use with the armrest headphone jack models like the T2 and F75 but I have an extension cord that allows me to use them with the 8500
      These are very nice weather proof Koss models made for 1st Texas. I've had them awhile and I've used them with my F75, Impact and Gold Kruzer, V3 and Etrac.   Audio wise I find them to be on par with the White's Prostars.   I don't have any problem recommending them and they are reasonably priced.
      HH
      Mike

https://www.tekneticsdirect.com/products/Weatherproof Headphones
      These metal detecting headphones are designed by Koss for Teknetics® following our stringent product specifications.  They are weatherproof to IPX4 specifications to withstand the harshest weather conditions. Our Headphones have superior sound quality, dual volume control and are noise isolating. Teknetics® has created these high quality, weatherproof headphones ideal for beginner detectorists and professional treasure hunters alike, now at a very affordable price. 
      Weatherproof IPX4 Comfortable Over the Ear Design Dual Volume Control Noise Isolating High Performance Sound Quality 18-20,000 Hz frequency 5 ft 60 in Coiled Cord with ¼” Jack 2 Year Warranty Folds Up for Compact Storage and Convenient Travel
    • By Sven1
      Picked this V5 up from a friend in the US. One of those brand detectors I had an eye on before folks in the US got wind of them. At the time they were the V3 version. Think I was the first to post about them before someone took interest in them and decided to bring them over. Which created lots of drama for a number of years before vanishing. When offered the V5, I did not hesitate, may not get another chance as they don't seem appear on the market. Was up for the challenge see if I can get this machine to perform.
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      Using the Bliss V5 with the 7x9 coil.
      Took it out to my favorite soccer field with a running track this morning. Got wet a bit. Knew they had a sprinkler system, never knew it actually worked. Found out it does. Every 20 minutes another three start up and the previous three shut down. They circle the field twice.  So I set the Bliss up like my bench test. Did a manual ground balance, so easy took a minute, piece of cake. Guess a 10 turn GB pot won't be needed after all. Took all of about 40 minutes to get used to it. Stable, smooth....Have to say it felt like I used this detector for a long time. Just felt like all the beep and digs I have used wrapped up into one. Just a heck of a lot deeper!!! For the most part only had to adjust threshold a bit now and then, damp and dry dirt. And at one point had some EMI, not bad but, it was there. All I did was adjust the frequency up a bit and drop the Threshold a tiny bit. I was ready to dig a lot of trash and figuring my knee was going to pay for it later. Really surprised that I found very little trash, it was there, could hear. It was easy to tell the canslaw, iron, nails from coins just listening to the duration and sharpness of the target signal. Easy to size a target. Setting the Disc level and Disc depth at the particular setting and using the three position disc toggles, really worked great. Hunt in #3, if I get a a breakup signal, will check in #2, if it double blips or breaks up, really don't have to dig it. Will now dig if its  a very tight signal break up, found it could be a very deep Can. clad coin. I do switch to #2 to take another look at the target, if the signal is good in #3 and good in #2, from what was dug today, its a good target. Appears that the disc target is kind of a notching, each # has a different target acceptance width to it. In a weird way, kind of reminds me how I used the DeepTech Vista X with the two disc controls, standard and alternate in conjunction with adjustable two tone disc control. Even thou the Blisstool V5 is a single tone detector, it does give a lot of target information. Pinpointing was a little iffy at first, using the Makro PulseDiver Pinpointer was needed to zoom in on the target. Later in the hunt, was able to pinpoint with the coil almost dead center on top of the target. The PulseDive pinpointer made locating the target even easier. Couple notes about the Bliss and the pinpointer, had to keep the coil far away from it. It would cause EMI. Did not make an attempt to change the PD frequency as I was too busy having fun. Second note, the headphones I was using pretty well muffled the audio from the PD. So it was switched to vibrate mode, found I really like that mode.

Hunted for about 4.5 hours this morning. the sun was out, no wind, and temps approaching high 80's F degrees. Had to stop at that point.
      Dug only 3 pieces of foil, foil rejection was excellent, was thinking to myself, this was just like my Mirage Pi..... Dug some very deep 7" pull tabs and most of the coins came from the 7-8" depth. This is with the Gain set at minimum.
      Think only three coins came from depths less than 7" to about 4".  The Bliss V5 from what I saw today is an excellent Canadian clad machine. Real happy with its performance, feel and balance. Thought about acquiring another Tesoro or possibly some deeper beep and dig, no longer looking. Think the Bliss covers about all my needs and then some as a beeper. Definitely a keeper. And having the 11" and 15" coils and lots more Gain if needed, should make  for a great all around relic detector.
      Didn't find any $1 and $2 coins today, think I already found them all using previous detectors, wasn't expecting to find any.

The Blisstool is now one of those obscure machines you rarely see or hear about these days, too bad so many that bought one sold them pretty early on. Some couldn't wrap their head around how the controls function and work. Then there are those that were able to, found they were excellent detectors with lots of potential and had excellent success with them. Looking forward to using the V5 much more.

• By George Kinsey
      Worked very well in bad ground, lite weigh housing, Auto ground trac, pinpoint, three tone options, visual target I.D. and depth reading down to 10". I may take this one with me to the After life.

• By Aaron
      I put the batteries back in the old Mark 1 LTD, just to make a short demo video on this beautiful old machine. Hope ya like it!
      https://forums.tarsaccisales.com/forum/7/george-paynes-masterpiece-mark-1-ltd
    • By KevinOntheCape
      Hello all, new member here. I recently got a Rutus Alter 71 after using an AT Pro for the past couple yrs. After much research I chose this over the Nox 800 because I can't run with the crowd and after hearing an interview with the developer I was hooked. I wanted a change because my buddy was really cleaning up with his MX Sport and for me as a musician the AT Pro tones annoyed me, particularly the iron grunt gets tiresome. 
            I will say the AT has been good to but the Alter is another level and I really like it. The sweet sounds and tweakability makes me feel connected to the machine just as a really good guitar seems to become an extension of the music making not just a thing in my hands. The Alter arrived the day after having shoulder surgery which gave a couple of days with the manual and online videos before I gave in an assembled it.The next day I had it in the backyard to get familiar with the menus and such, man oh man it was comfortable to swing and well balanced.I have been out about 5 times with it looking goofy with one arm in a sling but got comfortable with it very quickly and have been hitting finds much quicker and more often.I have a learning curve ahead of me but I feel that this machine is a good platform to learn skills I have been reading about and makes those techniques accessible. 
          I have questions for anyone familiar with this detector-
         1- any headphone recommendations? I am putting together a bluetooth setup but may get wired ones also.
         2-I setup a discrimination pattern but it appears to be a global setting,can this be setup as a user program to be recalled ? Any other tips and guidance will be welcome, I really feel good about this detector.

Rutus Alter 71 metal detector
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Man, I need to keep up. First Texas introduced the Teknetics Patriot in 2017, a direct clone of the Fisher F70. I did not notice that they quietly discontinued the Fisher F70 in 2018, because they are still list on the Fisher website as current models. That and there were enough models left in stock that you can still find some new with some dealers to this day. But they are very near sold out now. Anyway, the F70 is definitely gone but not really, because you can still get it at a lower price as the Patriot. The Fisher F5 and Fisher F4 models have also been quietly discontinued, replaced by similar Teknetics and Bounty Hunter models at lower prices. These Fisher models also can still be found new at some dealers but are almost gone.
      Anyway, I updated the Metal Detector Database to reflect this oh so not late breaking news. 
      That leaves the Fisher F11, F22, F44, F75, F19, CZ-3D, Gold Bug, Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2, 1280-X, CZ-21, and Gemini 3 as current models. Of those only the F11, F22, and F44 are relatively new models, with half the current Fisher lineup being old carry over models from the First Texas acquisition of Fisher way back in 2006.

Fisher F70 metal detector

Fisher F5 metal detector

Fisher F4 metal detector