Reading a recent thread reminded me of the Nautilus and how it was perceived and received by detectorists here in the UK. 

My detectors of choice are GPX-5000 and Nexus MP/Ultima, with a selection of coils.   Prior the Nexus my favoured VLF being the Nautilus DMC-IIB. 

At the time, relatively few UK detectorist had heard of the Nautilus and of the few who had and went on to purchase, most gave up on it.  They couldn't get their heads round the necessary coil balancing or get to grips with the unique way it could ID iron and the way the batteries were exposed on the underside was a total turnoff. 

Nevertheless, as a lot of readers will know, the Nautilus was a very good detector, deep with good iron discrimination.  The fact that some expressed negative opinions, didn't and couldn't change the fact that the Nautilus DMC-IIB was a very good detector. 

I have recently ordered the Nexus 21" Concentric coil for use on my GPX.  This coil is like two coils in one.  With just the outer coil in operation it's a 21" mono (no discrimination and max depth), when both the inner and outer are in use, discrimination comes into play. 

Two cables come from the coil into a small box, this in turn connects to the GPX coil connection.  The little box has a two position switch for maximum depth (mono) and discrimination (Hot Ground) by using both the inner and outer coils. 

I will let readers know my opinion in due course. 

• Like 4

My Nexus 21" Concentric coil has arrived, yippee!  A whole lot faster than expected.     We are in lock down here so I think it will be some weeks before I can get onto a decent site to put it through its paces.   However, as soon as the rain stops I will paddle out in the garden to get a feel of it, not ideal I know but I just can't wait to give it a try. 

Will take a couple of photos and post up as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

IMG_20210119_202916.jpg

IMG_20210119_202612.jpg

IMG_20210119_202748.jpg

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

So what's special about this coil and the scientific principles involved?

I have no idea of the scientific principles involved.   I am just a very enthusiastic detectorist.    This coil is different to any others for my GPX, in that it is concentric and whilst used as a concentric discrimination can be used.  Alternatively it can be used as a mono coil for maximum depth without discrimination.  As a mono it makes use of the 21" outer coil.  As a concentric it is using both the inner oud outer coils. 

Once I am free from the covid lock down, I will be able to see how it performs in the field.  I hunt coins and artifacts in the UK. 

• Like 2

So it has its own dedicated toggle switch to switch between the modes?  What setting do you use on the GPX itself - DD?  And what happens if you reposition the the coil switch on the GPX control box to Cancel/Mono?  Can it be used in noise cancel mode, too?  It also talks about a mineralization mode - what's that?  Very littlle information on the website itself.

51 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

So it has its own dedicated toggle switch to switch between the modes?  What setting do you use on the GPX itself - DD?  And what happens if you reposition the the coil switch on the GPX control box to Cancel/Mono?  Can it be used in noise cancel mode, too?  It also talks about a mineralization mode - what's that?  Very littlle information on the website itself.

With the coil control switch on CC, I would have the GPX on DD, with the Coil control switch on M, the GPX will be set to Mono.  With the GPX on Cancel, the coil control switch with be on CC. 

Yes, the original coil switch settings were referred to as "hot ground, or mineralised ground" and "maximum depth".   I believe some people found that confusing, so it is now named CC & M.  M is mono, and will give max depth, CC is concentric which may be better in highly mineralised soil and also offers the opportunity of discrimination. 

As mention, I haven't had a chance to use the coil yet because of Covid lock down here in the UK.  However, I will post my thoughts once I have had a chance to swing it on one of my detecting sites. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Still not been able to get out in the field because of Covid restrictions.   However,  I have been out into the back garden and am delighted with it. 

The most striking point is the ability, at the flick of a switch, to change from a 21" mono to a 21" concentric coil.  

It will probably be sometime in March before travel restrictions are lifted but as soon as they are, I will be heading to a site or two to see what this coil can turn up for me.  The sites have in the past produced medieval hammered coins, but the last few years have been extremely lean. 

• Like 1

So it is either a large mono or as concentric would it be similar to the dual field more than an actual concentric coil?

You lifting weights during the lock down to get into shape to swing that beast? :)

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, kac said:

So it is either a large mono or as concentric would it be similar to the dual field more than an actual concentric coil?

You lifting weights during the lock down to get into shape to swing that beast? 🙂

The manufacturer describes it as a concentric. One coil transmits and the other receives. 

The weight is not bad for such a large coil, probably due to it being encased in carbon fibre.  At 1100g it compares well with the smaller Coiltek 14" Elite Mono (1100g) and Nugget finders closed 15" Round Evolution Spiral Mono (1000g). 

I also use a bungy, so no need for the weight lifting. LOL

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      If we look at the detectors that are already out and the one’s coming out what do you want?
       The Nox 800 may not be the best swimmer but other than that it still does a good to great job of detecting. I can pick it up to go relic,coin and gold hunt on land or water.
       The Tarsacci bye the videos I’ve seen can be a good to great relic detector . What being said it really shines as a beach be it land or water. I myself haven’t seen it at a straight dirt digging coin detector.
      Then here comes the new AQ from Fisher and up front they say this is a water detector. It’s specialty is to find gold deeper than ever before in wet sand are in the water.
       The Nokta/Makro we just not sure but according to Dilek they are working hard to get it to us .
      The Garrett people not too long ago came out with the Apex . Any new detector some will say it’s as great as moms Apple pie and another say it’s not for me .
       What all this comes down to would you want to buy one detector that can do everything good to great? In  a roundabout way getting something free. The other choice you would have is buy one for water another relic and another for nugget hunting. Then to if you wanted to go digging in the dirt for coins only you best add another detector.
       I really don’t want to be hauling all those detectors around that fits in it’s own little niche.
       I could see were it would be best to have a water detector if it’s made to handle saltwater. My reasoning is saltwater is unforgiving if it gets into the electronic of your detector. Now if you don’t do saltwater hunting but just freshwater I know from pass experience it is forgiving. Then you may not have need for water only detector.
       It comes down to buy one and get three free in that one. The other choice is buy and buy until you’ve got yourself covered in all of what you like to hunt .
       Chuck 
    • By calabash digger
      Do you care about these things? How good is your detector? How do I become a better detectorist? How do I become more successful at finding the old stuff?

• By Dances With Doves
      I will say my Nox is even though  I did well with my  Explorer Xs  when I had it.I think it is better in most situations and lighter and able to snag coins in the water too.The FBS machines may be better in a few situations but with the silver coin population dwindling I think these days the Nox is better for the tougher  coins that are left.You can also change to a  single  frequency if EMI is a problem.In  one part of park the EMI was so bad that it made  my buddies explorer almost useless while  I did  good.For having the FBS technology  at a  certain time nothing will beat having the Explorer for the time it came out.Having that machine in  2000 helped me clean up even though I probably had about 40% of the skill and knowledge I have today.That machine was way ahead of it's  time and made me look  good. I did good on silver the first few years I had it and there was a lot of silver left  because those machines before  it missed them.The FBS machines probably have found more silver then any other machine in the turf by a  wide margin. In 1  good year with the explorer I have found more silver then what    the Nox  could in the 2.5 years that I used it    which includes the ones in the   water where I could not bring a Explorer.FBS machine will always be   legendary for silver coins.
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      What does a Veteran Detectorist think of all the gold detectors?  I’ve been hooked and chasing gold nuggets for 25 years with a metal detector.  I really don’t care who makes it or where it’s from, as long as the detector can find me more gold.  I’ve used most all of the popular gold detectors manufactured and or sold in the US in that same 25 yrs.
      I’ve watched metal detector manufactures grow, seen them make a few duds, helped a couple introduce some fine detectors to the industry and I hate to admit it, but have watched a couple big name manufactures close their  doors.   I think it might be fun to share my spin on the brand that seems to just keep getting bigger and stronger – Minelab.  Yes there’s a few guys out there who have been using detectors longer than I and maybe they don’t agree with me.  No worries, I’m not trying to outdo anyone or prove a point.  I just want to share what I have experienced and if someone feels different and wants to take the time to do a write up, that’s even better.  It adds to the discussion and conversation of what we here on DP love, detecting for gold.
      Chuck had asked if Minelab had made a gold detector that was essentially not much of an improvement.  Jason gave his input and history of Minelab detector and how he ranked them.  I got to thinking, as a Minelab dealer for 20+ yrs and one who was even using their technologies and products in the field with success, before I became a dealer, I feel some more light could be shed and even going back before Jason was on board.
      Minelab SD-2100. In 1996 I was blown away with the introduction of the SD-2100 and it's power (depth) over a VLF.  Yes, it was a heavy detector but I was young and enjoyed digging deep holes.  Definitely deserved a 5 star rating as this was the deepest detector I had ever got my hands on.
      Minelab SD-2200d. The year 1998 a new version, the SD-2200d come along and the depth was on par with the 2100, but the 2200 had some discrimination, which worked ok.  This detector did not knock me off my feet, but I did use the DISC in some areas of Oregon to get good gold in trash.  I'd rate it a 3 Star.
      Minelab GP-Extreme. 2000 was a good year and the introduction of the GP-Extreme with DVT (Dual Voltage Technology) allowed for greater improvements on smaller and finer gold than the SD's.  Minelabs claim of nuggets 55% deeper than an SD-2200d (wonder why they did not say SD-2100?).  I was pretty happy with their claim and my success…when I found an Extreme that ran properly as some of the early ones were noisy.  I would give it a 4 star.
      Minelab GP-3000. The issues of the GP-Extreme were cleaned up and an improved GP-3000 came out in 2003.  Again, no big jump in depth, but cleaning up the internal noises allowed for cleaner smoother operation, clearer signal response and a few more nuggets.  In my opinion the GP-3000 earned a 3 star. 
      Minelab GP-3500. Only 2 years later in 2005 and the GP-3500 was in my hands.  Again, no big depth difference in any types of gold, but the Ground Tracking Button was added to the top of the hand grip.  This change was nothing I wrote home about, but it was an improvement.  I'd rate it a 3 star at the time.
      Realize from the SD2100 (I never owned an SD-2000), up through and including the GP-3500, the coils, shafts and power supply were the same, so in reality it's hard to get a big increase in depths.  The GP series with the DVT was better at smaller/rougher gold but depth on big gold was all pretty close and I felt in some cases the SD's could get a little better depth on solid nuggets.  Today, finding a good clean SD-2100, SD-2200, GP-3000 or GP-3500 and it runs properly, at a decent price, would be a wise move for someone on a budget wanting to step up to a PI.  That’s why I am willing to take some of the older units in trade, but the price has to be right.
      Minelab GPX-4000. 2006 was the GPX-4000, yes a new series "GPX" and there was improved capabilities again on smaller gold, specimens and crystalline gold.  New lighter battery, digital readout tuning and more timings.  No claim of extra depth from Minelab but I felt the adding timings, and digital adjustments were in fact getting me a few more pieces of gold.  I give the GPX-4000 a solid 4 rating of 5.
      Minelab GPX-4500. In 2008 we were offered the very popular (even to this day), GPX-4500.  I personally did not see a big difference in depths and or did Minelab make any claims of such.  But it did have SETA (if I recall, a smoothing filter?) and added Timings, improved battery with built in Amp and a better waist belt, for what that’s worth.  Even though this machine was not a wow factor for me, it did prove the test of time and to this day is a fantastic PI detector.  In fact it was fazed out in the US and then later brought back at a better price point.  At the 2nd better price point, certainly a 4 star, maybe 5, but at 1st when came out in 08, I rate it a 3 out of 5.
      Minelab GPX-5000. Fall of 2010 we get the new improved GPX-5000 with 2 added Timings and some other fine tune adjustments.  No big depth differences for most folks, but the 2 timings did have their merit and some folks to this day prefer a 5000 over a 4500.  If I was looking at price differences today, I think the 4500 is a better deal at $2600 vs the $4000 price point we see for a GPX-5000 today.  Realize the 5000 was priced $5800 and stayed there for a few years with great sales.  I don’t recall Minelab stating any depth gains of the 5000 over the others, but I could be wrong?  I did find more gold though as the Fine Gold Timing was good for certain kinds of gold.  I would rate the GPX-5000 a 3 star.
      Minelab GPX-4800. Came out about the same time as the GPX-5000 while they tried to faze out the GPX-4500.  The 4800 in all fairness a relabeled 4500 in my opinion and it did not sell well, or last long.  Still a good reliable detector though and event today finding a used one at the right price is a good move from a  VLF.  This was in my opinion, Minelabs 1st flop of a gold detector introduction.  I rate it at a 1, but performance at a 3.
      All 4 models of GPX detectors use the same power cords, battery (although the 4500,4800 and 5000 battery have built in amp), same headphones and shafts.  Heck even the coils, shafts, headphones are all interchangeable with the SD and GP series as well, nice bonus for us all these years.  An interesting spin on the GPX gold detectors, is they are now the most desired detector of the serious Relic Hunters back East.  Those East Coast dealers are finally getting to make some money selling a multi thousand dollar unit that performs above all others at depth.
      SDC-2300. Introduced in 2014, I felt this was a good breakthrough for Minelab and the gold nugget hunting community.  Easily the coolest looking most compact gold detector Minelab has made to date, but heavy and awkward.  Well we learned to deal with it, as it’s simplicity and performance for the majority of gold (small gold) was a big win.  The 100% waterproof had a liking as well and I enjoyed a few nice water hunts with it on some black iron sand beaches with gold & diamond success.  No it’s not a deep PI on big gold and Minelab never claimed it was, but boy did and still do, many people have fun and gold finds.  I rate the simplicity/performance of the SDC-2300 a solid 5 star.
      GPZ-7000.  Early 2015, a Field Staff Expert and I took a prototype GPZ-7000 to Nevada to test the 40% more depth claims Minelab was touting.  Another easy to see benefit of the GPZ was the simplicity when compared to a GPX and we liked it as we also realized most customers felt the GPX detectors were not easy to understand with the 250K variables of timings/sub timings/options/settings.  The easier to set up and run 7000 was going to be easier to train and in fact we were worried it might be too easy and nobody would take the training.  That eventually went away, as we realized most people still did not have an understanding of proper coil control, a good beep form a bad one and difference from ground noise and a real target.  Did we find the 40% depth increase claim to be true?  Well no measuring sticks were used, but I know for a fact the 7000 sees a variety of gold deeper than any other previous bigger PI detector I or any of my Field Staff have ever used.  Our biggest complaint about the detector was the actual weight.  In fact my 1st prototype did not even have the swing arm, which is almost a must for most folks.  I rate the GPZ-7000 a solid 5 of 5 stars.  I will say this though.  Early on, I would have rated it a 4 as I had not spent enough time testing the settings and getting it dialed in like the settings I currently use.  Today, I feel the performance of the GPZ-7000 is easily a 5 star.
      GPX-6000. Introducing in late Spring or early Summer 2021 the most impressive of all GPX-6000.  The claims of XXX depth over a variety of gold is impressive to say the least.  The ergonomics and feel from my Staff that played with it seems to be a 5 star.  The User Friendly cleaned up turn on and go (somewhat like a GM-1000) operation rates a 5 star. Now we just need to get it in our hands and in the field for some actual real prospecting.  Then we can rate the stars on Performance vs what Minelab claims.
      Again, I know some folks will have differing opinions than what I have mentioned.  I also know their soils and detecting ground or overall detector knowledge will be different.  I realize a few people have higher expectations than some of us and or not as fast to sell their old to try the new, technologies.  But when I look back at my 25 yrs of using Minelab detectors, I find very little faults in their claims of depth increases.  I’ve also found each new gold detector actually was an improvement over the other (minus the 4800) in some way or another.  Do I justify each of us running out and purchasing the next new model?  Heck no, I don’t know your income level or how high on the fun scale you rate detecting and digging up gold.  But for me, I have found enough gold to pay for all my different Minelabs and I consider detecting to be my #1 passion.
      In my eyes, Minelab has been the most consistent metal sensing detector manufacture in the last 25 yrs and will probably continue to do so.  Each new unit they have come out with has produced more gold for my staff and I.  We all expect this new GPX-6000 to do just what we want.  That’s to find more gold, with a better ergonomically designed and user friendly detector.  Will we find a particular nugget that one of our other detectors may hit at stronger, or a little deeper, or in a certain EMI or soil condition?  Could happen, but I don’t worry about the rare anomaly occasion, I look at the overall variety of gold I pursue and chase.  I’ll go out on a limb and rate the GPX-6000 a ----  shooting star.
      Would love to hear your responses.
      The video is some of my guys and I putting a spin on one of Minelabs 5 Star rated gold detectors.

• By Aureous
      A recent post here got me thinking, how many detectors have I bought? In April this year, I will have been detecting for 40 years. In those 40 years Ive owned 39 detectors lol. Borrowed or hired another 12. Wondering if anyone can  beat this?
    • By Dances With Doves
      I used the Nox  95% of the time and the GMX the other 5%.The GMX was new so I gave it a few spins to try to find  where it likes to hunt. I hunted  about 40 hours in the water too but mostly in the turf  .