New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I hope there will be some other option than the ML headphones.  Otherwise I'll have to rely on the speaker next summer since it is way too hot to wear full headphones in the summer here.

I sent Minelab a suggest to make a belt clip wireless device that we could plug our own low latency headphones into.  I suspect that suggestion will probably go nowhere.

Im getting a headphone head ache!

I find it mentally exhausting to improve a audio product, that is not even released yet.

I have a feeling that the Minelab audio techs know what they are doing, and they will be great!

I plan on hunting gold and silver, not listening to Beethoven!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, PSPR said:

I hope there will be some other option than the ML headphones.  Otherwise I'll have to rely on the speaker next summer since it is way too hot to wear full headphones in the summer here.

I sent Minelab a suggest to make a belt clip wireless device that we could plug our own low latency headphones into.  I suspect that suggestion will probably go nowhere.

They don't need to make some clip on device, Bluetooth LE will be everywhere soon, there are lots of LE products hitting the market already.

These LE ear buds look nice

https://axsaudio.com/products/axs-audio-professional-earbuds

If they made device to plug your headphones into they wouldn't need to be low latency headphones as you're plugging them in, they could be anything, the little gadget they supply would be the one with the Bluetooth LE, but there is simply no need for this as Bluetooth LE will be everywhere soon, in all sorts of headphones, ear buds and speakers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

They don't need to make some clip on device, Bluetooth LE will be everywhere soon, there are lots of LE products hitting the market already.

These LE ear buds look nice

https://axsaudio.com/products/axs-audio-professional-earbuds

If they made device to plug your headphones into they wouldn't need to be low latency headphones as you're plugging them in, they could be anything, the little gadget they supply would be the one with the Bluetooth LE, but there is simply no need for this as Bluetooth LE will be everywhere soon, in all sorts of headphones, ear buds and speakers

I hope you are right, phrunt, on it being Bluetooth LE.  I thought the Minelab reps said it was proprietary, though.  Other than their Chief Engineer, some of the Minelab reps don't seem to have all the correct answers.

• Like 1

I wish the CTX3030 wireless module would just work on everything, GPZ, Equinox, Manticore, gpx6000. 

Robust, good audio, rarely drops out, and nice 1/4" socket. But they made a WM12 for GPZ, and a WM08 for the Equinox with a 1/8" socket, and none of them are compatible with the 6000. 

I have plenty of detectors. Would be nice if I could have one or two of my favourite headphones, and 1 wireless module that would pair to whatever detector I want to grab. 

• Like 7

The stupid thing is the wm08, wm10 and wm12 are all the same wireless tech, they purposefully configured them so they can't work on other detectors so we would need to buy them all. 

I'm glad they're ditching the things for standard Bluetooth LE audio, better, faster and more of a standard so we can use whatever we want from any manufacturer not tied into their proprietary expensive modules.

• Like 4

On 11/3/2022 at 4:46 AM, phrunt said:

Are you saying or implying that there will be an aftermarket 3rd party product made for the masses that works just like the WM08 on the Equinox?  I.e. you can then use your favorite old-tech headphones?  I sure hope that's the case as it will save one piece of hardware (e.g. Garrett Z-Lynk transmitter plugged into the Mantiore output jack) for those of us loyal to our current headphones.

• Like 1

Highly likely, it would just be a Bluetooth LE receiver, just like at the moment you can buy Bluetooth aptX transmitters and receivers.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Highly likely, it would just be a Bluetooth LE receiver, just like at the moment you can buy Bluetooth aptX transmitters and receivers.  

But I'm wondering if Minelab can introduce a proprietary component into the Bluetooth LE so you have to buy their headphones to work with it.

The solution, of course, would be to plug in a Bluetooth transmitter to the wired headphone jack on the detector and broadcast that to your own brand of headphones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

The stupid thing is the wm08, wm10 and wm12 are all the same wireless tech, they purposefully configured them so they can't work on other detectors so we would need to buy them all. 

I'm glad they're ditching the things for standard Bluetooth LE audio, better, faster and more of a standard so we can use whatever we want from any manufacturer not tied into their proprietary expensive modules.

I've noticed some people are real picky about what they wear around their ears as they are with their detectors...I agree that the wm modules are not great quality. In fact @klunker tried to throw my wm12 down the mountainside the first time I tried to use it around him. The wm modules like to blank out on me sometimes for what ever reasons. The bluetooth headphones for the 6000 are great.... the ones for the Nox not so much but they do work adequately. I guess I'm not as picky...I just need to hear the beep. 

strick 

• Like 4