What Great Finds?!

With all the great finds being made lately, I thought it was time to lower the bar for the rest of us. I mean, what are the great finds of metal detecting really, silver coins, gold jewelry, historical relics, or the Holy Grail of metal detecting, the Holy Grail? Sure, those things are nice, but what about the mundane, common, everyday metal detecting finds? Are they any less great than silver, gold, and ancient artifacts? Of course they are! But there is a hidden greatness in every find and you just have to look, sometimes really deep, for it.

Case and point. A few days ago when I looked out my back door to see what it looked like outside, I didn't see the dreary snow covered frozen tundra that is my back yard. I saw a small crack of sunlight trying to pry through the clouds and thought to myself, "Today's the day! Fortune and glory, kid, fortune and glory!"

IMG_1359.JPEG

So I grabbed my Deus 2 that has been on permanent charge for 2 weeks and headed out front to dig out my Jeep. As chipped through the ice to pry open the driver's door, I remembered my new over the ear headphones that I got for Christmas that were also still on the charger and ran back inside to grab them. 

Since it was a balmy 33° (F) outside, I decided to head over to a nearby park and hit the sledding hills with the detector for a few hours before the temps dropped below freezing again. Since I was short on time, I only scraped out a small hole to see out the front window and as I fishtailed up the hill to the park, I noticed a large white blob through the ice glazed side window which may have been a polar bear or it might have been a snowman, there was no time to check it out, I had to make it to the park.

When I arrived at the park I was surprized to see no one there except a heavily bundled up person walking their penguin off in the distance. I fired up the detector and slid halfway down the fist hill scanning the snow as I went. And then it happened, a banging 85 on the D2 about 5 inches down! 10 minutes later I had chipped through 4 inches of frozen snow and 1 inch of ice and out popped my first zincoln of the day! Woohoo, I'm on the board!

CCP-010623-1.JPEG

I killed the first hour on the south hill reaping all the great finds I could hit that were less than an inch under the perma-ice and then moved to the north hill to do the same. There were plenty of good targets reading deeper in the frozen ground, but it would have taken a jack hammer to get to them and that would probably draw unwanted attention from the local police who went sliding by from time to time.

I decided to keep the finds from the two hills separate to see where the most sledding action was happening. All in all I ended up with some great finds and some future great finds. I got $2.62 to put toward another coil, some spiffy sunglasses, a key (now I just have to find the lock it fits), a chrome lug nut that doesn't fit my Jeep, and I saved an endangered gorilla from icey oblivion. So all great stuff! And the future great finds are the 1972 and 1961 copper Memorial pennies, which in a short hundred years will be some great finds indeed!

IMG_1456.JPEG

CCP-123122.JPEG

6 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

With all the great finds being made lately, I thought it was time to lower the bar for the rest of us.

You got the right idea, just not lowering the bar enough. I live in Minnesota. 

🤣

I'm out of likes Cap'n, but you tell a hell of a tale. Brilliant and funny! Hat's off to you braving the elements to get that all important "trigger time". 🫡 And doing your part saving the Gorillas!

Sledding is another activity that provides one with "deposits". I don't think about it anymore due to moving to a warmer clime. 😀 Many memories of the dreaded "bloody snow" which indicates the best spots.

What is the pointy thing with all the wires? Think I'da called EOD for that one. 😁

Now that's just crazy, I know that I have not been able to get out there in quite some time, but I have not gone that bonkers yet.

Enjoyed the read and that is some good finds for this time of the year. I think you should go to the beach next because you never know who might of lost something while ice fishing.

Good luck and stay safe from one crazy guy to another.

Nice hunt. I like the gorilla. You gotta do whats you gotta do.

To cold for me. Northern Michigan.

OK , I just went outside. Only a couple of inches of white and ice and even a bare spot so I'm headed to it.....

The shovel just bounced a little bit  when I jumped on it.🙄 Probably wouldn't be so hard if there was more snow .

Maybe try a splitting maul next time🤔 

On 1/7/2023 at 5:54 PM, F350Platinum said:

🤣

I'm out of likes Cap'n, but you tell a hell of a tale. Brilliant and funny! Hat's off to you braving the elements to get that all important "trigger time". 🫡 And doing your part saving the Gorillas!

Sledding is another activity that provides one with "deposits". I don't think about it anymore due to moving to a warmer clime. 😀 Many memories of the dreaded "bloody snow" which indicates the best spots.

What is the pointy thing with all the wires? Think I'da called EOD for that one. 😁

Thanks, F350! That point thing is one of the markers they pound in the ground when they hold soccer classes in the parks. They are supposed to remove them when done, but I regularly find them. You'd think the could find them with the colorful plastic frizzies sticking up above the grass, but they must disappear when stepped on because I always find them a couple od inches down. 😏