For those Alaskans unaware, DNR has been trying to revise certain sections of the Alaska mining statutes.

Our Alaska legislature is no better than the DC circus! DNR said the hell with them (my words) and has switched gears

toward regulation change. I just received this notice.

"Dear Recipient,

The Department of Natural Resources proposes to change regulations on mining. The Department of Natural Resources proposes to adopt regulation changes in Title 11 of the Alaska Administrative Code, dealing with mining, including the following:

(1)        11 AAC 86.215 is proposed to be amended to address requirements for mining locations on state-owned land.

(2)        11 AAC 86.216 is proposed to be added to address overlapping and conflicting mining locations on state-owned lands.

(3)        11 AAC 86.220 is proposed to be amended to address annual labor, recording and amending affidavits of annual labor, essential facts required for affidavits of annual labor, and cash payments made instead of performing annual labor.

(4)        11 AAC 86.224 is proposed to be added to address penalties and eligibility to cure an abandonment of a claim or location under AS 38.05.265.

(5)        11 AAC 86.541 is proposed to be amended to address conditions for termination of a tide or submerged land mining lease and to address default cures in lease contracts.

(6)        11 AAC 86.590 is proposed to be added to provide definitions.

Attached please find copies of the proposed regulations, the public notice and the Dear Alaskan Letter which goes into more detail regarding the Department’s proposed actions.

You may comment on the proposed regulation changes, including the potential costs to private persons of complying with the proposed changes, by submitting written comments to the Department of Natural Resources, 550 W. 7th Avenue, Suite 1070, Anchorage, AK 99501-3579 or by e-mail to dnr.mining.regulation@alaska.gov or by fax to 907-269-8904. The comments must be received by the department no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 4, 2018

You may submit written questions relevant to the proposed action to: Joseph Joyner, Department of Natural Resources, 550 W 7th Ave., Suite 1070, Anchorage, Alaska 99501-3579

Fax: (907) 269-8904, E-Mail: dnr.mining.regulation@alaska.gov. The questions must be received at least 10 days before the end of the public comment period. The Department of Natural Resources will aggregate its response to substantially similar questions and make the questions and responses available on the Alaska Online Public Notice System https://aws.state.ak.us/OnlinePublicNotices/Login.aspx and agency website at http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/hottopics.

For more information, a copy of the proposed regulation changes, or if you have any questions regarding the proposed regulations, go to http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/hottopics, or write to the Department of Natural Resources, Attention Joseph Joyner, 550 W. 7th Avenue, Suite 1070, Anchorage, Alaska 99501-3579; or call 907-269-8511.

After the public comment period ends, the Department of Natural Resources will either adopt these or other provisions dealing with the same subject, without further notice, or decide to take no action on them.  The language of the final regulations may be different from that of the proposed regulations.  You should comment during the time allowed if your interests could be affected.

Sincerely

Joseph Joyner, Chief, Program Support Section, DMLW, DNR"

• Like 1

THANKS DICK!!  Glad you shared this with us.. hadn't heard anything about it.  I'm sure AMA is all over it tho..

See ya at Chickenstock!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By greenguy79
      Hey guys!!
      So I'm wondering if anyone knows the Oregon law or can point me to a link (I've exhausted google on this) if I can use a recirculating sluice powered by a 12v battery back at camp and bring dirt up from the river to work.  I've put in phone calls down to Salem numerous times and have never received a call back.  I think after reading the 700 permit rules I would need this permit if I was discharging tailings back into the river but I'm unclear if I bring the dirt up if that's still a no-no.  Oregon mining laws in general are pretty frustrating to try and navigate.
      I really appreciate any information about this subject somebody might be able to point me to.
      Thanks a bunch!
      ~green
    • By Norm S
      I am headed to Alaska next month with both of my equinox detectors. I am flying into Fairbanks and want to do some detecting and panning. The last time there we did some panning and believe it or not we panned . 26 ounces of gold. Not in one day of course but in several creeks North of Denali. 
      This time we plan on panning, detecting and fishing. I am also driving the Dalton Highway to the end of the road if possible. A bucket list Item.
      I have driven coast to coast to the farthest point in NE Maine to the coast of CA and I been to the end of the road in Key West. Now I want to drive to the farthest point north in Alaska. 
      Are there any good gold panning spots along the Dalton highway  or any suggestions where to pan or metal detect in  the Fairbanks area
    • By mn90403
      We should have known earlier.  According to Clay at My Land Matters:
      Mining is exempt from lockdown Did you know mining activities have been declared an essential industry? Mining is on the US Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency's ‘Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce’ list.
    • By alaskaseeker
      There is photos of two stampeder sites, very hard to spot now but the little outhouse pits are important to finding them. They cut trees to make their huts and thats one of the things i look for 100 yr old stumps....Everything has reverted back to pretty much of a natural state

• By alaskaseeker
      Last sunday took a great ATV trip to a lake about 26 miles from our town, the 98 stampeders took this route from Valdez to the Klondike. There are many campsites along this trail so before the leaves come out and hide the sites i tagged along with this group to check on some new locations. Rough trail, nice lunch and had a fun time...Should have had an IPhone many years ago.  

• By mn90403
      Here is a report from Pogo, Alaska.  Maybe Steve can tell us about it.
      I don't think we'll be headed there with our metal detectors but I find some of the numbers in the report interesting.  There is a poured bar there where it is stated that it is the 4 millionth ounce of gold from that mine.  These things just begin to boggle my brain and I go back to thinking about those 'olympic swimming pools' of gold that say how rare gold is.  There just has to be more gold and now that the price is up it will be pouring out of the ground even more because some costs are way down (fuel) and the price is up so get that stuff to market miners!
      https://www.miningnewsnorth.com/story/2020/05/01/news-nuggets/covid-19-protocols-limit-pogo-gold-output/6267.html
      The writer of this story and the publication are worth a read while some of us are still locked down.
      Mitchel