Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

At Pro Owners May Want One Of These

Cool I started to design one that was a bar of acrylic that would fit on the edge of the display but got sidetracked. I was hoping to make it low profile, sticks on with an elastic strap and would be water proof but then I got sidetracked with silly work stuff.

Annotation 2019-03-21 222448.jpg

• Like 2

Nice gear. Usually, I don't metal detecting in the dark, but sometimes the screen backlight is very necessary.

Thanks for the link!

On 3/22/2019 at 4:26 AM, kac said:

Cool I started to design one that was a bar of acrylic that would fit on the edge of the display but got sidetracked. I was hoping to make it low profile, sticks on with an elastic strap and would be water proof but then I got sidetracked with silly work stuff.

Annotation 2019-03-21 222448.jpg

That may be very cool solution. Don't stop doing that! It can be very good alternative to the device in first post.

I started to dig through my parts and pieces. I have the plexi but short on an led and battery clip. Have to see what kind of rechargeable batteries around that are small enough that I can use. If possible I'll make it waterproof. Just bee occupied with slew of other projects.

Quickie update, looking through parts I have/can make I started to work this out and rather than use an acrylic bar I thought it would be better to encapsulate the diodes in a frosty white silicone rubber which can act as a pad against the display. This should be much safer on the face of the display and not scratch it. Will have to work out making it water proof later on once I test the silicone and see if it transmits enough light to work. I think if this works out ok, I might be able to make it compatible with the Ace series and maybe other VDI machines that don't have a backlight.

AT Pro display light.jpg

Quick update. Between work and digging I started to prototype the light bar. Printed the part out, put in a couple led's I had and filled it with a platinum cure silicone which the first attempt didn't cure correct as the part was too green (freshly printed) and contaminated the silicone so it didn't cure. I re-did the fill and it seems to be hardening up. Once cured I'll solder up some leads and see if it actually lights up the display. Ends have a couple of t type hooks so i can just rubber band it on the unit. All goes well I'll refine it to something prettier.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

• Like 1

Back to the drawing table on this, the led's I chose don't have enough of an angle to light the area and light diminishes too much along the bar only covering about a 1/2". Need to snag some from a light switch but really don't need 16 ft of them either.

Did some poking around and found a nice led back light that only uses 3v and tested well with 2  aaa batteries. With that in mind I made a housing to hold it above the detector and angled so it lights the buttons as well. I am thinking velcro would be fine to hold it in place. Still tweaking and adjusting the parts so they can either be 3d printed or I may make a small rubber mold and bust out a few copies in urethane. It won't be water proof as I originally wanted but not that worried as who wants to dig in the mud in the middle of the night... not like the pull tabs are going any wheres right?

AT Pro light wire.jpg

AT Pro light.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't like the battery box I had so I got around to snagging a small 2xAAA box with swtich and leads already done which of course changed everything else as the dorks put the battery door on the opposite side of the switch. Anyways I printed a part out on my sla printer so the plastic is a bit fragile but gives me a working model. All soldered up it works nice, it's compact and easily detaches since it just velcro's on the top. That little backlight panel works good.

Anyone wants the cad file to fiddle with some more or have some printed on a more applicable printer like fdm or sls just pm me and I'll zip it up. I can also supply the stl.

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

• Like 2