Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

At Pro Owners May Want One Of These

Cool I started to design one that was a bar of acrylic that would fit on the edge of the display but got sidetracked. I was hoping to make it low profile, sticks on with an elastic strap and would be water proof but then I got sidetracked with silly work stuff.

Annotation 2019-03-21 222448.jpg

• Like 2

Nice gear. Usually, I don't metal detecting in the dark, but sometimes the screen backlight is very necessary.

Thanks for the link!

On 3/22/2019 at 4:26 AM, kac said:

Cool I started to design one that was a bar of acrylic that would fit on the edge of the display but got sidetracked. I was hoping to make it low profile, sticks on with an elastic strap and would be water proof but then I got sidetracked with silly work stuff.

Annotation 2019-03-21 222448.jpg

That may be very cool solution. Don't stop doing that! It can be very good alternative to the device in first post.

I started to dig through my parts and pieces. I have the plexi but short on an led and battery clip. Have to see what kind of rechargeable batteries around that are small enough that I can use. If possible I'll make it waterproof. Just bee occupied with slew of other projects.

Quickie update, looking through parts I have/can make I started to work this out and rather than use an acrylic bar I thought it would be better to encapsulate the diodes in a frosty white silicone rubber which can act as a pad against the display. This should be much safer on the face of the display and not scratch it. Will have to work out making it water proof later on once I test the silicone and see if it transmits enough light to work. I think if this works out ok, I might be able to make it compatible with the Ace series and maybe other VDI machines that don't have a backlight.

AT Pro display light.jpg

Quick update. Between work and digging I started to prototype the light bar. Printed the part out, put in a couple led's I had and filled it with a platinum cure silicone which the first attempt didn't cure correct as the part was too green (freshly printed) and contaminated the silicone so it didn't cure. I re-did the fill and it seems to be hardening up. Once cured I'll solder up some leads and see if it actually lights up the display. Ends have a couple of t type hooks so i can just rubber band it on the unit. All goes well I'll refine it to something prettier.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

• Like 1

Back to the drawing table on this, the led's I chose don't have enough of an angle to light the area and light diminishes too much along the bar only covering about a 1/2". Need to snag some from a light switch but really don't need 16 ft of them either.

Did some poking around and found a nice led back light that only uses 3v and tested well with 2  aaa batteries. With that in mind I made a housing to hold it above the detector and angled so it lights the buttons as well. I am thinking velcro would be fine to hold it in place. Still tweaking and adjusting the parts so they can either be 3d printed or I may make a small rubber mold and bust out a few copies in urethane. It won't be water proof as I originally wanted but not that worried as who wants to dig in the mud in the middle of the night... not like the pull tabs are going any wheres right?

AT Pro light wire.jpg

AT Pro light.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't like the battery box I had so I got around to snagging a small 2xAAA box with swtich and leads already done which of course changed everything else as the dorks put the battery door on the opposite side of the switch. Anyways I printed a part out on my sla printer so the plastic is a bit fragile but gives me a working model. All soldered up it works nice, it's compact and easily detaches since it just velcro's on the top. That little backlight panel works good.

Anyone wants the cad file to fiddle with some more or have some printed on a more applicable printer like fdm or sls just pm me and I'll zip it up. I can also supply the stl.

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Joe D.
      Hello all,
            A little primer first; as some of you may know, my Equinox is in "the shop", due to previously posted issues!  No worries; using the old trusty At Pro!   
           So between Covid, and the horrendous heat wave we are experiencing, i haven't been out much to detect!  But many of you have been out, and posting!  So i just had to suck it up, and get my butt out in it!! Summers here used to be a nice balmy Easterly breeze most every day! The last several years have been unusually hot and humid, with little to no breeze, and record temps! Dangerous conditions, if you don't hydrate well! 
          So, i decided to hit a few local parks, that I've hunted previously, a year or two ago! And stick to the "shaded" areas to make it bearable!  Yesterday i had the 5x8 stock coil on, and did about 3 hours, before it became unbearable! I was soaked, but did well enough for what i expected to find!
      Today was much the same, in a different park! With the 8x11 stock coil! This park has very large tree's, so the added depth helps here, due to very rich soil! 
         My results; as you will see below; are fairly typical of my park area's!   Oldest coin was a 1955 D nickel!  Along with a few early 60's; and up to present day coins!  Not exactly ideal finds, but goes with the age of the area's that are accessible here! And it keeps my skills up! I included some of the junk items in my  "paper towel" displays for future reference! 
         I'm looking forward (probably 6ish weeks) to getting the Equinox back, and get back to the beaches! 👍👍

• By PPP
      HI Guys!
      I know it's comparison apples with oranges but was curious about depth in mild ground between these two machines.I know in mineralized ground ATX is deeper than Equinox,thats for sure.I'm going to hunt a lake with no mineralized ground and in this condition I will know which detector is deeper.Any tips???
    • By CmonNow
      Four inches under the surface, three feet from a paved walking/biking trail and four feet from the base of some support cables for a power pole, not far from one of the main entrances to the county fairgrounds in town.  The fairgrounds have been used for that purpose since at least 1895 according to historic maps, and maybe longer based on this coin.
      It's pretty well worn, with a lot of the detail gone.  But, I knew I had a lifetime event on my hands as soon as it popped loose from the dirt.  I saw the edge and a little bit of one side, saw the shine, and knew it was silver.  I about soiled myself and passed out.  Not only because of the silver, but partly because it was 91 degrees F, humid, no breeze, the sun was pounding me like a professional boxer, and sweat was dripping off my nose.
      Yes, I scratched it, right next to the date.  Somehow I always knew I would scratch my first silver, and I came to accept that in a dream some time back.  But that's okay, it makes it mine.  And it wouldn't have been for sale at any price, so it doesn't matter.  Well, if it was mint condition and worth $3000, maybe I would have thought about selling it for a minute or two, but I really don't think so.
      Found 11 other coins today, all clad and pennies, along with a copper token from Grand Slam Sports, which is a laser tag and "family entertainment" place in Burnsville, Minnesota, about 45 minutes from here.  The token rang up like an old penny or a dime.  I didn't scratch the damn token.  Oh no, of course not, not the token, that looks as good as the day it was struck.  😭
      I have probably 20 hours into hunting this fairgrounds and I've found about 40 coins, but this one is the king (queen?).  Just by chance, the head groundskeeper came by right after I found it, was pretty interested, took a picture of the coin, and told me that other people detect here from time to time, and drove off on his golf cart.  Bad news about other people detecting there (which I suspected because of what I was finding and not finding), but they missed this one, the dumbasses.  🙂
      I bought an AT Max to give some variety from using my Equinox.  I found this with the AT Max.  It rang up at 87-90 in the ground and 89-90 on the surface.  I wish I had found it with the Equinox because it really has a hold on my heart more than the AT Max does, but I made the decision to use the Garrett today, and now I have to live with it.  I think I'll be okay.
      My life felt complete for about 15 minutes afterward and I was walking on air, but then I realized that that fairgrounds is old, and even though other sad schlubs have been detecting there, there is still more old silver to be found, there has to be.  I've only covered about five percent of the total ground available there, and I will keep at it.  I have no choice now.

• By Tometusns
      Is the connector for the headphones the same on a max as the at pro. Thanks!
    • By calabash digger
      Here it is the long awaited I D test....