Some Great Historical Photos

25 minutes ago, fredmason said:

I am fairly sure this will be deleted....but what government? Why list those groups?

most mining districts in the western USA were run by miners. Canada and Australia ran things different....

anyway....the group that chased away , robbed and stole was not mentioned.

with respect

fred

In the United States brother..... Specially around Arizona and California....... People got tired of miners ..... 

25 minutes ago, fredmason said:

I am fairly sure this will be deleted....but what government? Why list those groups?

most mining districts in the western USA were run by miners. Canada and Australia ran things different....

anyway....the group that chased away , robbed and stole was not mentioned.

with respect

fred

Those are the nationalities listed in the Arizona deportation reports, I did my homework do yours ..... I have been studying and reading of what calamities happened during the mining years from BC, US, and other parts in the world...... Miners were a rough and tough crowd....... Read about Jacob Waltz in Arizona (The Lost Dutchman), he took a mining claim in The Mc Dowell Reserve Arizona from a couple of the Peralta family boys and worked it himself ...... When they showed up to check on the Peralta boys that were missing ...... They were found shot dead and hanging in their mine ......

Read this history article: http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/bisbee/history/overview.html

23 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Oh no not the Lost Dutchman - yet again...

(kidding)

Most saw him as a hero and mysterious, but didn't know his real background and how he killed and moved and really never worked any mines, he's known to be involved in 9 to 11 murders (That's why he hid in the Superstition Mountains) the state of Arizona Sheriff's and Marshall's investigations found these details after his death ..... He was just a scoundrel and constantly running from the law and on the move the entire time .......

These are amazing photos Manny but unfortunately there are actually copyright issues involved with just grabbing stuff wherever you are finding it and posting it on the forum. Not to mention this is a thread about prospecting picks. If you find a great picture archive that's great - link to it. But unless you are vetting this stuff properly I don't know how comfortable I am feeling about leaving it for the long term. I'll think it over. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

These are amazing photos Manny but unfortunately there are actually copyright issues involved with just grabbing stuff wherever you are finding it and posting it on the forum. Not to mention this is a thread about prospecting picks. If you find a great picture archive that's great - link to it. But unless you are vetting this stuff properly I don't know how comfortable I am feeling about leaving it for the long term. I'll think it over. Thanks.

I double checked and they are all historical open sources for non commercial use not Copyrighted.

I used to live on property that was an old mining camp near Angel’s Camp where each of the relict miners’ cabins left on the property was built on top or in front of their shaft or adit as to protect it.  They also wired in alarm cables from their doors to the back of their mines to pull and ring bells, and some even had hidden rooms built off the side of the adits with doors that were cemented to look like the rock side walls.  Those guys were obviously afraid of getting robbed or even murdered while they worked in their mines.  For good reason too, there was a historic site nearby where seven miners were robbed and shot for their findings.  Those were dangerous times and led to the well known nickname of “Hangtown” for nearby Placerville, California.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Steve, copyright duration in the US is 95 years from first publication, so he’s probably OK with those.  It would be good if posts cited their sources for the interested ones here though.  Amazing photos, they are a valuable historic account of mining!

Just being cautious. Some stuff in some collections online you never know and many photos have no actual date you can see. I make use of lots of manufacturer content that is in theory copyrighted material, but I have always assumed they do not mind the free advertising and promotion gained by that use and I have never had complaint. But in theory they could protest my grabbing detector photos from their websites, for instance. I don't worry overly much about such things when I do it but have to keep an eye out with others, due diligence and all that.

This link can occupy a couple hours Change the setting in upper right once you get there to 100 or 200 to avoid too many pages.

9 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just being cautious. Some stuff in some collections online you never know and many photos have no actual date you can see. I make use of lots of manufacturer content that is in theory copyrighted material, but I have always assumed they do not mind the free advertising and promotion gained by that use and I have never had complaint. But in theory they could protect my grabbing detector photos from their websites, for instance. I don't worry overly much about such things when I do it but have to keep an eye out, due diligence and all that.

This link can occupy a couple hours

Totally understand being careful. Also respectful of others copyright property, good for you!  Wow, those photos are great, I need to put aside some time for to study those. Thanks for the link!