Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

My Thursday X-coil Iffy

mn90403

Hey, JW you are one of the few that openly show us your finds, be a shame for DP to lose that openness.

• Like 4

Not only do I enjoy seeing the perseverance involved in detecting and then recovering those bits that hide in bedrock crevices, but the scenery is spectacular to say the least. It is a totally different ball game to detecting here in Australia.

You tell it how it is, and if you swear by X coils, then that is part of the story. Don't be intimidated, just keep doing what you do well.

• Like 5

Staying mostly on the sidelines, I have to say I learned a lot from this thread regarding technical details and experiences and I am looking forward to future discussions on this topic. Having close to no experience with the X-coils, I am intrigued by the potential these coils seem to present in situations favorable for their design. I very much enjoy all the experts in the field and consider an optional X-coil purchase myself. That being said, I also very much appreciate JP's expertise and his advise regarding the in's and out of the ML machines and all his technical expertise. It is rare to find someone with his skills and experience, just as it is a pleasure to learn from all you other guys who truly champion the passion we share. I try to learn every day to improve my performance in the field and your posts are a vital component for my learning, just as I am sure it is for many others on this forum. Let's continue to share our passion for gold hunting and learn from each other, regardless of your preferences fro equipment. 

• Like 6

JW...... I would like ... if you were to continue to contribute to the X-coil thread ... with your rich gold prospecting experience ..., I know that you try to use the detection equipment of what works best for you ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

......add the 10 that I found with the Zed & a certain little 10 inch Russian made white coil

The correct term is “Unmentionables”?  It‘s like a Claytons drink, the word you use when you don’t want to use the word, or going around a round-about the wrong way!.?

I am now sure of two things -

1.) The flogged patches here are much more flogged than overseas patches which people post great results from.

2.) Even getting up to 3" or so extra depth from a new coil still isn't enough to rejuvinate most old, flogged patches here in the US.

Mitchel saw me at my land and drove in to introduce himself a few days ago. I tried explaining how to find a few old flogged patches (ones which hadn't seen an X Coil yet), not sure if he ever made it as it's kinda hard without drawing a map. Hopefully he had better luck than I've had, but almost without exception I max out at 1 or 2 missed dinks per patch, max. 

Many of these patches have seen 30 or 40 GPZs and 5 decades of every detector and coil type on the planet. I just can't help but feel these aren't the types of flogged patches that overseas people are posting 10 new missed nuggets a day from by putting a new coil on.

• Like 3