A Great Day But Cold

34 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Maybe someone burned a pile of old furniture there , , if you find a lot of nails too the furniture was in a house or barn...LOL

The rectanglular real hole could have been made with a square nail ?

Excellent thoughts! If I was to wear my tinfoil hat, my speculation would be that a long time ago (all these nails and tacks are OLD) someone sold the farmers a bill of goods that scattering the tacks and nails would leach iron into the soil. Only two houses have been demolished, nowhere near where I find the nails and tacks. They are everywhere, sometimes in 'bands' across the farm.

I know where all the buckshot and bullets come from, they outlawed rifle/pistol a while back here but before that all bets were off. I've found .30, .40, and. 45 bullets. Lots of deer every day and night. I find .22 shells and bullets on the edges of the field where they hunt rabbits. I've found a live round or two! Also shotgun shells and a few percussion caps.

In bands huh ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Almost like they ran out of ammo and loaded a cannon with whatever they thought would be effective ? Maybe Jed Clampett loading his shotgun shells for those rabbits for the same reason?

I knowwwwww , I "ain't right" ,,,but sometimes I yam  

7 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

In bands huh ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Almost like they ran out of ammo and loaded a cannon with whatever they thought would be effective ? Maybe Jed Clampett loading his shotgun shells for those rabbits for the same reason?

I knowwwwww , I "ain't right" ,,,but sometimes I yam  

4 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

If you find a pile of them you might have just discovered where a field medic was working..... ouch !

I like your imaginative thoughts, RV.  But based on the research done on the area, pretty sure this is not a site with much if any military action other than some sporadic war of 1812 raids and some civil war picket posts perhaps (but no major or minor CW battle engagement sites), so no cannons were fired and no field hospitals existed.  It is farmland with a lot of colonial history and relics and an area of 19th century trade and commerce by boat - rich in history, just not necessarily military history.  The projectiles are mostly from modern hunting weapons.  Still a lot for for 350 to explore and he has recovered a lot even though he has just scratched the surface.  It is exciting from the perspective that it looks like it has not been pounded by detectorists and he is has a lot of ground to cover without competition.  Kind of a dream situation.  I got the chance to detect with F350 and it was great fun.  Can't wait to meet up again, beautiful area and I am sure there are more old silver and other treasures to be recovered.