A Very Rare Bird

I have found a couple of spot that they frequent and got more than a dozen sunbakers at each location. I was unlucky, as hard as I tried could not see any Plumas Kwail that alone catch one or a pair to breed but will try next April if it the first thing I will do.

Thank klunk.  Er ... should I say thanks for what ... those dang birds haven't been in Southern California in many, many years.  I think I'm going to look for them one day up in your area but I don't know when.

I'm sure Paul will be up there looking for the nests soon.

Come ahead on up. But beware of the Sierra Croc! Now there's a nugget digging son of a gun, but you'll have to wait about another year for my report about them.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:52 PM, mn90403 said:

I think I'm going to look for them one day up in your area

I hear if you eat one you'll find more gold. I wonder what they taste like? 

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

I hear if you eat one you'll find more gold. I wonder what they taste like? 

14 minutes ago, klunker said:

I wonder what they taste like?

Not unlike a California Condor but not as greasy

I was always of the option that they taste like a cross between the California Condor and the Spotted Owl!

Here in Oz they taste like Mutton Bird, very fatty.

"Adult short-tailed shearwaters, or 'mutton birds', fly halfway around the globe to hatch and raise a single chick each year in colonies across southern Australia, returning to the same sandy burrow every spring."

So kinda like a  cross between an old sheep and an american ground hog!!! I'm in, so somebody better start the fire. Oh and bring plenty of paper towels and beverages of choice.

Location, location, location! and the date is very important breeding pairs can only be found on April 1st!

Norm