Memorial Weekend Contest, Win A Minelab GPX 6000 Dream

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My metal detector picture today includes a flag for a number of reasons.  I'm proud of my country and my family.

My mother was a Navy nurse in WWII and she met my dad who was a Navy pilot after the Battle of Midway.  She had a brother who was shot down on Jolo Island in the Philippines near the end of the war.   My step-dad was a Navy Seabee who landed on D-day and also saw action in the Pacific.  My Aunt was in the Army in Algiers.  My brother was a navigator for a Navy vessel in the 70s.

Some of my uncle's air training as a radar operator in his P-61 Black Widow was in California and Arizona at temporary bases.  I have some letters of his he wrote to my mom and there is a good chance that some of the areas where I find gold and WWII 35 and 50 cal shells were from his planes.  I look up and wonder if he had looked down where I'm searching.

Thank you Gerry for reminding me that I need to honor their service and legacy more often.

Mitchel

IMG_20210530_212544_995.thumb.jpg.c3767f3b38c4b862f4aedbef289318f8.jpg

Here's the scoop. Scuff cover done. We're done. As always, great to be out!

20210531_084230.jpg

Memorial Day!  Coming from a long history of Family Military Service, I learned early that it’s for the Veterans that never returned Home.  My Grandpa, corrected me at a young age...”It’s not Happy Memorial Day, but it’s a Good Day”.  His words rang true, as I visited many American War Fallen Cemeteries in European Countries during my tours of duty.  Now that I’m a US Air Force Retiree, the old Military saying of “We All Gave, But Some Gave More”, rings loud and clear on this Good Memorial Day.  

Now, I live in the “Battle Born State” unofficially the “Silver State” or “Sage Brush State”. Well living in the 7th largest land mass State, you have to have a modern Mule to battle the Sage Brush to find the hidden treasures of the Silver State.  My Kolpin ATV Gun Racks carry my Detectors and yes, the clean ones next to the roof are brand new.

My Buggy is Ruff & Ready!  If you see it in your Prospecting adventures, swing by.  I may need some company on a hot patch and always have a pointy finger to other nearby locations!

Good Memorial Day,

LuckyLundy

ADFAC8AD-F7FC-47DE-A894-6431E79D8837.jpeg

Thanks Gerry for this fine contest for a Gold Monster 1000 and especially for honoring those who are serving and those who have served for our military. A big shout out to my son, Scott serving on the Pasadena!!!!!

It’s been raining constantly since Friday evening so even though my Equinox would have been fine getting wet, I am old enough to know when to give it up and get dried out.

I did manage a short hunt on Sunday and came back with a couple of quality rings......sorry, no nuggets or flakes (the gold bearing creeks and rivers in the Denver area are really running fast and heavy so too dangerous). The Equinox got over a really nice .925 silver and Smoky Quartz beauty and a Navajo (Scott Skeeter) 14K gold and .925 silver band.  

Thanks,

Jeff McClendon

4B2E92F0-4157-4575-9736-28BD9F11F078.jpeg

A1E2A4D7-9EBB-442B-9721-CDD152DA1662.jpeg

On 5/30/2021 at 5:39 AM, Northeast said:

I assume Memorial Day is very similar to our ANZAC Day and is a time for thanks and reflection of those that have served their country to keep us safe and free.

In the strict sense, Memorial Day is for remembering and honoring those who died in military service of the USA.  It goes back to right after the USA Civil War.  But it is customary to also honor those who have served but haven't given their lives in that pursuit.  We also have a holiday on 11 November (Veterans Day) for honoring all who have served in the military.  That one unfortantely isn't quite as celebrated.  The following photo picked off of the internet emphasizes the distinction:

All-Gave-Some.thumb.jpg.6bba67e9490c9384ec17ac8c461aed99.jpg

(Gerry, not an entry, just for informational purposes.)

Thank You to all Veterans Who served our Country & gave us our freedom to enjoy doing what we Love!  Saturday's Nugget find near Randsburg, Yahoo!

DSCF4543.JPG

DSCF4062.JPG