Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Emi, The GPX 6000.... Your Thoughts?

oneguy

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

One thing I do know is the WINDIER and DRIER the conditions, the worse the EMI is.

We used to notice that a lot with the SDC in particular. Windy conditions used to cause us no end of frustration some days. Being dry is just a usual Aussie summer & sometimes winter condition (depending on north/south location).

I've read a theory on it somewhere that sounded plausible. Electrostatic discharge which can occur due to rapid movement of air near electronic equipment. I'm assuming that this could also occur with coil movement on still days too but just not as likely or prominent?

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

have my doubts it is EMI at all, as even in remotest Alaska the machine will act up,

I wonder if the new Starlink system could be causing a new form of EMI in remote areas. It is space based for the internet and would cover most areas now.

Since I don't know for sure I thought I would ask.

The speaker is the pits, it generates its own EMI or the speaker being in close proximity to the very sensitive electronics housed in the plastic housing does anyway. Also if you have a touchy coil lead especially on the 11” monos wobbling the control box too much will cause EMI like noises, to ascertain this just hold the detector dead still and listen, no noise when held stationary most likely equals coil lead wobble noise.

Lastly if you do more than say 6 to 10 Noise Cancels in a session then I highly recommend performing a full factory reset of the detector by turning off then turning on again but this time continue holding the ON button in for 7 seconds. In fact it’s a good idea to periodically perform a full reset regardless to give Geo-Sense a fresh start. Turning off then on again will retain a lot of dross accumulated over many sessions, a full factory reset will clear the logs and get things purring again. 

Hope this helps

JP

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Oneguy - If you like the detector and can’t try any of the solutions of using someone else’s gear, don’t forget you have a 3 year warranty.  Maybe send it in for a diagnostic check. ?‍♂️

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

In the attached video is an example of the tracking being thrown out by the pick

I try to keep all metal away from the coil at all times, even when not detecting. When I dig a hole I always place the coil as far away from the hole as possible. There definitely is a drift in GB that gets exacerbated each time the pick, or any metal, comes to close to the coil. The same is true for any metal in boots, although the effect is more subtle. Factory reset is definitely helpful and I do it at least 2-3 x during the day. The quick track only optimizes around a local minimum, but if drifted to far off due to constant vicinity of metal a factory reset is needed. That's where the semi-auto GB of the 7000 with fixed X comes in handy. Regarding EMI, I don't find the speaker to be that unusable. Yes, it does add a bit but given how strong the signal response generally is I can live with the little bit added, most of the times. Having used the SDC for years my ears are already accustomed to the chitter and I can hear through it. Now, if I want to go deeper then for sure I always use the headset. But thus far, I use the 6000 mostly for shallow ground applications, say 1-6 inch depth. And there, the machine screams at you regardless of EMI or not. When I know the gold is deep most of the times then I always use the 7000. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've heard it enough now from several folks about doing a factory re-set.  Have never done a re-set and I'll definitely try that next hunt and if needed, I'll have my headphones along also depending how the 6 reacts with the re-set.

Thanks a bunch everyone and I'll keep you all posted on my results next week........!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, oneguy said:

I've heard it enough now from several folks about doing a factory re-set.  Have never done a re-set and I'll definitely try that next hunt and if needed, I'll have my headphones along also depending how the 6 reacts with the re-set.

Thanks a bunch everyone and I'll keep you all posted on my results next week........!!!!!!

When you do a factory reset you have to re-pair your BT headset. Just takes a few sec. but something to remember. 

GC

In regards to pluging in any coil, you have to do that about 3 times.  Plug it in, screw on, push it in again, screw on further, third time its all the way pluged in tighten up.  I have had to do this with all my coils.  Might be an EMI source if not fully plugged in ?‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2