Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

stricks very useful 11" coil X-ray, the coil cable doesn't look wrapped in foil to me, would the X-ray not pick up the foil as a solid mass and not show the wires inside it if it was foil or braided?

Depends a lot upon the shielding material used (aluminum is more transparent than copper) and the energy of the X-rays (higher energy being less absorbed, in general).  @strick has done X-ray imaging of other coils.  Do their cables show shielding?  I think braid is plated/coated copper (or sometimes just raw Cu with no surface treatement), but far from sure.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, GB_Amateur said:

@strick has done X-ray imaging of other coils.  Do their cables show shielding? 

The braided ones certainly show, and some just show a solid mass.

A couple of what looks to be a solid mass examples

265627460_soldimass2.jpg.139c10dd8bedce231b306700568f7c4b.jpg1311425437_solidmass.jpg.851bc15fc1b59308ac24988f9fd29ef4.jpg

and Braided examples

66520563_braided2.jpeg.973a710ed45dd096e46769e96094cdf8.jpeg

braided.thumb.jpeg.b26f2c68d1c49c65472380296ed97621.jpeg

The cable you showed from the component looks possibly braided to me when zoomed in.

1179973018_braided3.thumb.png.b4cc0141b4e1977ddab54fdf313f2b85.png

• Like 2

Most EMI is picked up by the coil. The coil receives EMI similar to the antenna of an AM radio.  The larger the coil surface the more EMI is detected. Proper EMI shielding of the coil is the most critical factor.

For a low impedance mono coil the approximate three foot of lead can be a twisted pair of unshielded wires and be very effective in canceling EMI. It does this by the EMI on each wire being balanced and of opposite voltages being introduced by the twisted wires receiving equal and opposing EMI signals.

With a Double D coil the low impedance transmit wires are often a unshielded twisted pair. The higher impedance sensitive receive coil is normally connected by a small diameter shielded cable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was hoping you would chime in Chet, thanks!

We always used shielded Cat6, what's the point using the cheaper twisted version when the price is so close to the same for the much better quality shielded cables.  Even in a home situation there are many appliances and power cables running through the house to interfere, and fluro lights are killers for Ethernet cables.

Shielding helps protect the data from any sort of electromagnetic interference from an outside source. This could alter or weaken the signal traveling through the copper in the cable. The shields of the two connectors in our shielded Cat 6 cables are electrically tied together via the drain wire.

cat6-shield-drain-wire.jpg.31abfeb4fad6cb4349071249b8f83c11.jpg

I never understand any place that tries to save a few cents by going cheap on things that are so cheap and easy to use an improved version.

• Like 3

New toy arrived! It arrived too late in the day to test it out.

IMG_0108.jpg.4a7ea11fdc905b3b8ec3859db481460e.jpg

The water hunters will be pleased to see it has a nice solid base under the skid plate so it won't fill with water.

IMG_0109.jpg.0c4d3d0aba7c63fbe402bc486654038b.jpg

Will give it a spin tomorrow and see how it goes on some test targets, then should be able to go for a gold hunt Friday, got too much to do tomorrow for that.  Feels solid as a rock, really nice tough build quality.    People won't need to put protective stickers on these coils that's for sure, such a different plastic.

• Like 3

The radiographs are slightly under exposed in the first two you show Simon the plastic details well but under exposing the metal showing less detail thus the solid looking mass... the ones I took are slightly over exposed showing better detail of the wiring...and less of the plastic...adjusting the power and the time on the generator  you can manipulate the picture to show softer structures or more dense structures accordingly.  I was hoping coiltek would chime in on how their coils are built. They certainly look good from the outside lol

strick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response Trevor...the other guy uses core cell in their coils its good stuff but expensive the reason I know is I’ve bought plenty of for use on boats . Do you use a  light weight foam coring as well?

strick