What's Inside A Pinpointer?

The LRL manufacturers will probably start using the guts out of these to make their product more believable. 

I just ordered a garret pinpointer from ebay, how can I tell if its fake? 

Seller information

jbur98 (3700 ) About jbur98
100% Positive feedback

feedback looks good.

Thread on fake Garrett pinpointers at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1216-fake-garrett-pin-pointers/

I guess I would be less worried about it being fake and just want it to work. If you can detect a nickel in the air at about 3 inches you are good to go.

Since they do appear to be a Garrett dealer I doubt you have much to worry about. 

Apparently the main dif to the Garret fakes is the fake is as per most detectors, a motion detector whereas the real McCoy can be held still and detect. I have a fake and it is annoying having to keep it in motion in tight spots. As I`ve not used any other could someone please confirm or deny the non-motion motion notion. If it is true, it is a big advantage if the pinpointer can be held still.

12 minutes ago, Norvic said:

As I`ve not used any other could someone please confirm or deny the non-motion motion notion.

12 minutes ago, Norvic said:

As I`ve not used any other could someone please confirm or deny the non-motion motion notion.

Mine works with out motion also the vibration increases as you get close to the target. Get rid of that and get a new one.

Yeah, thought that was so, well I`ll just have to go with a real one. I imagine being a non-motion detector would make them much more applicable as a pinpointer.