New From Washington

Dasbear

I just recently regained my interest in metal detecting after 3yr break I did mostly schools and parks so got to thinking about a new detector upgrade from my HF9 and BH tracker IV to possibly a BH Time Ranger Pro? No decision made just yet as im still in search of reviews and info thats what led me to detectorprospector.com 

Welcome to the forum and we are glad that you are here.

Always nice to see a new face come along and ask for advice from some of us here.

The BH Tracker IV is a very basic unit, as I do have one myself I can tell you that it works for what it was designed for.

First off what is your price range that you want to stay in, as there are many more units out there that will work better than the 2 units you listed.

A great unit that I am talking about is the Minelab Vanquish 440 unit that is $279.00 on Amazon. With that said you may find a used one from someone here on the forum for less.

There have been many articles on the forum on all these units, so please read them and ask questions.

Since I have not used the Time Ranger Pro I will leave that to someone else to answer.

I do like the fact that Minelab has a 3 year warranty on their equipment to just 1 year from everyone else.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Yes the bh tracker iv is basic but got it for $25 from offerup a few years back. I found a review here from Steve??? Grouping the F19, Gold bug,the TECHNETICS 2 and BH Time Ranger together all at 19hz with only price separating them +5yr warranty on BHTR. F19 $449 and Time Ranger Pro $399  the coils of all 4 models interchangeable. I must say the $400 price is very attractive.

I did not know about the warranty on the other units and after I had looked at the Time Ranger Pro it seems it may be something to think about.

I am partial to the Equinox 800 that I got from my late grandfather. I actually got both of my detectors from him and I do use them both depending on what I am looking for.

Just make sure that if you plan to go into the water the entire unit is waterproof.

Yes the water proof thing is an obstacle for sure I was looking at some detectors able to go up to 10ft in water but not sure if Im that interested in deep water detecting. In one review of the BHTR Pro the 4" G BUG coil was used for detecting 038gn gold nugget so using it near or in small streams or rivers for gold could be interesting if you have other reccomendations for similar or better units let me know.

Welcome, Dasbear!  My suggestion is to take a bit of time with your buying decision (I assume the detecting weather isn't great there in the Pacific Northwest).  You will find tons of info here on this site, and I would start by familiarizing yourself with site admin Steve Herschbach's database.  Not only does that contain overviews (with specs) but also links to other pertinent info.  I'm confident you will find a fine performer within your budget.  Your choice may still end up being one of the Fisher Gold Bug family members but you may as well view the field before taking the plunge.  (How's that for back-to-back cliche's.  😁)

Welcome aboard Dasbear !  

$400 is a good price point to look for a detector . 

`This is a great place to find out everything you want to know about that BH and others as well.. I'm sure you'll be happy with what you end up with.

Where are you going to be detecting ? Maybe there's a member of the forum near you !

Im in western Wa and you are right the weather really SUCKS right now. I was really excited when I found all John H's analysis and reviews on the BHTR Pro but at the same time I knew I'd be able to "dig up some really good stuff" 😁 on other detectors from all the members here so the brakes are on for the moment.

Thanks for all advice 

Welcome Dasbear,

Beautiful state you have there! Many of us have taken "breaks" from detecting! Mine was 30+ years! Wish it had only been 3+ like you! I missed alot! Good luck with whatever you decide to buy! Used is a great way to save some coin!👍👍