Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

I still love my GPZ 7000 to me it is king but as a dealer guess what I would rather do training on? The areas I do instruction are near town and have been well and truly pounded over the 6 years we’ve been trading as such it is getting very hard to find a piece of gold using the 7000 in the given time frames (it is also a very hard thing to do to walk around with another person and focus on edge of detection signals whilst instructing).

In the past few weeks (since I recovered from the dreaded) I’ve done 3 or 4 x GPX 6000 sessions  and 2 or 3 x GPZ7000 training sessions, in every case I have found 3 pieces each time in the 6000 sessions and nil with the 7000, because the gold is just not plentiful enough there now without spending considerable time and focusing hard.

The GPZ7000 requires about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of assembly/fit out and instruction in the shop then 1 1/2 to 2 hours one on one in the field with another session a few days later to cover off on any questions ect (ongoing phone support or further refresher instruction), this is bare minimum to get someone up to speed and using that machine correctly. This is my commitment to our GPZ customers to make sure they have the best opportunity of finding gold and using the machine at its full potential. 

The GPX 6000 also gets similar treatment with assembly and instruction in the shop and then field training but it is so much easier to do even with total newbies, the weight is one factor but also the simplicity of the controls. Controlling the coil is paramount to effective detecting, even though we go to great pains to set people up with the 7K it is still a heavy machine and requires time spent learning how to control the coil properly.

Going over my well worked training areas with the 6000 makes me look like superman, there is nothing more gratifying than scoring a nugget with a customer listening in, showing something is possible for real is very empowering. The GPX 6000 makes me look very good. ? 

JP

Speci piece I found last training session in someone refilled hole. (Approx 2 grams enclosed)

6873ABDA-0206-443E-AE96-A29F42BFC13E.thumb.jpeg.9ba7ff5c0be6874541f1e18867295abf.jpeg

49638E6A-294E-45CD-97F7-6DB1823F0BC9.thumb.jpeg.d9853399932ded99d6946277a194c54d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

NV-OR-ID-CA-Au - GPZ-8000?  Why not a GPX-6500 with Updated Software and Iron Disc.  Or better yet, why not another manufacture give us users another high end PI?  Yes, getting the kids out to enjoy what we did as young ones, is priceless.  Thanks for adding content.

Phrunt - You said "I think everyone should just be happy with their own choices, and they likely have reasons for them and enjoy whatever detector they're using.   Steve was a straight shooter on the 6000 from the start and for that I'm very appreciative, I just didn't like missing out but I'll give my 6000 plenty of use, it's so light it can tag along in my backpack especially with a smaller coil on it.

We all like certain detectors for certain reasons, not all of our reasons are the same."

Well said my friend and soon we'll get more coil options.

JP- You said "In the past few weeks (since I recovered from the dreaded) I’ve done 3 or 4 x GPX 6000 sessions  and 2 or 3 x GPZ7000 training sessions, in every case I have found 3 pieces each time in the 6000 sessions and nil with the 7000, because the gold is just not plentiful enough there now without spending considerable time and focusing hard.

Going over my well worked training areas with the 6000 makes me look like superman, there is nothing more gratifying than scoring a nugget with a customer listening in, showing something is possible for real is very empowering. The GPX 6000 makes me look very good. ?"

Spot on my friend.  The 6000 makes my Staff/I look like Kings at finding gold during the Field Training and that's the exact same area we've been training since late 90's.  Beautiful gold btw and thanks for contributing.

• Like 2

Aye, but regardless of how impressed we are with it`s performance and that it has simple controls that make it a turn on and go machine, we are only early into learning how to get the most out of it. Don`t be fooled by its top response on shallow scraps, the 6000 has depth, "ghost" signals  even that "chattering" that will be better exploited once we have a range of coil sizes and varied windings the aftermarket coil manufacturers are renowned for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

Aye, but regardless of how impressed we are with it`s performance and that it has simple controls that make it a turn on and go machine, we are only early into learning how to get the most out of it. Don`t be fooled by its top response on shallow scraps, the 6000 has depth, "ghost" signals  even that "chattering" that will be better exploited once we have a range of coil sizes and varied windings the aftermarket coil manufacturers are renowned for.

Totally agree....the signal filtering allows for deep inverted signals to be more obvious than previous GPX models. Ive dug some damned deep junk on spots that have been hammered for years....

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jasong said:

A lightweight 8000 that goes as deep or deeper than the 7000 will be the new king by default. But they really need something completely new and different after that to keep a good number of people buying these machines in this price range, IMO. 

Logic would suggest that a lightweight, Geosense powered GPZ that uses flat-wound and/or concentric coils would be the 7000's successor. This alone would provide the extra depth and comfort to sell a high-end detector in the thousands... We all know that the gold is sitting there, out of reach. It just needs the technology to catch up to sense it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As much as I enjoy the 6000 for all the reasons stated, I still very much like the versatility the 7000 has to offer. GB-modes, gold-modes, filtering, threshold volume/volume, etc, all of it is missing on the 6000. Of course, the easiness of use comes in handy in particular for detecting beginners. However, I at times prefer to choose the settings for a given location and not let the machine pick for me. This reminds me a bit of cameras. They have fantastic point and shoot cameras nowadays, but does it really make the advanced high end Nikon (or Canon...) models obsolete?

"GPX-6000 NEWEST TECHNOLOGY – Who wants to use a 7 yr old cell phone (GPZ-7000)."

Gerry, as for ZVT, do you really think this is old stuff from yesterday and obsolete? As smart as geosense is, I still think ZVT has a lot to offer and should not be completed dismissed. After all, the 7000 is still ML's flagship detector. IMHO, I don't think it makes much sense to compare the 6000 with the 7000. Both are different machines with different underlying technologies, each having their strengths and weaknesses. I can see why advanced users still continue to value the 7000, me included. Assuming the 7000 would be as ergonomically advanced and as light as the 6000, and would have the desired coil versatility, would that alone not make the 7000 a much better match, even though using the "7 year old technology"? All this being said, if I today had to award a king trophy it would for sure go to the 6000.  This detector is an absolute delight and would absolutely earn this title, all things considered.

GC

• Like 5

GC ZVTs not dead by a long shot, the 7000 was just the pioneer of ZVT, ML will blow us away with their follow up as they have with the 6K and those before, (JPs been swinging an early ZVT2 for awhile now, he`s been way too quiet?) ZVT will be King again, patience my friend, the 6Ks reign may indeed be short but for prospecting new patches amongst the tall grass its given this  GitB "old fart" a new lease of life.

Tis amazing that we debate passionately about two competing machines that are not made by competing manufacturers.

• Like 5